2005 Audi A8 3.0 ASB - Auto transmission 6HP19A - Defined Test Drive - 09L (GZV)

poxxxy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=149927
Hi guys,

So I know i'm going to kick myself but I bought an Audi A8 from a friend who's motor I tuned a year or so ago. The transmission (6HP19A GZV 09L) is going into limp and sticking in 3rd and reverse. He took it to a gearbox place that suggested that the solenoids were faulty (however I doubt this to be the case), he since replaced all solenoids and changed out the fluid with some Lifeguard 8 spec'd ATF.

Now I have since learned the code prior to changing solenoids was P0783, since he performed the changes I have personally witnessed the following codes:

Code:
17167 - Shift Monitoring 
            P0783 - 001 - 3-4 Shift - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00100001
                    Fault Priority: 0
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 40
                    Mileage: 284524 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2018.02.14
                    Time: 12:40:11

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 1824 /min
                    RPM: 1792 /min
                    RPM: 1120 /min
                    (no units): 42.0
                    (no units): 53.0
                    Temperature: 56.0°C
                    T.B. Angle: 21.2°

17119 - Gear 5 
            P0735 - 000 - Incorrect Ratio
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 01100000
                    Fault Priority: 0
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 40
                    Mileage: 284552 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2018.02.14

Now... I will be checking the fill level with the correct ZF procedure however I do not have erwin access to see what Audi say specifically...

Measuring blocks 73-77 are unavailable on this particular TCM so i'm not sure if there is any MVB data that may help me get to the bottom of things. The SW version is 9970 so I have been able to reset adaptation values by reading and saving channel 00 but the defined test drive for this is not documented on the Ross tech site or forum as far as I can tell. Perhaps someone is able to help so I can at least do the bare minimum before stripping down the box. I guess it is going to be clutch E stator bush failure and while stripping the box I may aswell change all bushes and steels along with clutch discs but i'd really rather not have too :D as it will be a steep learning curve and a costly lesson.

Much appreciate any help!

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello,

The fault codes above could be caused by higher than normal engine torque, like a tuned engine controller.

You could keep an eye on the Measuring Value Block group [001] in the [02-Auto Trans] controller, while someone else is driving normally.
- You are looking at the 'input' and 'output' speeds, the transmission controller will set a code when there is an unacceptable ratio.

This may help to see when this concern occurs, but it does not obviously give you the reason why.

We suggest to subscribe to erWin and follow the ATF fill and level checking sections.

Official Factory Repair Information

There does not appear to be any documented procedure for a defined test drive. You can simply drive the vehicle with light acceleration to top gear, let off the throttle and cost to the lowest gear possible (be safe, follow all traffic laws!) then accelerate again to get the transmission to top gear and decelerate, repeat 5-6 times..

Hope this helps,

drpeter

Reactions: Uwe
Back