Not open for further replies.

icardiag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=113031
Hello,
suddenly my genuine Hex-Can USB is identified as a "Ross-Tech Direct USB Interface". Tried several computers with several Windows (XP, 7, 32/64) version, different USB2 and USB3 ports, no chance, it's same so I think the cable has gone.
Is there a possibility to fix it somehow or should I buy a new cable? That would be quite shame, as I wanted to buy the Hex-Net as soon as it is available...
Thanks in advance,
ICardDiag
deadcable.jpg

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
Welcome to the forum.

Does the green LED light up when plugged in?

At the moment Ross-Tech Direct USB Interface doesn't show in my Win7 32bit Device Manager but my HEX-USB+CAN works.

Try reinstalling the software and try Beta 14.8.1

icardiag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=113031
Keith, of course I tried both reinstalling and the latest version, same results. Maybe just the cable is dead, well after 6 years of usage it has at least a moral right to be dead :confused:
The green LED is lit up when plugged in, but it's not blinking as normally used to.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
In Device Manager, double-click on the interface and open its properties sheet. Click on the Details tab and then select Hardware IDs from the Property selection box. What PID and VID do you see?

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
If the interface does turn out to be bad, I wouldn't buy a new one just yet. I think Ross-Tech here in the US offers flat-rate repair options, which would be much cheaper than buying a new interface outright, but I'm not sure how that works if you bought the interface from a distributor overseas. Also, if you can do without the interface for a short while, the HEX-NET interface is likely to be out of Beta in a matter of weeks, and it's possible they might have upgrade options when they go to market.

All that said, I would really think the interface would be DEAD if it was dead, not showing up as some other device type. I would not make any moves before talking with Ross-Tech support.

Jason

icardiag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=113031
Thanks for reply guys. If the HexNet would be available within a week or two, that would be fine. But waiting weeks or months is a no-go option for me. I use the cable daily...
Here are the VID & PID details - VID_0403, PID_FA24, REV_0600
deadvidpid.jpg

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Any chance this is a virtualized environment?

icardiag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=113031
Seb, no, it is (in fact was) a standard Windows 7 Ultimate. Just to be 100% sure I'm doing a clean reinstallation of W7 and will do a clean installation of the latest VCDS Beta 14.8.1.

If I'm right there was a firmware update of the HexCan cable in the latest version. Maybe just the old installation of Windows screw up the drivers and the cable was not identified correctly? But this seems to be weird, everything was working fine until saturday and suddenly from monday it's not working? A clean install of Windows + VCDS is my last chance :rolleyes:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Here are the VID & PID details - VID_0403, PID_FA24, REV_0600
OK, that is as it should be.

Look at the About screen on VCDS please. Does it show a serial number there? If so, please copy it and PM it to me.

-Uwe-

icardiag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=113031
Hello,
sorry for being so late, I've been very busy last days. The cable is back & fully working! The problem was caused by messed up Windows installation and badly messed up drivers. After doing a clean Windows 7 installation + installing the latest Beta 14.8.1, everything was working again. I think the problem was somewhat related to fact that my cable got update to 1.93 version. With this version it cannot be used anymore with older versions of VCDS 12.x.
I'm just curious, why the cable is identified as Ross-Tech Hex-Can USB in the Device Manager, but after the driver installation the name changes to Ross-Tech Direct USB Interface... I bet my shoes in the previous version it remained as Ross-Tech Hex-Can USB after the driver installation.
Thanks for help so far!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I think the problem was somewhat related to fact that my cable got update to 1.93 version. With this version it cannot be used anymore with older versions of VCDS 12.x.
That's not correct; it will work fine with 12.12.3, but not 12.12.2 or earlier, a fact that's documented in the Release Notes section of the Beta download page. ;)

I'm just curious, why the cable is identified as Ross-Tech Hex-Can USB in the Device Manager, but after the driver installation the name changes to Ross-Tech Direct USB Interface... I bet my shoes in the previous version it remained as Ross-Tech Hex-Can USB after the driver installation.
Nope, nothing has changed in that respect. Without the driver installed, neither Windows nor VCDS can identify the the interface properly because all it sees is whatever identifier string is in the USB chip, and that string goes all the way back to the original (non-CAN) HEX-USB.

-Uwe-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back