Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HEX-NET losing comms

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm having this issue to. Recently less, but still.

I stopped using Hex AP mode and switched to USB because it's more stable. When I'm at my home office i use Client-Mode with my table setup, but here is that Router is 5m away.

At work we need to use Hex Client mode. It works well at some cases, but i think the issue might be HEX not so good antenna or low transmit power(No idea really how low/high it is). PC-s and Tablets work well with WiFi.
    Main computer that technicians use is connected via Cable and the Router that's AP, is installed on wall with good visibility to all needed directions.
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ive got 5 bar signal from the interface showing on laptop, this laptop is very good and giving the real signal strength and also very good at picking up weak signals but the signal is good and laptop is never more than 5 feet away from the interface.

As said I'll give it a go with cable and see, if it dont dropout then there's a problem somewhere on the wifi

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Used it today with usb cable on same Golf that had airbag fault, no problem at all, gave it a good run, MB's, fault code and everything else and it worked perfect. Also tried laptop, log onto a wifi, move as far away as poss so the signal was very week and downloaded, just as a test 20 gig of data and the signal didnt drop out at all, so looks like Im going to have to dig deeper to see where / what the problem is
    Last edited by Liteace1; 06-08-2018 at 12:46 PM.

4. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you set a priority list in the WiFi interface on the laptop? I'm wondering if the laptop is seeing an equally strong (or stronger) WiFi signal than the HEX-Net and switching to that automatically?

I'm thinking set the HEX-NET to priority #1, and other known WiFi networks to #2 and lower.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    No wifi in the area so its not switching

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you take a look at the power setting for Wifi. I've experienced the same issues you describe and it was directly related to Wifi sleep settings:

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately Wifi signal strength is only part of the picture, packet loss could still be happening for other reasons. What kind of ping times do you see in VCDS when you're connected?

Some other things to check:
    Can you correlate these drops with anything, like for example someone running a microwave?
    What kind of wifi card does your laptop have? If it came with any sort of configuration software, check if there is an option for enabling a B/G compatibility mode. Do you have any other wifi adapter you could test with, like a USB one?
    Have you tried with engine running on the vehicle, does that make a difference?
    What kind of vehicle is this, does this vehicle have a built-in hotspot? Have you tried disabling that?
    Failing any of that, there is a phone app called "fing" that can show you all wifi networks and their channel and signal strength, it would be interesting to see the results from that.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cant attach the screenshot but got:

Wireless adapter settings:

On battery: Maximum Performance
    Plugged in: Maximum Performance

No microwave anywhere
    No idea what wifi card is in the laptop, i'll check
    Dont have any other wifi adapter, I'll get one
    Engine running on one vehicle to check engine MB's, the other vehicle only ignition on to check airbag MB's
    Vehicle dont have built-in hotspot, they was both old 2006 Golf's, both in different locations
    No idea about ping time, how do I check that

Thanks
    Last edited by Liteace1; 06-08-2018 at 01:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Liteace1 View Post
    No wifi in the area so its not switching
    But is it searching causing a disconnect?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, once logged on, it stays logged on, if the signal drops off from what ever its logged onto it wont automatically search for another signal, it will notify you that its lost signal or if the signal is very very weak with a popup from the taskbar, its not like a mobile phone where it keeps looking for and logging onto the stronger signal