HEX-NET losing comms

Liteace1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90243
Had the HEX-CAN for 9 years, used it 2 -3 times, sometimes more per week and never had a problem. Got the new HEX-NET, using it on the same laptop, Panasonic CF-19, Im using software 18.2.1, the firmware is up to date, I get the message "you are up to date" its keeps losing comms over wifi, its not the laptop as then will run all day using the same built in wifi adapter and connected to the net

Any ideas

Thanks

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Does the HEX-NET work OK when connected to the laptop with a USB cable?

What's the WiFi signal strength like where you are trying to use the HEX-NET? You might need a WiFi repeater if it's weak - I had to install a WiFi repeater when we moved home as the distance from the router was much greater than before.

Liteace1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90243
I don't use a router, the laptop is sitting on seat or roof of vehicle no more than 3 to 5 feet away from the interface, not tried it yet on usb cable as would like to use it cable free

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Please try adjusting or turning off the power savings settings in VCDS-Mobile:

Options
Adv Low Power Config

If this happens after a little while, that could be the cause of the problem. If it happens immediately, then some other interference could be the cause. Does it do the same thing when using VCDS-Mobile with the laptop or with your phone?

Reactions: Uwe

Liteace1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90243
Don't know, I've never used it on my mobile phone, I only use the vdcs program on the laptop, I've got nothing "mobile" ?

Had a Golf yesterday with airbag light on, checked codes, then checked MB's, while clicking up through the MB's it started losing coms

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Please try connecting using VCDS-Mobile. The easiest way to do that is using the PC connected via USB, then in VCDS go to Options and Config. On the Overview tab it should give you an IP address which you can click on. That brings up VCDS-Mobile in your PC's browser. The default password is this, all lower case:

password

Liteace1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90243
Sorry, I dont understand the "mobile" part of it, where do I find it, Ive got vcds icon on desktop that opens up the normal program and thats it ?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I don't use a router, the laptop is sitting on seat or roof of vehicle no more than 3 to 5 feet away from the interface
So what generates your WiFi and connects you to the internet? Is your laptop acting as an access point to a 3G/4G network, or some other method?

Liteace1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90243
My laptop dont connect to the internet unless it has to, I use the laptop only for diag work, its got built in wifi that I can switch on if needed for online work or updates, before hex-net came along it was switched off, its switched on now but only to coms or try and coms with the hex-net interface, all other net connections are disabled, I use desktop for internet

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
My laptop dont connect to the internet unless it has to, I use the laptop only for diag work, its got built in wifi that I can switch on if needed for online work or updates, its switched on now but only to coms or try and coms with the hex-net interface, all other net connections are disabled, I use desktop for internet
Are you 100% sure that your laptop is capable of acting as an access point (to which the HEX-NET would connect)? That's not a feature that most laptops have, their WiFi is normally only intended to act as a WiFi client.

Might help if you told us what make/model your laptop is...

Liteace1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90243
Make and model in 1st post, Panasonic CF-19 i5

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What version of windows are you running?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Sorry, I dont understand the "mobile" part of it, where do I find it, Ive got vcds icon on desktop that opens up the normal program and thats it ?
If you point a browser at the IP address of your HEX-NET, you will get VCDS-Mobile. If you're using your HEX-NET in AP mode (implied by "I don't use a router") then that address is 192.168.0.1.

Is it possible that Windows is disconnecting from the HEX-NET's AP and connecting to something else when this happens?

-Uwe-

Liteace1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90243
Im using w7 32bit, no its not connecting to something else when this happens, it just loses coms, if it was dropping the connection to the hex-net and connecting to something else I'd get a message pop up from the taskbar, the Golf there was nothing else for the laptop to connect to as there was no wifi there, it was a workshop in the middle of no where

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Is the laptop connected via battery or plugged into wall?

Liteace1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90243
The power plans have all be set so nothing sleeps when Im using it, the last thing I need is it having a little rest when its doing a PCM software update.
Its only plugged in the wall at night to charge the battery if needed, as said Ive had it connected to wifi internet for hours before when downloading, updating software and always on battery power and never had a problem

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
What diagnostic functions are you trying to perform when this happens? Have you tried doing the same thing over USB to see if it also drops? This might not be a WIFI issue at all.

Liteace1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90243
I tried it when I 1st got it on a 2012 Polo with USB and it worked a treat, dead happy, the reason I didnt use the wifi is because I grabbed it out the box and didnt read anything.

I then set it up on the wifi, I used it on a old shit Seat ibiza and it lost coms, i thought it was the car so wasnt to worried, I then checked Engine MB's on a Golf with a running problem, it lost coms, I then checked fault codes and Mb's on another Golf, clicking up through the MB's, lost coms, hour glass appeared, it re-connected and carried one working then the same thing happend again.

I will try over the next few days with USB cable and see what happens, I'll also try and record the screen when it does happen

Thanks ALL for ALL your help and suggestions

410-clinking-beer-mugs.png

Back