HEX-NET losing comms

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
I'm having this issue to. Recently less, but still.

I stopped using Hex AP mode and switched to USB because it's more stable. When I'm at my home office i use Client-Mode with my table setup, but here is that Router is 5m away.

At work we need to use Hex Client mode. It works well at some cases, but i think the issue might be HEX not so good antenna or low transmit power(No idea really how low/high it is). PC-s and Tablets work well with WiFi.
Main computer that technicians use is connected via Cable and the Router that's AP, is installed on wall with good visibility to all needed directions.

Liteace1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90243
Ive got 5 bar signal from the interface showing on laptop, this laptop is very good and giving the real signal strength and also very good at picking up weak signals but the signal is good and laptop is never more than 5 feet away from the interface.

As said I'll give it a go with cable and see, if it dont dropout then there's a problem somewhere on the wifi

Liteace1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90243
Used it today with usb cable on same Golf that had airbag fault, no problem at all, gave it a good run, MB's, fault code and everything else and it worked perfect. Also tried laptop, log onto a wifi, move as far away as poss so the signal was very week and downloaded, just as a test 20 gig of data and the signal didnt drop out at all, so looks like Im going to have to dig deeper to see where / what the problem is

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Can you set a priority list in the WiFi interface on the laptop? I'm wondering if the laptop is seeing an equally strong (or stronger) WiFi signal than the HEX-Net and switching to that automatically?

I'm thinking set the HEX-NET to priority #1, and other known WiFi networks to #2 and lower.

Liteace1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90243
No wifi in the area so its not switching

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Can you take a look at the power setting for Wifi. I've experienced the same issues you describe and it was directly related to Wifi sleep settings:

VsvFMsm.png

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Unfortunately Wifi signal strength is only part of the picture, packet loss could still be happening for other reasons. What kind of ping times do you see in VCDS when you're connected?

Some other things to check:
Can you correlate these drops with anything, like for example someone running a microwave?
What kind of wifi card does your laptop have? If it came with any sort of configuration software, check if there is an option for enabling a B/G compatibility mode. Do you have any other wifi adapter you could test with, like a USB one?
Have you tried with engine running on the vehicle, does that make a difference?
What kind of vehicle is this, does this vehicle have a built-in hotspot? Have you tried disabling that?
Failing any of that, there is a phone app called "fing" that can show you all wifi networks and their channel and signal strength, it would be interesting to see the results from that.

Liteace1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90243
Cant attach the screenshot but got:

Wireless adapter settings:

On battery: Maximum Performance
Plugged in: Maximum Performance

No microwave anywhere
No idea what wifi card is in the laptop, i'll check
Dont have any other wifi adapter, I'll get one
Engine running on one vehicle to check engine MB's, the other vehicle only ignition on to check airbag MB's
Vehicle dont have built-in hotspot, they was both old 2006 Golf's, both in different locations
No idea about ping time, how do I check that

Thanks

Last edited:

Liteace1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=90243
No, once logged on, it stays logged on, if the signal drops off from what ever its logged onto it wont automatically search for another signal, it will notify you that its lost signal or if the signal is very very weak with a popup from the taskbar, its not like a mobile phone where it keeps looking for and logging onto the stronger signal

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
No, once logged on, it stays logged on, if the signal drops off from what ever its logged onto it wont automatically search for another signal, it will notify you that its lost signal or if the signal is very very weak with a popup from the taskbar, its not like a mobile phone where it keeps looking for and logging onto the stronger signal
That's not how the WiFi on either a W7 or W10 PC we have behaves - if it thinks there is a stronger WiFi available that it has previously attached to then it will just swap without any notification.

icardiag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=113031
I'm hijacking this thread to add my experience:
When I plug in my HexNet in wireless mode and connect to it, it keeps the connection only 3 minutes until the last command sent to it (regardless fault reading, coding or adaptation change). I measured it, the time is exactly 180 seconds and it seems to me like a "power saving" function, all the leds turn off except the green one near the button which blinks in short cycles every second or so.
I'd like to have this "power saving" turned off. It's really annoying to unplug the HexNet from OBD, replug it back, wait for wifi to connect, then in VCDS to the Test in Config menu and then continue where I was before...
My HexNet is 2 years old and it has the latest codeblock inside.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
When I plug in my HexNet in wireless mode and connect to it, it keeps the connection only 3 minutes until the last command sent to it (regardless fault reading, coding or adaptation change). I measured it, the time is exactly 180 seconds and it seems to me like a "power saving" function, all the leds turn off except the green one near the button which blinks in short cycles every second or so.
Indeed there is: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_6.php#6.10

I'd like to have this "power saving" turned off. It's really annoying to unplug the HexNet from OBD, replug it back, wait for wifi to connect, then in VCDS to the Test in Config menu and then continue where I was before...
You'll need to login to the VCDS Mobile user interface and turn it off from there. There's no way to configure it from VCDS Desktop. However, your setting is saved permanently, so you only need to do it once. Let us know if you need more specific instructions on how to do that.

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
This sounds like the HEX-NET itself is going into power saving mode; and you are using the HN on a car that doesn't have an ignition live on the diagnostic port. Simply turn off the power saving feature of the HN:

Main Screen > Options > Adv, Low Power Config > Uncheck 'use Vbat' and 'use Vign'

uJvpcLC.png

ikzUp8X.png

wzqjbWt.png

icardiag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=113031
Jason & Zenerdiode, thanks for the hint indeed I had it in default settings. Life is always about learning new things every day :thumbs:

sazimam

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=217645
My HexNet is 2 years old and it has the latest codeblock inside.

Exactly the same here in my case !!

sazimam

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=217645
Jason & Zenerdiode, thanks for the hint indeed I had it in default settings. Life is always about learning new things every day :thumbs:

Thank you guyz, helped me too. Since now I was switching between wifi and USB like crazy with dependency how reliable connection I really need...

Best wishes to all of you 💛 !!

Back