Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HEX-NET losing comms

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

HEX-NET losing comms

Had the HEX-CAN for 9 years, used it 2 -3 times, sometimes more per week and never had a problem. Got the new HEX-NET, using it on the same laptop, Panasonic CF-19, Im using software 18.2.1, the firmware is up to date, I get the message "you are up to date" its keeps losing comms over wifi, its not the laptop as then will run all day using the same built in wifi adapter and connected to the net

Any ideas

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the HEX-NET work OK when connected to the laptop with a USB cable?

What's the WiFi signal strength like where you are trying to use the HEX-NET? You might need a WiFi repeater if it's weak - I had to install a WiFi repeater when we moved home as the distance from the router was much greater than before.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't use a router, the laptop is sitting on seat or roof of vehicle no more than 3 to 5 feet away from the interface, not tried it yet on usb cable as would like to use it cable free

Post Thanks / Like
    Please try adjusting or turning off the power savings settings in VCDS-Mobile:

Options
    Adv Low Power Config

If this happens after a little while, that could be the cause of the problem. If it happens immediately, then some other interference could be the cause. Does it do the same thing when using VCDS-Mobile with the laptop or with your phone?

5. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know, I've never used it on my mobile phone, I only use the vdcs program on the laptop, I've got nothing "mobile" ?

Had a Golf yesterday with airbag light on, checked codes, then checked MB's, while clicking up through the MB's it started losing coms

Post Thanks / Like
    Please try connecting using VCDS-Mobile. The easiest way to do that is using the PC connected via USB, then in VCDS go to Options and Config. On the Overview tab it should give you an IP address which you can click on. That brings up VCDS-Mobile in your PC's browser. The default password is this, all lower case:

password

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I dont understand the "mobile" part of it, where do I find it, Ive got vcds icon on desktop that opens up the normal program and thats it ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Liteace1 View Post
    I don't use a router, the laptop is sitting on seat or roof of vehicle no more than 3 to 5 feet away from the interface
    So what generates your WiFi and connects you to the internet? Is your laptop acting as an access point to a 3G/4G network, or some other method?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    My laptop dont connect to the internet unless it has to, I use the laptop only for diag work, its got built in wifi that I can switch on if needed for online work or updates, before hex-net came along it was switched off, its switched on now but only to coms or try and coms with the hex-net interface, all other net connections are disabled, I use desktop for internet

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Liteace1 View Post
    My laptop dont connect to the internet unless it has to, I use the laptop only for diag work, its got built in wifi that I can switch on if needed for online work or updates, its switched on now but only to coms or try and coms with the hex-net interface, all other net connections are disabled, I use desktop for internet
    Are you 100% sure that your laptop is capable of acting as an access point (to which the HEX-NET would connect)? That's not a feature that most laptops have, their WiFi is normally only intended to act as a WiFi client.

Might help if you told us what make/model your laptop is...