Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Octavia III "faulty lights" message without any fault in 09 or 55

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    My understanding also isnt as good as I wish, just as I understood, Skoda is the "black sheep" of VWAG concern at least what about the informations that they are securing (Elsa data is a great example...) while they themselves (authorised services) are not familiar with these ... Shame on them ... Ive no polite words for it ... It is so embarassing to try to find something in front of a customer (at least undocumented also in VCDS if it is even possible - to disable cold diagnosis of turn signal bulbs) what could not solve the authorised dealer ... The owner speaks to someone directly from Skoda and found some previous records where was mentioned fault of a front left turn signal (the bulb is blinking - maybe slightly weaker than the right one - and has a special socket, so the one fu*king bulb cost about fourty bucks... and the exchange procedure is also f*cking great - bumper out, headlight out...), so Ive tried to find out how to disable cold diagnose, but without success even with experimental description of coding - is it even possible in this BCM (or elsewere)???

At least Ive deactivated the SS (also tried to found how to get rid of the warning symbol in instrument cluster w/o success, but this is just "cosmetic issue"...) ...

And btw. reseting of adp values in BCM also "unticked" the automatic locking while driving, but it was just a moment to set it up again ...

Starting to hate the MQB platform ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FandaTDI View Post
    The owner speaks to someone directly from Skoda and found some previous records where was mentioned fault of a front left turn signal (the bulb is blinking - maybe slightly weaker than the right one - and has a special socket, so the one fu*king bulb cost about fourty bucks... and the exchange procedure is also f*cking great - bumper out, headlight out...)
    It is JUST possible to cutout the section of the headlight without removing it to get access to the turn signal bulb and replace it (but expect to injure your fingers somewhere along the way) - but you still need to buy the repair part to fill the hole you have to make to get the bulb out.

Skoda use the phrase "Simply Clever" well I'm sorry but to me this piece of design is "Simply Stupid"

3. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, he also mentioned some repair kit (about five times cheaper than the bulb itself...) a he will see ...But still if you want to have a detailed sight to a contacts, it will be better to do it the more complex way... He is also kind a perfectionalist, but when the light works, hell also accept just to deactivate cold diagnose (if it is even possible) ...

When "Simply clever" mentioned, I hear "Simply knedl" (knedlk=dumpling) and am not sure if it is not insult of a dumpling ... :-D Eventhough kind of sentiment is there also ... Some Skodas are/used to be good cars...

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    so Ive tried to find out how to disable cold diagnose, but without success even with experimental description of coding - is it even possible in this BCM (or elsewere)???

Starting to hate the MQB platform ...
    Fanda: "hate the MQB platform"? Why ever would you say that?

MQB is a thing of beauty and joy - it's a symphony of a design concept. If anyone doubted the existence of an omnipotent deity (or is that "impotent deity" - I always get the two words mixed-up), they need only examine the WD for MQB platform vehicles to be convinced of the error of their atheism!

But more seriously to your hunt for a "cold diagnosis" software switch, I'm not aware that MQB platform vehicles have this specific facility (happy to be told otherwise by more experience colleagues here).

However, as you have probably already observed through your admap examination, MQB platform vehicles have an emphasis on adaptation channels (IMO). My early model Golf mk7 (MQB base) has over 2,500 adaptation channels in total in its database, of which about 40% are contained within the BCM. So it's perhaps not surprising that whereas previous model Golfs had the lamp "cold diagnosis" software switch in their code-string, my MQB vehicle now has a near-equivalent facility in the BCM adaptation channels.

The other difference with MQB vehicles that I've observed is that whereas lamp "cold diagnosis" in early model Golfs was mostly (but less-so in later non-MQB model Golfs) a master-switch for ALL exterior lamps, the design of the near-equivalent facility on MQB vehicles is more distributed: it can be selectively applied, or selectively disabled at an individual lamp level.

So, if you look at the Leuchte-sets in your BCM admap, you will find that each grouping of 19 x adaption channels has two channels related to lamp-error monitoring - these are:

Lampendefektbit position (in English - Lamp defect bit position), and
    Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC (in English - Error Location Medium Byte DTC-DFCC)

I'm not sure how the settings for these 2 x channels operate, but on my mk7, I've observed that the values are never repeated across the 35 x Leutche-sets. From this, I deduce (guess really) that the settings for these channels might be memory address locations, but I freely admit that my guess might be just fanciful conjecture!

Anyhow, I've found in my experimentation on my "virtual mk7" (my MQB test-bench) that if the settings for these channels are changed to hex00, the Leuchte-set no longer monitors and/or reports error messages for the allied lamp. So, in a sense - this change is like the "cold diagnosis" facility in earlier model Golfs except that it disables ALL error-monitoring/error-reporting at a lamp level and it can be applied to individual lamps.

With this explanation as background to your question, perhaps a way forward in your suspicion about the involvement of the left-side headlight assembly to the problem is to selectively turn-off lamp monitoring to the lamps in this fitting. Normally, I abhor solutions that fix the "effect", rather than the "cause" of a problem but yours appears to be an odd-problem.

So, according to your BCM admap - for the left-side turn-signal lamp, the Leuchte-channels are:

ENG116936-ENG115875-Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 0 > current value 14 >change to 00
    ENG116936-ENG116547-Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Lampendefektbit Position 0 > current value 34 > change to 00

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 07-06-2018 at 09:36 PM.
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

6. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Fanda: "hate the MQB platform"? Why ever would you say that?

MQB is a thing of beauty and joy - it's a symphony of a design concept.
    I 100% agree that the concept of MQB is excellent, but it's the execution of SOME MQB cars that is crazy in the extreme - the example above of having to destroy part of the headlamp housing to be able to replace the front indicator bulb (which is expected to be a wear & tear item as it's a halogen bulb) on the Octavia III (5E) and then having to buy a repair kit to cover the hole you've had to make is an example of the muddled thinking in the application of the MQB concept. In this example why couldn't the repair kit be part of the original factory build?

8. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Little late, but solved by sw upgrade at a dealer... I wish VCDS can also do that... :-P (especially when the actual sw is free after registration in erwin...)

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Little late, but solved by sw upgrade at a dealer... I wish VCDS can also do that... :-P (especially when the actual sw is free after registration in erwin...)
    We would like that also but we are not permitted to connect to VAG's servers and we cannot distribute through VCDS their updates owing to the legal matters of ownership and distribution. Unfortunately, until VAG decides that Ross-Tech's VCDS is a viable channel through which they wish to have their updates offered to the aftermarket, VCDS will not be able to assist with such.

We all want it...

11. Likes PetrolDave, Jack@European_Parts, Uwe liked this post