VAG and car’s computer disagree

dodaman

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=332400
Hello Everyone.

Newb here. I had old VW’s 30yrs ago, switched up for a long time, and now I am back in the VAG family. Anyway, I picked up a 2005 Audi A4 3.0L Cabriolet with very low miles a few months ago. I bought the DIY VAGCOM and have been running some scans. So far, the VAGCOM shows no faults, which is a plus. But the car’s instrument cluster computer shows several functions in the red when I press the check button. For ex. Coolant, brakes and oil pressure. The engine light never comes on. Also, none of these items that I listed flash or come on while I am driving either. I’ve run multiple overall scans as well as specific scans for each category. All of them come back with no fault codes. Should I be worried and have these systems checked? Not worry about it as the VAGCOM didn’t show any codes? I asked this question on a few Audi sites, but no one has answered. I wanted to see what the consensus was on this forum. Thanks in advance for the comments and advice. I am looking forward to looking over this site and using the product. Have a good one.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
IIRC, red is the only color those instrument clusters can show, so I wouldn't read much into the color.

Can you give us the exact text of those messages please?

-Uwe-

dodaman

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=332400
IIRC, red is the only color those instrument clusters can show, so I wouldn't read much into the color.

Can you give us the exact text of those messages please?

-Uwe-

Thanks for the reply. Do you mean the instrument messages? That’s what I’m figuring. Well, when I press the check button, it is supposed to run or scan through the systems in the car. Yellow means a heads up, so to speak, and the red color means warning to Get it looked at right away. So when I push the button, I get brakes, coolant and oil pressure in a row, all red. Then the rest scan fine and the k comes on last. Normally, I Get the OK once it is started and put into gear. Is this what you meant by messages? Thanks.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Remember not ALL things are monitored by the cars diagnostic systems, even things that are reported on the DIS may not be...

And if VAG don't include monitoring in their systems then VCDS can't report them.

BTW the name VAGCOM was dropped several years ago :thumbs:

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
...But the car’s instrument cluster computer shows several functions in the red when I press the check button.

Your Instrument Cluster is sometimes known as the 'Highline' or FIS (Drivers' Information System). Believe it or not, the 'Check' button doesn't actually check anything. It just cycles through the items that could potentially be displayed. It may show a Brake Light indication on ignition on, that clears to 'OK' when you press the brake pedal for the first time. If any of the monitored systems develops a fault during your driving cycle, at that time it will give either the amber or red warning - depending on severity.

So I'm confident you don't have any faults. :)

dodaman

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=332400
Remember not ALL things are monitored by the cars diagnostic systems, even things that are reported on the DIS may not be...

And if VAG don't include monitoring in their systems then VCDS can't report them.

BTW the name VAGCOM was dropped several years ago :thumbs:

Thanks for the info and thank god that changed. I was tired of writing it.

dodaman

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=332400
Your Instrument Cluster is sometimes known as the 'Highline' or FIS (Drivers' Information System). Believe it or not, the 'Check' button doesn't actually check anything. It just cycles through the items that could potentially be displayed. It may show a Brake Light indication on ignition on, that clears to 'OK' when you press the brake pedal for the first time. If any of the monitored systems develops a fault during your driving cycle, at that time it will give either the amber or red warning - depending on severity.

So I'm confident you don't have any faults. :)

Thx a lot for the info. I knew I wasn’t calling it by the correct name. Sounds like I have nothing to worry about. Now onto some mods. Thanks again.

Back