Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D Premium Cluster 10% overspeed

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    My digital speed matches the analogue and VCDS measuring blocks are almost identical to GPS. I am aware of the regulations for underspeed and also a tolerance of 10%, however my old cluster had nowhere near as much error. I would just like to know if the cluster could in theory be reprogrammed using different cluster software to give me a better speed reading. I just can't understand why it's so far out when the speed sensors are clearly correct.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    In theory on common instruments the analogue speed reading can be reprogrammed. In most cases the whole speed range is segmented into three or four parts of slopes to have a magnifier effect on lower speeds. Each edge of those slopes is defined by CAN input data and pointer rotation angle. So it's a short x/y table with four or five lines. This table can be secured by a checksum.

You may need a software which is able to dump the EEPROM content from instrument cluster, or you may retrieve memory chip itself from cluster circuit board. To increase the difficulty, EEPROM content may be scrambled, or/and secured by an over-all checksum.

As your offset is 10% you may modify the pre-programmed k-factor into an individual value which fits your needs. This is possible on some clusters. On others you're just able to select one of those pre-programmed by manufacturer, even by modifying EEPROM data.

To stop all further requests: I don't have any EEPROM data about instrument clusters, nor I do any modifications. Please find a technician with sufficient knowledge to poke around on cluster EEPROM data. Really, this job isn't that easy and sometimes even impossible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Afield23 View Post
    Hi all

I have a set of 3D premium clocks from a Touran converted to diesel and kmh for my 2K Caddy. The speed over reads by 10% throughout the entire speed range. The impulse setting is correct (and cannot be changed anyway). Does anyone know if this something that could be corrected?
    What do you mean you can not chnage Impulse speed?

In CODING there should be 7 options
    Master Technician for German cars
    Immobilizer/ECU
    /Cluster Programing (Used or NEW) and Key Programing
    Mk6 COLOR cluster in Mk5 -CLIK

email : marinmm2001@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetta ,97 View Post
    What do you mean you can not chnage Impulse speed?

In CODING there should be 7 options
    Kinda hard to say what there is (or should be) since the OP hasn't bothered to post a scan.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

5. Likes NZDubNurd, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes all the options are there but coding is rejected for all 6 other options. I didn't post a scan because I didn't have the van and I merely wanted to know if clusters can be reprogrammed that was all. Looks like I'll be selling them and going back to my old cluster.

Thanks for all your input everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    why give up so easy? get an EEPROM reader (i.e. EEPROM clip + USB reader). if you're a bit lucky, both will be the same brand, preferably VDO 24C64.
    the it's a simple matter of reading both clusters, copying a few bytes and you're allright.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok well that sounds interesting - is that just the cable listed as 24c64? Any chance you can PM me more detail? I'm a novice so I need to understand it before I attempt anything.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    no it's not a cable, google eeprom clip for an image.
    there are some versions of the USB programmer on the market for it, I used the CH341a for example.
    Last edited by iichel; 06-04-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok looks like I need to read up on this because I have no idea what I'm looking at! Is the software to do all this easily available?

Post Thanks / Like
    nope... the difficult part is to find the so called offsets, the bits and bytes that code stuff.