3D Premium Cluster 10% overspeed

Afield23

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321984
Hi all

I have a set of 3D premium clocks from a Touran converted to diesel and kmh for my 2K Caddy. The speed over reads by 10% throughout the entire speed range. The impulse setting is correct (and cannot be changed anyway). Does anyone know if this something that could be corrected?

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
Well apart from rudimentary measures like suggesting different wheels and/or different magnetic hubs. :P
This is probably something embedded in the EEPROM of the cluster and cannot be changed with the VCDS programme.
You'll need some other tool for this, and then I don't know how to handle this. It will depend from manufacturer to manufacture (i.e. VDO, Johnson Instruments, Continental) what the procedure will be.

But otherwise, the 3D cluster sounds like a great mod for your car.

Afield23

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321984
Yes it's very frustrating. It's a great cluster but 10% is a big error and I've confirmed it with measuring blocks too. I hope someone will be able to explain if it's possible to correct this via EEPROM.

Thanks for the reply.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Yes it's very frustrating. It's a great cluster but 10% is a big error and I've confirmed it with measuring blocks too. I hope someone will be able to explain if it's possible to correct this via EEPROM.
Since altering the EEPROM isn't something that VCDS can do I suspect you'll need to look elsewhere...

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Right direction would be posting autoscan or if it is already posted in this forum, a link to it.

Currently we don't even know what kind of SW OP is running in 3D cluster.

Afield23

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321984
I'll post an autoscan when I can, but I only asked if this is something that could be fixed. I realise it's not a VCDS fixable issue but there isn't an EEPROM forum as far as I'm aware, and Spacewalker who sold them to me has essentially washed his hands of it.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Moving this to The Bar. :)

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
Are the VW clusters usually off by a %, or a fixed number?

I haven't checked mine, other than on the Climate control secret menu: Indicated 60KM/h on the dial only shows as 54km/h digital (as VCDS would read it). I haven't checked it at higher speeds, to see if it's the same 6km/h, or if it's actually 10% then too. That's on my unmodified 2006 Touran.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Are the VW clusters usually off by a %, or a fixed number?
Under EU Regulations speedos must not under-read but can over-read by up to 10%. So most manufacturers, including VW, calibrate their speedos to over-read by around 5% when the vehicle is fitted with OE size new tyres - to allow for tyre wear and general tolerancing.

Afield23

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321984
My digital speed matches the analogue and VCDS measuring blocks are almost identical to GPS. I am aware of the regulations for underspeed and also a tolerance of 10%, however my old cluster had nowhere near as much error. I would just like to know if the cluster could in theory be reprogrammed using different cluster software to give me a better speed reading. I just can't understand why it's so far out when the speed sensors are clearly correct.

Vanagaudi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=15934
In theory on common instruments the analogue speed reading can be reprogrammed. In most cases the whole speed range is segmented into three or four parts of slopes to have a magnifier effect on lower speeds. Each edge of those slopes is defined by CAN input data and pointer rotation angle. So it's a short x/y table with four or five lines. This table can be secured by a checksum.

You may need a software which is able to dump the EEPROM content from instrument cluster, or you may retrieve memory chip itself from cluster circuit board. To increase the difficulty, EEPROM content may be scrambled, or/and secured by an over-all checksum.

As your offset is 10% you may modify the pre-programmed k-factor into an individual value which fits your needs. This is possible on some clusters. On others you're just able to select one of those pre-programmed by manufacturer, even by modifying EEPROM data.

To stop all further requests: I don't have any EEPROM data about instrument clusters, nor I do any modifications. Please find a technician with sufficient knowledge to poke around on cluster EEPROM data. Really, this job isn't that easy and sometimes even impossible.

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Hi all

I have a set of 3D premium clocks from a Touran converted to diesel and kmh for my 2K Caddy. The speed over reads by 10% throughout the entire speed range. The impulse setting is correct (and cannot be changed anyway). Does anyone know if this something that could be corrected?

What do you mean you can not chnage Impulse speed?

In CODING there should be 7 options

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What do you mean you can not chnage Impulse speed?

In CODING there should be 7 options
Kinda hard to say what there is (or should be) since the OP hasn't bothered to post a scan. ;)

-Uwe-

Afield23

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321984
Yes all the options are there but coding is rejected for all 6 other options. I didn't post a scan because I didn't have the van and I merely wanted to know if clusters can be reprogrammed that was all. Looks like I'll be selling them and going back to my old cluster.

Thanks for all your input everyone.

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
why give up so easy? get an EEPROM reader (i.e. EEPROM clip + USB reader). if you're a bit lucky, both will be the same brand, preferably VDO 24C64.
the it's a simple matter of reading both clusters, copying a few bytes and you're allright.

Afield23

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321984
Ok well that sounds interesting - is that just the cable listed as 24c64? Any chance you can PM me more detail? I'm a novice so I need to understand it before I attempt anything.

Thanks!

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
no it's not a cable, google eeprom clip for an image.
there are some versions of the USB programmer on the market for it, I used the CH341a for example.

Last edited:

Afield23

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321984
Ok looks like I need to read up on this because I have no idea what I'm looking at! Is the software to do all this easily available?

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
nope... the difficult part is to find the so called offsets, the bits and bytes that code stuff.

Back