Bleeding brakes advice

mattylondon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219022
My car is an Audi A8 4E and recently I installed new pads and discs all round. While doing the work I noticed that the short brake line connected to the front caliper from the flexi line was corroded. Thinking it may be an inspection failure I decided to replace this short pipe on both fronts. They were that corroded they broke when I removed them. The flexi pipe was capped off with a bleeder screw so fluid did not escape. I don't have the tools to bend pipe so bought original from Audi, less then £9 for each so very reasonable. Then I had to wait as no UK stock. In the meantime I cleaned the calipers. Parts arrive, attach the front calipers, bleed them. And this is where I may have messed up... The brake fluid reservoir went just below the min and I may have air in the master cylinder, and I do have a spongy pedal. Reading the general internet most say to remove the MC and bench bleed. Reading VW/Audi forums about master cylinders people have just bleed on the car with no problems. The ABS is ESP 5.7 in the A8 4E. So should I just connect up my pressure bleeder and flush the system and few times with new fluid to remove the air?

The only brake bleeding info from Elsa is below, and there's no mention of pre priming a new MC before installation.

Unlike ESP 5.3, ESP 5.7 does not incorporate hydraulic pump -V156-. It is therefore not necessary to bleed the pre-charging pump with the diagnostic tester.

Just to add for Uwe and RT, second time I've used VCDS for rear electronic brake work/pads on the 4E with no problems at all :thumbs:

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So should I just connect up my pressure bleeder and flush the system and few times with new fluid to remove the air?
I would start there and if it call it good if it fixes the sponginess.

If not, you could try running the pump via Output Tests (not 100% sure whether the module supports it though), and another tactic is to find a slipper surface such as a gravel road or wet grass, where you can force the ABS into full activity without tearing up your tires.

-Uwe-

Gary

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=30906
Pressure bleed the system at 2 bar.
In this order.
1. n/s/f
2. o/s/f
3. n/s/r
4. o/s/r
Then you will have a perfect pedal.

a4bill

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=340446
Just something that came to mind while I was reading this thread.. does anyone think a pneumatic brake bleeder would work on these cars?
I used to use mine on my older Porsches and it was a godsend.

Thoughts?

Back