Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VCDS 18.2.1 changelog

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    I assume that Ross-Tech has always had a one-size-fits-all concept for it's software release versions.
    Correct.

I've noticed when updating that the exe-file seems to delete and then re-load the label files for every vehicle type in what I assume is the full VCDS repertoire of cars (which is an impressively large list).
    The trouble with "incremental" label (or .ROD) file updates is that sometimes new files come along that obsolete (or bifurcate) old files, and this can get quite messy. So we decided it's better just to wipe out all the existing files and install a clean set each time. That way we know we have a clean set, and not mish-mash that might yield unpredictable results.

I also assume that as new vehicles roll off the VAG assembly line in the future, the need to create new label files as well as the requirement to retain existing files into each SW release version will mean that the update exe file will continuously grow (I assume that this has happened over the intervening years since the fledgling VCDS SW version 1.0 was released).
    Yes, the Installer file does continue to grow, but at the current ~42 MB, it really isn't very large when viewed in he context of other software. Heck, I've seen "driver" packages for video boards that are 10x that size.

So with the above as a context, has RT thought about "sectioning" the update file so that the user can decide which vehicle, or vehicle type to load into the software on their laptop/tablet/mobile phone? I'm not sure, but I suspect that the user can achieve a similar outcome by culling the database in the existing arrangement, but my question is about a different approach. I'm not suggesting that the availability of vehicle types be in any way restricted to users that have limited VIN devices.
    First, tablets and mobile phones don't run the "classic" VCDS; you don't have to install any software on them at all to run VCDS-Mobile on them, so that's an entirely different ball of wax. Laptops: In an age where a 64 GB "hard drive" is pretty much the low end, I'm not too worried about taking up 100-150 MB of storage on someone's computer. So what would this strategy gain us (or you)?

I've not given any deep consideration as to how this option might operate, but I suspect that the update process would be a two-pass process where the new underlying VCDS software would be first loaded and the user would then request the database for specific vehicle types (including the option "ALL" - for professional workshop users). The updated label files for those vehicles that the user did not select would be remain available on the RT web-site, so additional vehicles could be loaded at any time. I suspect that that the process for updating will be more streamlined and for many (most?) users, the data transfer files will be much smaller - I think?
    Yes, we did take this sort of approach to the ASAM data for VCDS-Mobile on the HEX-NET. The HEX-NET only pulls down ROD files from the server for modules it knows it needs them for, by virtue of having "seen" (been connected to those modules). The downside to this is that the first time you connect to a car (or module), you don't have the data. After you've scanned a new car the first time, you then need to check for updates to get the relevant data. This is OK for someone like yourself who only uses the product on a very limited number of cars, but it's simply not acceptable to professionals. It was also a serious PITA to get this process working well/reliably.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

2. Likes DV52 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    The HEX-NET only pulls down ROD files from the server for modules it knows it needs them for, by virtue of having "seen" (been connected to those modules). The downside to this is that the first time you connect to a car (or module), you don't have the data. After you've scanned a new car the first time, you then need to check for updates to get the relevant data. This is OK for someone like yourself who only uses the product on a very limited number of cars, but it's simply not acceptable to professionals. It was also a serious PITA to get this process working well/reliably.

-Uwe-
    You mean VCDS-Mobile, or HEX-NET in general?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hadez16 View Post
    You mean VCDS-Mobile, or HEX-NET in general?
    I mean VCDS-Mobile. When you use a HEX-NET with the "classic" version of VCDS running on a Windows PC, VCDS does not care what ROD data is or is not stored on the HEX-NET.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iichel View Post
    Does not compute :P
    iichel: On this forum and given the unbelievable, but totally awesome expertise of many of the truly "veteran" forum members - I consider my meager participation to be embryonic at best!! And, almost all of my 2,000-ish posts have been seeking, not giving advice!

But thank you for your assumption

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hadez16 View Post
    Don,

I don't know if I get your point.
    Are you placed in the outback with 33k dial-in modem?
    hadez: LOL- no not in the outback - I'm in Melbourne which is the capital city of Victoria (which is on the southern most part of the mainland of Australia - just north of the island of Tasmania).

But given Sebastian and Uwe's responses (thank you both) I'm more informed about why RT does stuff as it does.

I will go stand in the naughty corner of a bit and contemplate my next inane question - not!!
    Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I will go stand in the naughty corner of a bit and contemplate my next inane question - not!!
    I can assure that's not necessary or even desirable.

Asking why we do things a certain way can sometimes make us wonder whether the way we've always done it is really optimal.

-Uwe-

8. Likes PetrolDave, Sebastian, DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post

.....First, most tablets and mobile phones don't run the "classic" VCDS; .....
    Fixed this for you. I routinely run "classic" VCDS on a little Dell tablet (a Venue 8 Pro running Windows 10) with a wi-fi connection to a HEX-NET in AP mode.

Have Fun!

Don

10. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    iichel: On this forum and given the unbelievable, but totally awesome expertise of many of the truly "veteran" forum members - I consider my meager participation to be embryonic at best!! And, almost all of my 2,000-ish posts have been seeking, not giving advice!

But thank you for your assumption

Don
    Now you're being too modest and I'm going off topic. But bear with me, there is light at the end of this message. Useful light.

I've read more than enough from your hand on VWvortex to know you're more than just any old (no pun intended) idiot that accidentally heard the word VCDS somewhere.
    I regularly link people that are in search of MQB codings to your PDF, it even has its own spot in the holiest of holy folders on my PC, my Google Drive. With its own altar, of course.
    --> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...F9TbGdKYVJ3eEE

12. Likes hadez16, Uwe, NZDubNurd, DV52 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don,

Just a week or so back, I was seriously considering PMing you. I didn't recall seeing any recent posts from you! I thought you may have gone "walkabout".

Glad you're back anyway I like your style.
    Allan
    The R32ran Thread
    How to post a full Auto-Scan
    "Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound"

14. Likes Uwe, iichel, DV52, PetrolDave liked this post