Flashing red light, "hex-net timeout" error

goofydug

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230189
I sold the car that I bought the VCDS for, so I'm selling it to a buddy. I was going to be nice and make sure everything was updated before sending it, so I plugged it into my MacBook and everything came grinding to a halt.

The first LED flashes green for 6-7 times, then flashes red.
HEX-NET Config then gives me an error "HEX-NET timeout. If the HEX-NET is on and not in use, try rebooting it".
No matter how many times I unplug it and plug it back in, I get the same result.

I found Shaun's suggestion in another post to hold the button down with the unit unplugged, then plug it in, hold for another 10+ sec, then release. I get a constant flashing green light but the config software can't locate the unit.

I'm horrible at this type of stuff. Please help so I can be sure I'm selling a properly working unit.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
When was the last time you used this HEX-NET?

It looks to be way out of date.

BL to update from 24 to 28;
CFB to update from 9 to 10;
CB to update from 4123 to 4411;
FW to update from 214 to 254;
DS to update from 0x30 to 0x50;

What version of the Config utility are you using?

-Uwe-

goofydug

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230189
Thanks for the quick response, Uwe.

I haven't used the HEX-NET in at least 2 years.

I downloaded the older config utility from one of your links, version 1.963

I'm also getting an odd reading under CB. See attached image.

hexnet_19may18.jpg

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Well, it sees it, so that's good.

But if it truly has no valid CB in it now, there may be no way to get the rest of the stuff in it updated in the field to the point where it can then load a fresh and current CB.

I'm going to say let's hold off a decision until we can get Shaun's opinion on Monday, but my guess right now is, it you'll need to send it in for us to update here.

-Uwe-

goofydug

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230189
Ok, thanks Uwe.

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Can you access VCDS-Mobile at that IP address? If so, go and check for updates there through VCDS-Mobile.

goofydug

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230189
Can you access VCDS-Mobile at that IP address? If so, go and check for updates there through VCDS-Mobile.

I can, but via Check Updates times out. Is that IP an "accurate" IP address? I thought they usually started with 192 or something?

I don't know. Computers are hard.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
If you can access VCDS-Mobile at that address, then it's "accurate". But that doesn't tell us whether the HEX-NET can access our server from there.

In VCDS-Mobile, do:

[Options]
[Self-Test]
[Advanced Network Test]

and post the results please.

-Uwe-

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
10.0 is also a valid local IP address range, albeit less common. However this may be a network that doesn't have outside internet access. What does your network setup look like, is this a wifi router? Phone tether?
What are the results if you go to VCDS-Mobile: [Options] -> [Self Test] -> [Advanced Network Test]
If all of that works, try checking for updates again. Does it timeout repeatedly?

goofydug

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230189
My computer and VCDS are connected to a wifi router. It has normal internet access.

Advanced Network Test gives me the blue bar succession with no progress. I've only let it sit for ~5 minutes though. I'll let it think for longer if you think it'd help.

And yes, I've clicked to check for updates multiple times in a row. On the laptop it thinks for a few mins and goes back to the previous screen. On my iPhone (via the VCDS app) it just hangs there and does nothing.

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Advanced Network Test gives me the blue bar succession with no progress.

It sounds like the Hex-Net isn't able to get out to the internet through your router. When it is working, you should see ping times start showing up immediately.
Do you have a firewall blocking outgoing TCP traffic? It needs TCP ports 11000 and 11011 outbound for server communication.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The Advanced Network Test should only take 10-20 seconds.

I'm going to suggest we give you an RMA; you send it in and let us update it. Since this is such an early one, and it can be a royal pain to get it past one particular point, there's no charge for that. But please verify your shipping address first, either via PM to me here, or via an e-mail to Support@... because we don't want to assume it's the same as it was four years ago.

-Uwe-

goofydug

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230189
It sounds like the Hex-Net isn't able to get out to the internet through your router. When it is working, you should see ping times start showing up immediately.
Do you have a firewall blocking outgoing TCP traffic? It needs TCP ports 11000 and 11011 outbound for server communication.

There shouldn't be any firewall blocking outgoing TCP traffic. I've updated this VCDS a couple years ago on the same exact internet/router/wifi setup with no issues.

The Advanced Network Test should only take 10-20 seconds.

I'm going to suggest we give you an RMA; you send it in and let us update it. Since this is such an early one, and it can be a royal pain to get it past one particular point, there's no charge for that. But please verify your shipping address first, either via PM to me here, or via an e-mail to Support@... because we don't want to assume it's the same as it was four years ago.

-Uwe-

Thank you, PM sent.

Reactions: Uwe

goofydug

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230189
Resolved!

I hadn't updated the Hex Net in so long that I had to send it to Ross Tech to get updated. They were awesome and fast and it's working perfectly now.

Thank you Uwe and Shaun!

Back