Status
Not open for further replies.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Out of curiosity... what kind/brand of WiFi extender is it ?
That may give us some clues too...

gary ryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227572
Wide open network. No WPA. I don't need another layer of digital headache...

This is a net gear WN2000RPT

gary ryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227572
Good Morning everyone,

I had some time this morning to try a few things.

As suggested, I disabled the EXT wifi spot. It is now unplugged from power. The only SSID that the Java config tool now sees is my original unsecured network. My iPad is connected to that one as well. I am in my basement, 5 feet from the router. Java profile wizard shows 96% signal strength. I am in infrastructure mode with The Hex net, 3 green LEDs, 3rd one flashing. I opened up the VCDS app, clicked refresh, and the Hex net was not recognized.

I want to reiterate that the EXT network isn't on. The extender is physically unplugged from power. No security on this network. I am successfully using the Java configure tool. I am using profile # 2, the only network available.

Is there anything else that I can try?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Does the Java configuration tool show the HEX-NET connected to and having gotten an IP from your network?

-Uwe-

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
^this. If the config tool shows an IP address, try to open that directly with safari on the ipad. If that works, your router may be set to disable broadcast.
--Shaun

gary ryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227572
image1_zps55600fe6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
image2_zpse5322a0a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Reactions: Uwe

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
That time it did something weird when reading the CB version, but I'll assume that's a harmless fluke.

Set aside the VCDS "app" for the moment. Actually, set aside your iPad entirely. As Uwe and Shaun recommended, just use Safari/IE/Chrome/Firefox on your laptop to open this URL, for the IP address the Java config app shows:

http://192.168.0.105

If that works, then try the same thing on your iPad and let us know the results.

If that works, it tells us you just have a broadcast/discovery problem. If it doesn't, you have some other more interesting problem.

Jason

Last edited:

gary ryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227572
Entering the IP address number in Safari did the trick. VCDS app still wouldn't recognize it.

I was able to connect to the car in infrastructure mode, perform and store an autoscan. I was able to connect to the cloud and enter a user name and password for registration.

Thanks everone for the help! I now know a lot more about wifi and connectivity and photobucket than I wanted to.

I will keep using the IP to connect, check for updates to the app, Hex Net software and re establish my EXT network next. I will continue with this thread if needed for continuity.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Entering the IP address number in Safari did the trick. VCDS app still wouldn't recognize it.

I was able to connect to the car in infrastructure mode, perform and store an autoscan. I was able to connect to the cloud and enter a user name and password for registration.
I'm glad that worked! Play with it for a while, and when you're ready, come back and we'll see if we can sort out the auto-discovery issue.

Uwe/Shaun/Eric: Save me from having to dig out my sniffer... for discovery, is the Apple IOS app using mDNS resolution of "hexnet", or is it using proprietary UDP broadcast like Desktop? Does the Android app work the same way? For troubleshooting, it would help to know if discovery traffic is using multicast or broadcast. The Android app generally "just works" for me, so I've never had to dig into how it works.

Jason

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
OK, let's summarize: You can access VCDS-Mobile via a browser from both your PC and your iOS device, but the iOS 'VCDS-Mobile' app doesn't find the HEX-NET. Is that correct?

How about "Classic" VCDS running on the Windows? Does it find the HEX-NET over WiFi?

-Uwe-

gary ryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227572
Yes. I can access the Hex Net wirelessly with my iPad and my laptop by entering the IP address by using my original wifi network. Since then, I powered up my extender, configured the Hex Net to see that network and I can connect to it using the iPad and laptop by entering the IP address. I have not tries to connect to the car using a cable and the laptop/ VCDS.

I may have registered it as well. I was able to enter a user name and password, but The screen just freezes when I press the login button.

I will be happy to try the cable laptop/VCDS and let you know how it works.
Can you see from your end that I actually registered?

BTW: fantastic avatar. My favorite black comedy. "Gentlemen! you can't fight in here, this is the WAR ROOM!"

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Please try using the browser on your laptop; there may be an issue with getting registered on the cloud with the Safari in iOS. This problem only affects the getting a HEX-NET registered to a cloud account; it should not cause any issues once the HEX-NET is associated with a cloud account.

Also, please try accessing the HEX-NET via WiFi using "Classic" VCDS on your laptop. We'd really like to get a better handle on that issue.

Thanks!

-Uwe-

Stephan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
Hi Gary

Some more questions...

What iPad is this (type and generation) and
what version of the OS is it running?
does it have a SIM (GSM) data connection

and lastly what version of the iOS app are you running?

There was an issue that I recall that iOS sent the broadcast on the GSM network and not the wifi network (if it had both) - if one disabled mobile data (i.e. GSM), then the iOS would send it on the correct network (naturally the only network) - if your device has GSM data availability, then it is worthwile to check...

(I have iPad 1,2,4 and mini) and it works on all of them

best
Stephan

gary ryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227572
Good morning,

I will try all of the above today when I get a chance. Finishing a transmission right now for a customer. I should have an update this afternoon.

I have an iPad mini w retina display, and it is using software version 8.0.2

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
does it have a SIM (GSM) data connection
In the US, we don't just have GSM, we also have widely deployed CDMA and LTE networks. ;)

gary ryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227572
I am still able to communicate with my iPad today by entering the IP address while in infrastructure mode. That's good. I can connect with my laptop wirelessly as well using the IP address.

Ewe, would you like me to try and register thru the iPad once more and look for anything in particular for you? If not, I will try to register thru the laptop.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but how would I start to use VCDS thru the laptop and usb cable? I am not at all technophobic, but this kind of software/network stuff never interested me. I would just like to be an end user. Having said that, I don't mind at all helping out with this. Just know that some of what you guys ask me fore is way over my head.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
VCDS running on your laptop can talk to the HEX-NET via the supplied USB cable, or via WiFi. Is your laptop on the same network as your iPad and the HEX-NET? If so, start VCDS (use Beta 14.8.1 please!), go to [Options], set the Port to 'NET' and click [Test].

Back to Stephan's question for a moment: Does your iPad have built-on Cell-Data or is it WiFi-only?

-Uwe-

gary ryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227572
That will be my homework tonite.

Regarding the iPad, it does not use a cell service for Internet. It can only use wifi.

Reactions: Uwe

gary ryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227572
I'm in my garage right now using my laptop and my iPad to try to register my interface with the cloud. I am able to connect wirelessly to Hex Net with both, but I still am unable to login or register with either. The login screen and the register screen do not give me any confirmation that I'm done.

I tried to clicking the " check for updates " bar to see what software version this hex net has, and I am given a message that states I am not registered. I did check to see if any of my auto scans are stored in the cloud and there are 2 VINs there.
Just clicking around, I went to the self test bar, clicked advanced test and was able to ping the server with excellent connection quality.

gary ryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227572
Ewe, I just downloaded VCDS 14.8.1 from your site and ran it. I can connect with the Hex Net with the USB cable and wirelessly. I was able to read data from the engine both ways. Thanks for the walk through help.

I then attempted to login with the laptop using VCDS mobile and with a wireless connection again. After clicking the login button, it just greys out and does nothing. I doubt that I am even registered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back