Not open for further replies.

gary ryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227572
Good Morning,

After some effort, I have made it through the start up process and tried to register via the cloud.
I was connected to the Hex Net and the Internet at the time, but my display didn't change after clicking on register for several minutes. I called and spoke to Jeff on the phone and we decided to try using a laptop instead of my IPad to finish the process. I was unsuccessful. I am certain it is a problem on my end. I might need some basic help to walk me through the process on the laptop.

Since then, I have been unable to connect with my IPad using infrastructure mode. I made certain that the correct SSID was entered in advanced networking options on the hex net using access point mode. I can put it in infrastructure mode and the LEDs all turn green, with LED 3 blinking as before. When I open the app on my IPad, opened to the same wifi SSID as the Hex net, it is not recognized.

Any ideas on which problem to tackle first and how would I go about them?

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Are you a long way from your access point when you're doing this? Discovery (and everything else) may run into trouble at the far edge of your AP's range.

What sort of laptop are you using? Were you able to use the Java HEX-NET Wifi config utility on it? If so, what did you see?

Jason

Reactions: Uwe

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Does HEX-NET have the latest firmware ?

gary ryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227572
Thanks for the input. The hex net was delivered last Wednesday, so it should be up to date.

I can easily connect to the network from the garage with excellent signal displayed on my iPad. I reset the hex net by holding the button down and trying from square one again. I am only able to use access point mode even though I have 3 green LEDs. I made sure the iPad and hex net SSIDs are the same.

Pretty sure the problem is with me. I could use a Sesame Street style how to on the laptop/Java setup.

Thanks,
Gary

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
The hex net was delivered last Wednesday, so it should be up to date.

I'd check it anyway....

For future reference, when it updates, check it again to be sure there aren't additional updates that pre-req'd previous updates.
In other words click until it says Up to date! and click once more to be sure :D

Java setup information:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Pretty sure the problem is with me. I could use a Sesame Street style how to on the laptop/Java setup.
What you're trying should be working, so it's not yet clear this is user error on your part.

I agree with Jake that you should check for up-to-date firmware. We actually just came across a user last week with a very out-of-date HEX-NET, although there were indications he might have received it long ago and not used it until recently. The Youtube video will take you through the process of using the utility. However, there's a bit of a chicken-and-egg issue: you'll have to get it online in Infrastructure mode to check for updates. If you can tell us what you see in the Java config utility, that will let us see if it's reasonably up-to-date at least.

Jason

gary ryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227572
I appreciate the input. I will spend some time with it tomorrow morning and let you know what I found

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Since Gary's HEX-NET only shipped last week, it SHOULD be up-to-date.

I do agree that having a look at it using the Configuration Utility would be the next logical next step, but if Gary has eschewed all real computers, then flipping it back to AP mode and trying to connect to it that way with his iPad would be my plan B.

-Uwe-

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
if Gary has eschewed all real computers, then flipping it back to AP mode and trying to connect to it that way with his iPad would be my plan B.

Agreed.

The configuration utility isn't necessary, but saves some typing and potential typographical errors.
I've never used the utility except to help others troubleshoot - I access the WiFi settings directly on the HEX-NET from an iPhone or iPad.

gary ryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227572
Good Afternoon guys,

I just spent some time with Java this morning, downloaded the configure tool and ran it. I was able to complete the process and see the Hex Net with my iPad in infrastructure mode with the tool plugged in my laptop. I disconnected the tool, went 25 feet to the garage, and tried it on the car. 3 green LEDs, no luck.

I noted the signal strength in the Java app. 89% in my kitchen, 83% in the garage. I took a couple of pics and will try to post them for you as they might be helpful to understand and learn from.

gary ryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227572
imagejpg1_zps93df43c6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

gary ryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227572
imagejpg2_zps29721794.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
EXT on the end of the SSID (network name)... is that a WiFi extender perchance ?

gary ryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227572
imagejpg3_zps14f3d357.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

gary ryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227572
Yes it is.

I hope these pics hold some valuable info for you.

I refreshed my app after connecting Hex net to the car and letting it boot up. Ipad doesn't see it in infrastructure mode.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
EXT on the end of the SSID (network name)... is that a WiFi extender perchance ?

Yes it is.

I hope these pics hold some valuable info for you.

One key piece there, the EXT.

That doesn't give me a warm fuzzy - I've got one that shoots 1,500' to my garage and causes all kinds of problems for me.
Edit: Problems are with bridging, ARP tables, DHCP, and pings on mine. Everything behind it gets an identical MAC address. :(

Santos / Jason - thoughts ?

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Can you look at the network info on the ipad while in the kitchen , and while in the garage ?

I'm curious to see if anything is different .

gary ryan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=227572
What data would you like to see Santos? I will get it for you.

Jakematic: If you like, I will pull into the front yard and connect with a good strong signal from the original SSID.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Jakematic: If you like, I will pull into the front yard and connect with a good strong signal from the original SSID.

That's what I would do.
Take the extended SSID out of the profile list, connect to the 'main' one, and see what happens.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I note that your Security setting is 'None'. Is your wireless network really completely open, or do you have a WPA shared key like most home users? Are your settings the same between your main AP and your extender?

I ask because I noticed a problem with that myself today. When I was modifying a SSID profile from the web interface, I couldn't get the WPA settings to stick. I could create a new SSID, but it would revert to Open after I tried to save it with a WPA key. It was on an older CB/FW version and I haven't tried to reproduce it after upgrading.

This shouldn't be your problem, because you got a DHCP lease at some point that's showing up in the config tool, but I wanted to ask.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back