Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: No response from controller with HEX-NET

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, bumping this one up again.
    The climate controller (hvac) is not the one to blame.
    I have now found out whos fault it is. Its the retrofitted RNS-E (which I installed about at the same time these symptoms came..doh)
    I recently bought an AUX interface which I wanted to code into the unit, but I didnt get any response from the controller. Thought that was weird, so I fitted my oem ConcertII which came with the car, and then I could access the ECU and Auto HVAC modules in vcds.
    Thats pretty odd, and I dont know whats causing it.
    The RNS-E is from an Audi A3, but the PIN is confirmed and I have been using the unit as normal ever since I got it..
    Why doesnt the car recognize it, and why is it causing the ECU and Auto HVAC to loose communication?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    How is it wired? Where does the K-line to/from the RNS-E go?

-Uwe-
    Lock-down of sick people: Quarantine
    Lock-down of healthy people: Tyranny

3. Likes Znippie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Znippie View Post
    I have now found out whos fault it is. Its the retrofitted RNS-E (which I installed about at the same time these symptoms came..doh)
    When you retrofitted the RNS-E what radio did it replace? The later Concert II (and Symphony II) radios have a different pinout (but still use the Quadlock connector) which can result in the K-line being shorted. You need to check the pinouts of both the RNS-E and the Concert II and swap the appropriate pins.

When I retrofitted RNS-E on several cars in the UK (a few years ago so I have lost all the paperwork in a house move) this pin swap was something many people missed, including you possibly?

BTW IIRC the RNS-E isn't on the K-line but on the K2(L)-line, maybe the other controllers that aren't responding are also on the K2(L)-line?

5. Likes Znippie, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    When you retrofitted the RNS-E what radio did it replace? The later Concert II (and Symphony II) radios have a different pinout (but still use the Quadlock connector) which can result in the K-line being shorted. You need to check the pinouts of both the RNS-E and the Concert II and swap the appropriate pins.

When I retrofitted RNS-E on several cars in the UK (a few years ago so I have lost all the paperwork in a house move) this pin swap was something many people missed, including you possibly?

BTW IIRC the RNS-E isn't on the K-line but on the K2(L)-line, maybe the other controllers that aren't responding are also on the K2(L)-line?
    As you and Uwe says, it might be a simple solution as kline wiring for this yeah. I havent done pin swap with the new unit, I will check that out later today!

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pinout are different for the ConcertII and RNS-E as mentioned (pin5 on A(green) connector vs pin7 on B(blue) connector in the quadlock connection)
    Repinned them, and now everything is working flawlessly like it did before I created this thread.
    Thanks for all the help!

8. Likes Uwe, PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Znippie View Post
    The pinout are different for the ConcertII and RNS-E as mentioned (pin5 on A(green) connector vs pin7 on B(blue) connector in the quadlock connection)
    Repinned them, and now everything is working flawlessly like it did before I created this thread.
    Thanks for all the help!
    You're not the first person to miss out the pin swaps when doing an RNS-E retrofit ..... and I suspect you won't be the last

Glad it's all sorted now

10. Likes Uwe liked this post