Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=356659
Engine connector:
pin #1 - GND
pin #2 - GND
pin #3 - 15 (12v)
pin #62 - 30 (12v)
pin #43 - W (to instrument cluster) = K ?

Hex-net:
pin #4 - GND
pin #7 - K
pin #15 - L (not needed for this test)
pin #16 - 12v

Need to recheck ^^ two more times and use isolated connectors to not fry something.
You can also check grounds and 12v while ECU is still connected to the car with ignition ON.
Maybe get extra obd2 connector with 10-20cm wires from A4 B5/A6 C5/A4 B6, whatever.
If possible try this at first with 5usd KKL cable and vcds-lite and only then switch cable to hex-net :D

This pdf confirms above pinout i got from Elsa (A6 C5 2004 2.7biT BES):
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6...2-7t-ecu-pinout-details-2835703/#post24361114

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
Engine connector:
pin #43 - W (to instrument cluster) = K ?
Yes, on the bench we use the W-Line as a K-Line for the ECU.

Julian, you haven't inadvertently altered any settings on VCDS Options screen have you? Hmm, I was thinking of 'Bypass CAN Init' or 'Force K on Engine' - but these would have a desirable effect in your case. But all of the other parameters are at their default values?

Znippie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=328489
Yes, on the bench we use the W-Line as a K-Line for the ECU.

Julian, you haven't inadvertently altered any settings on VCDS Options screen have you? Hmm, I was thinking of 'Bypass CAN Init' or 'Force K on Engine' - but these would have a desirable effect in your case. But all of the other parameters are at their default values?

No i havent touched those settings, but after this started to happen I tried both settings you refer to, just to see if it makes any difference. And no, its doesnt. Also tried a clean install of VCDS, and even a different PC. Im pretty sure that my car is the problem, since the hex-net is working on anything else.

Znippie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=328489
Im delaying the stand-alone ECU test until I recieve this obd pinout from ebay;
s-l1600.jpg

Abit safer with the isolated connector and such.
The pinout seems correct _Val
ahZW7ma.jpg

The only 2 modules I cant reach is the Auto HVAC and Engine.. do they share the KWP2000 ? According to the ross-tech page is a little uncertain..
I havent tried to unplug the climate controller, but I do remember working on that one last year when I created this post.
Im so frustrated, since the HEX-NET worked perfectly when I first got it.

_Val

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=356659
HVAC is on K1 for diagnostics. Don't know protocol it's using.
Have you ever tried disconnecting fitted ABS module from K line and then testing Hex-net?

Znippie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=328489
HVAC is on K1 for diagnostics. Don't know protocol it's using.
Have you ever tried disconnecting fitted ABS module from K line and then testing Hex-net?

No, I havent. U mean, disconnect the wiring harness from the abs module right? Since the abs have been customized it could be an issue yeah..

_Val

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=356659
Yes, could also just unplug ABS connector from unit in engine bay.

Znippie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=328489
Yes, could also just unplug ABS connector from unit in engine bay.

Thats what I meant, but i chose the wrong words I guess :D
Tried to disconnected k-line for the ABS module today. The k-line for ABS and ECU is paired in the ecu poenum box by me, so it was an easy disconnect. But nothing changed..
Note: I think the battery is looking at a retirement.. its 11.6v with the engine off (according to test in vcds)
But it has 14.1v at idle so that wouldnt matter due to communication anyway right?

Znippie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=328489
Still waiting on the obd -> pinout that I bought from ebay, so today I wanted to check out my other theory.
As mentioned my Auto HVAC controller (climate controller) has also been unavailable for scan, in addition to the ECU.
And, since these problems started last year when I installed the climate controller, i wanted to remove the climate controller and see if I could read the ECU.
And guess what, it did
Thats strange..
That means that theres no disfunctionality with the wiring between ecu and obd port, but between ECU and climate I guess ?
QW2hBkM.png

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
As mentioned my Auto HVAC controller (climate controller) has also been unavailable for scan, in addition to the ECU.
And, since these problems started last year when I installed the climate controller, i wanted to remove the climate controller and see if I could read the ECU.
And guess what, it did
Thats strange..
That means that theres no disfunctionality with the wiring between ecu and obd port, but between ECU and climate I guess ?
Not sure exactly what is going on there. The HVAC controller could be loading down the K-Line, or putting some noise on it, or incorrectly responding when it shouldn't. I can't think of a good way to narrow down the cause without putting an oscilloscope and/or a K-line analyzer on this.

-Uwe-

Znippie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=328489
Okay, bumping this one up again.
The climate controller (hvac) is not the one to blame.
I have now found out whos fault it is. Its the retrofitted RNS-E (which I installed about at the same time these symptoms came..doh)
I recently bought an AUX interface which I wanted to code into the unit, but I didnt get any response from the controller. Thought that was weird, so I fitted my oem ConcertII which came with the car, and then I could access the ECU and Auto HVAC modules in vcds.
Thats pretty odd, and I dont know whats causing it.
The RNS-E is from an Audi A3, but the PIN is confirmed and I have been using the unit as normal ever since I got it..
Why doesnt the car recognize it, and why is it causing the ECU and Auto HVAC to loose communication?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
How is it wired? Where does the K-line to/from the RNS-E go?

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I have now found out whos fault it is. Its the retrofitted RNS-E (which I installed about at the same time these symptoms came..doh)
When you retrofitted the RNS-E what radio did it replace? The later Concert II (and Symphony II) radios have a different pinout (but still use the Quadlock connector) which can result in the K-line being shorted. You need to check the pinouts of both the RNS-E and the Concert II and swap the appropriate pins.

When I retrofitted RNS-E on several cars in the UK (a few years ago so I have lost all the paperwork in a house move) this pin swap was something many people missed, including you possibly?

BTW IIRC the RNS-E isn't on the K-line but on the K2(L)-line, maybe the other controllers that aren't responding are also on the K2(L)-line?

Znippie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=328489
When you retrofitted the RNS-E what radio did it replace? The later Concert II (and Symphony II) radios have a different pinout (but still use the Quadlock connector) which can result in the K-line being shorted. You need to check the pinouts of both the RNS-E and the Concert II and swap the appropriate pins.

When I retrofitted RNS-E on several cars in the UK (a few years ago so I have lost all the paperwork in a house move) this pin swap was something many people missed, including you possibly?

BTW IIRC the RNS-E isn't on the K-line but on the K2(L)-line, maybe the other controllers that aren't responding are also on the K2(L)-line?
As you and Uwe says, it might be a simple solution as kline wiring for this yeah. I havent done pin swap with the new unit, I will check that out later today! :)

Znippie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=328489
The pinout are different for the ConcertII and RNS-E as mentioned (pin5 on A(green) connector vs pin7 on B(blue) connector in the quadlock connection)
Repinned them, and now everything is working flawlessly like it did before I created this thread.
Thanks for all the help!

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
The pinout are different for the ConcertII and RNS-E as mentioned (pin5 on A(green) connector vs pin7 on B(blue) connector in the quadlock connection)
Repinned them, and now everything is working flawlessly like it did before I created this thread.
Thanks for all the help!
You're not the first person to miss out the pin swaps when doing an RNS-E retrofit ..... and I suspect you won't be the last ;)

Glad it's all sorted now :thumbs:

Reactions: Uwe
Back