Odd DCC Suspension behavior... Help! Ripple effect when hitting even small bumps

don16

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
I recently bought a 2014 MK3 Cupra and I am convinced the suspension bounces around more than it should when hitting bumps big or small, ripple effect. Rather than just the one bounce I get one bounce followed by a ripple of a couple of smaller bounces. It's just not compliant! even on the smoothest looking roads the car bounces around a bit and when I hit a bump instead of just one up and down motion it continues for a second or so.

Car came fitted with new Goodyear eagle f1s fitted and I have also noticed the steering is ever so slightly off centre when driving straight.

I have owned non DCC Mk7R and Mk7GTi and I do not remember either of these feeling like the DCC.

Has anyone has or experienced anything like this before? It happens irrespective of mode and I have checked for faults using vcds and there is nothing. Might just be me but defo feels a bit odd. It could just be me...

I had a garage do a VCDS scan and there are no faults, also no odd noises etc. So is there a way to use VCDS or another tool to check damping or struts somehow to see if they are over damping etc?

Just do not want to spend money on new struts if it turns out it is not them causing the issue.

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
Sounds to me (but my background is a decade of motorcycles, not cars) like what a worn shock does (or one with the dampening set way too low). Any function tests you can perform with vcds?

Adaptive suspension on bikes defaults to max dampening when the ignition is off. In case of a system failure, too much is safer than too little. The fact that it is set way too low does sound to me like an overly worn shock, but again I dont know what the system defaults to with ignition off.

I’d look for any function tests and/or calibrations you can do first, secondly I’d check (using measurig values) if the controller actually changes (or tries to) suspension behaviour when you switch driving/DCC modes, and last but not least I’d assume you could always have the shocks serviced.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Sounds to me (but my background is a decade of motorcycles, not cars) like what a worn shock does (or one with the dampening set way too low).
+1

The main function of the shock absorbers (otherwise know as dampers) is to damp the oscillation that a spring on its own would cause. It sounds like OPs car is under-damped, hence the after bounces.

What is the setting on the DCC? Comfort or something else?

Reactions: Uwe

don16

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
Sounds to me (but my background is a decade of motorcycles, not cars) like what a worn shock does (or one with the dampening set way too low). Any function tests you can perform with vcds?

Adaptive suspension on bikes defaults to max dampening when the ignition is off. In case of a system failure, too much is safer than too little. The fact that it is set way too low does sound to me like an overly worn shock, but again I dont know what the system defaults to with ignition off.

I’d look for any function tests and/or calibrations you can do first, secondly I’d check (using measurig values) if the controller actually changes (or tries to) suspension behaviour when you switch driving/DCC modes, and last but not least I’d assume you could always have the shocks serviced.

Well I have had a brief look there doesn't seem to be much function tests etc? You can do a basic settings reset but this requires all wheels off the ground hanging. Was hoping one of the there were some tests that I could perform be it vcds or another tool. Not sure shocks are serviceable, think you just replace them. Behavior is there in all modes but to me it seems worse in comfort. So I drive around in cupra mode most of the time as its easier to live with bare the hard ride but there is less ripple although it is still very much present.

don16

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
Happens in all modes, comfort being the worse. Cupra mode it also happens aswell but slightly less noticeable

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
Well, time for an autoscan. Missing too much info.

don16

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
I don't have vcds so can't provide an auto scan and the garage will charge £50. Will auto scan show anything though? As garage has told me there was absolutely no fault codes stored? What u need before I pay again is some way of checking damping or voltage of strut etc to see if that shows the problem struts or something else

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I don't have vcds so can't provide an auto scan and the garage will charge £50. Will auto scan show anything though? As garage has told me there was absolutely no fault codes stored?
Since this is a forum to support VCDS owners, I reckon we really do need a VCDS Auto-Scan.

Plus do you always believe everything the garage tells you? I certainly don't!

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
I don't have vcds so can't provide an auto scan and the garage will charge £50. Will auto scan show anything though? As garage has told me there was absolutely no fault codes stored? What u need before I pay again is some way of checking damping or voltage of strut etc to see if that shows the problem struts or something else

What we need is all the information about the control modules in the car so that we can find information by which we might help you. Your thread will languish in obscurity without it. Autoscans provide far more information than just fault codes.

Help can only be offered when those asking assist with the information needed.

Might we suggest finding a mate with VCDS who might run autoscan for you? My guess is many would do so for a beer or two.

Back