VW Polo 3 cylinder 2006

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
I did an mot (Road Safety Inspection in the UK) last week on the above, the polo failed regarding exhaust emissions (Part of the mot in the UK) later that day the boss had one of the other lads complete a service to the car and changed the spark plugs and ignition coil(s). I am to understand that a compression test was completed which I found out later but nobody said anything to me about it. The next day I arrived at work and was asked to investigate the engine misfire, I was advised that plugs and coil(s) had been fitted. I removed the coil(s) and plugs and immediately noticed cylinder 2 spark plug oiling up the plug electrodes. I completed a compression test (not the best test) to establish compression pressure of each cylinder and variations between cylinders that might be present, the results were;

cyl 1 = 175 [PSI]
cyl 2 = 075 [PSI]
cyl 3 = 110 [PSI]

I advised the boss that the valve guides and seals were worn and required attention. He advised the customer that the engine had dropped a valve!!

Interestingly the customer (female) took the car to a second garage and got another opinion, she returned to us saying that my boss told her that I said the engine had dropped a valve, now not being very happy at that I politely advised that I had advised the engine's cylinder head valves guides and seals were in need of attention, this I had to explain a couple of times for the message to sink in.

The customer decided to bring the car back yesterday, another mechanic was inspecting the engine, he knew it had problems but would not accept my diagnosis, so he was ringing round other garages for their advice, where another mechanic advised that the valves guides and seals would be at fault, so at that point he then agreed with me that the valves, guides and seals required attention.

The cylinder head has been removed yesterday and the mechanic poured mixed water and coolant down the cylinder head ports to check if the valves were leaking, he then admitted they were, then out of the blue he says to me that he does not understand how the valve train of an internal combustion engine works, with over 35 years of experience in the trade!

The point of the discussion, is it just me or do many other garages have these problems between staff members also?

Edited notes;

The same car above I also failed the passengers rear door for not opening from the outside relevant control (door handle), today the mechanic advised that he had changed one of these door locks previously costing around £300, he advised me that he had to break off the door lock to open the door, my question becomes;

Using VCDS, is it possible (where the lock is at fault) to unlock the deadlocks and or door lock without stripping and dismantling or breaking the door lock apart to remove it?

I had this on a vauxhall Combo many years ago and using dealer level diagnostics I could unlock the doors without dismantling any parts.

Last edited:

Fredrick Awuor

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=309834
I did an mot (Road Safety Inspection in the UK) last week on the above, the polo failed regarding exhaust emissions (Part of the mot in the UK) later that day the boss had one of the other lads complete a service to the car and changed the spark plugs and ignition coil(s). I am to understand that a compression test was completed which I found out later but nobody said anything to me about it. The next day I arrived at work and was asked to investigate the engine misfire, I was advised that plugs and coil(s) had been fitted. I removed the coil(s) and plugs and immediately noticed cylinder 2 spark plug oiling up the plug electrodes. I completed a compression test (not the best test) to establish compression pressure of each cylinder and variations between cylinders that might be present, the results were;

cyl 1 = 175 [PSI]
cyl 2 = 075 [PSI]
cyl 3 = 110 [PSI]

I advised the boss that the valve guides and seals were worn and required attention. He advised the customer that the engine had dropped a valve!!

Interestingly the customer (female) took the car to a second garage and got another opinion, she returned to us saying that my boss told her that I said the engine had dropped a valve, now not being very happy at that I politely advised that I had advised the engine's cylinder head valves guides and seals were in need of attention, this I had to explain a couple of times for the message to sink in.

The customer decided to bring the car back yesterday, another mechanic was inspecting the engine, he knew it had problems but would not accept my diagnosis, so he was ringing round other garages for their advice, where another mechanic advised that the valves guides and seals would be at fault, so at that point he then agreed with me that the valves, guides and seals required attention.

The cylinder head has been removed yesterday and the mechanic poured mixed water and coolant down the cylinder head ports to check if the valves were leaking, he then admitted they were, then out of the blue he says to me that he does not understand how the valve train of an internal combustion engine works, with over 35 years of experience in the trade!

The point of the discussion, is it just me or do many other garages have these problems between staff members also?

Edited notes;

The same car above I also failed the passengers rear door for not opening from the outside relevant control (door handle), today the mechanic advised that he had changed one of these door locks previously costing around £300, he advised me that he had to break off the door lock to open the door, my question becomes;

Using VCDS, is it possible (where the lock is at fault) to unlock the deadlocks and or door lock without stripping and dismantling or breaking the door lock apart to remove it?

I had this on a vauxhall Combo many years ago and using dealer level diagnostics I could unlock the doors without dismantling any parts.

I haven't worked on this three cylinder engine,but I'd add a little oil into the cylinders and redo the compression test to rule out piston/rings issues in the suspect cylinder before extending my inspection to piston/rings of no 2 cylinder... anyway 35 years experience should make that mechanic a wizard in these jobs ..unless you guys have personal grudges/differences which makes it harder to work as a team

HMC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28246
Hi Trade Member,
I have just clocked up 50 years in the trade and how things have changed! In my experience it is not unusual for people (I cannot call them mechanics) too not understand what they are working on. In the UK the reason is simple, the motor trade is not regarded with the esteem it is due, working conditions and wages are generally poor and as a consequence the skill sets are low.
Having said that, there is often exceptionally skilled technicians about, usually posting on sites like this!
Regards HMC

Reactions: Uwe

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
The mechanic that did not believe my diagnosis has now finished rebuilding the engine today after having been advised outside of our workshop that the VW 3 cylinder engines do indeed suffer from valves, guides and seals. The proof was in the pudding today, no misfire and a smooth running engine, the mechanic didn't say anything more.

LUO Nation, I didn't feel it necessary to carryout a cylinder wet test when the cylinder was 100 PSI down, this is quite substantial and either leaking valves or a hole in the piston crown. I would agree a cylinder leak test would have been more appropriate.

HMC, I agree, our country is not regulated professionally more than likely because the Gov don't want to pay for it, or they can't find a way to profit from the investment that it would cost, and from all the problems we probably have around the country, they are probably already happen with their financial income from it.

Back