ABS/Parking Brake lights on

4lane

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=8554
Well, the EPB is aware of the fault in the Airbag Module. The EPB wants to know that the seatbelt switches are functioning properly because its behavior is different if the occupants are belted in than if they aren't. With occupants belted in, it's willing to release the parking brake automatically under some circumstances..

The ABS is aware of the fault in the EPB. TBH, I'm not sure why the ABS cares, and like I said, I haven't previously seen (or noticed) two levels of indirection like this, but hey... Fixing a broken wire should be a whole lot cheaper/easier than replacing an ABS or EPB control module, so that's what I'd do first.

-Uwe-

UPDATE: I tied the broken seat belt wire together with no change. Seemed like that wire does nothing other than trigger a belt not buckled warning.

Then I started going through ABS (3)/Airbag (15)/Parking Brake(53) controllers. Clearing the codes in (3) & (53) results in the fault codes returning either immediately or after closing/reopening the controller with no change to the ABS/Parking Brake dash lights. However, with Airbag (15), I would clear fault 9444373 which would remove both the ABS and Parking Brake dash lights. The fault would come back, but perhaps that belt buckle wire is doing more than I think?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yeah, I checked all the fuses and I didn’t find any blown.

Did you have measured power at each identified fuse and did you tone out to verify in correct panel?

phelmerj

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=326055
Had this code on my 2003 Jetta Wagon.
1 Fault Found:
01276 - ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit
Pulled ABS plug and checked voltages and one terminal at 12.7vdc and other 11.7vdc. Checked the fuses as per Jef the GURU and the one had 2 small (less than 1mm) carbon arc marks on it. Replaced the fuse and cleaned up the holder and problem fixed.
Check the voltages the with a good meter, all computers are very voltage sensitive. Check the fuses. I really had to look to see those carbon marks and 1 volt difference was enough to cause a pile of head scratching. The WD from Erwin is worth its weight in gold.

4lane

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=8554
Did you have measured power at each identified fuse and did you tone out to verify in correct panel?

I didn’t have the time to fully vet this. I did check to see if there was power at any of the fuses and did not find any.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Back feed the 12 volt sockets tracks with tone generator to seek the Terminal 87 location relay, since they all share this terminal.

DIN spec's Terminals in JPPSG

http://www.bosch-classic.com/media/...switches/downloads_3/klemmenbezeichnungen.pdf

Overview be valid also for Avant (5-door models)!

1 - Relay /Fuse Panel F -SF-
q Components: -J9- , -J84- , -J807-
1 - Battery Separation Relay -J7-
q Component Location: in spare tire well, beside auxiliary battery
2 - Relay / fuse panel with Vehicle Electrical System Control Module -J519-
q Components:-J160- , -J329- , -J413- , -J601- , -J608- , -J910-
q Relay / fuse panel with Vehicle Electrical System Control Module -J519- → Chapter

4lane

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=8554
Back feed the 12 volt sockets tracks with tone generator to seek the Terminal 87 location relay, since they all share this terminal.

DIN spec's Terminals in JPPSG

http://www.bosch-classic.com/media/...switches/downloads_3/klemmenbezeichnungen.pdf

Overview be valid also for Avant (5-door models)!

1 - Relay /Fuse Panel F -SF-
q Components: -J9- , -J84- , -J807-
1 - Battery Separation Relay -J7-
q Component Location: in spare tire well, beside auxiliary battery
2 - Relay / fuse panel with Vehicle Electrical System Control Module -J519-
q Components:-J160- , -J329- , -J413- , -J601- , -J608- , -J910-
q Relay / fuse panel with Vehicle Electrical System Control Module -J519- → Chapter

I did take a peek at J393 to see if I found anything obvious (even though those faults are no longer showing - trying to fix the fuel door faults as well). I see four areas of oxidation of some sort. You can see two of them in this image, one circled. I'm assuming this can potentially interfere with the circuit and J393's functions. If so, is it worth it to try in and clean it?
circuit_snip.JPG

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I did take a peek at J393 to see if I found anything obvious (even though those faults are no longer showing - trying to fix the fuel door faults as well). I see four areas of oxidation of some sort. You can see two of them in this image, one circled. I'm assuming this can potentially interfere with the circuit and J393's functions. If so, is it worth it to try in and clean it?

It might.......... never hurts to try a fiberglass sanding pen and an anti oxidizer after a spritz with oven cleaner containing sodium hydroxide.
Wear gloves and eye protection!

Hair dryer!

Did your service history come in an electronic form the VAG dealer emailed or did you use an external source to pull that record?
The format is so nice!

4lane

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=8554
It might.......... never hurts to try a fiberglass sanding pen and an anti oxidizer after a spritz with oven cleaner containing sodium hydroxide.
Wear gloves and eye protection!

Hair dryer!

Did your service history come in an electronic form the VAG dealer emailed or did you use an external source to pull that record?
The format is so nice!

The service history is what the dealer sent me. If I replace J393 can it be programmed via VCDS or does that require a dealer. Just in case the cleaning doesn't go well...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The service history is what the dealer sent me. If I replace J393 can it be programmed via VCDS or does that require a dealer. Just in case the cleaning doesn't go well...
The Kessy module would need a dealer (or independent with Geko server access).

-Uwe-

4lane

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=8554
The Kessy module would need a dealer (or independent with Geko server access).

-Uwe-

Update here. I had J393 replaced and recoded which resolved the 12v socket issue.

Reactions: Uwe

4lane

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=8554
My 2009 Audi B8 A4 Avant threw Parking Brake and ABS warning lights on the dash. In looking under the seat for a connection/wiring issue, I did find that the driver's seat belt wire was snapped off. Could that be the issue? Based on the scan I'm looking at 01321 and 00473. I've seen several folks with the same, which ended up being the ABS control module, but I was hoping to get a little further before buying/replacing parts to see what fixes it. Car runs as normal so I don't believe it's an MAF issue (another often seen symptom). I've looked at the below links, but could anyone take a look at the faults to advise me if there is any other info there to go on? Thx!

Update: I replaced the seat belt latch/wire which removed all Parking Brake and ABS warning lighs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back