HEX-NET Interface Not Found

kristokes

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208803
I've been getting this error code at the VCDS Port Test and I'm not sure how to fix it. The HEX-NET is connected to the vehicle and laptop during the test. I've rebooted the laptop and re-installed VCDS Beta 14.8.1 several times. I am running OS Windows 8.1.

9q2Ak6u.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What's the LED behavior like?

Any change when you unplug it from the vehicle?

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hmm, the Red/Green blinking on the heartbeat LED doesn't strike me as normal.

Does the WiFi configuration utilty see it? HexNetConfig.jar

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
The interface powered off when you unplugged it from the car. It appeared to be cabled to the laptop in the video. I don't think that's right... it should have stayed up on USB power. The USB cables that ship with the interfaces are black, unless something has changed. Can you try that one?

Edit: really hard to tell, but it's possible it was plugged in later out-of-frame. Still would be good to try the original cable.

Jason

kristokes

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208803
The interface powered off when you unplugged it from the car. It appeared to be cabled to the laptop in the video. I don't think that's right... it should have stayed up on USB power. The USB cables that ship with the interfaces are black, unless something has changed. Can you try that one?

Edit: really hard to tell, but it's possible it was plugged in later out-of-frame. Still would be good to try the original cable.

Jason

Listen to the sounds if video is unclear.

Original USB cable is a regular A/B 2.0 so that wouldn't make a difference, especially since the HEX-NET Configuration Utility sees the interface with this white A/B 2.0 cable.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Well, that's a pretty good indication that the magic smoke that makes it work hasn't escaped. :D

Is that on the same port on the PC, and using the same cable?

-Uwe-

kristokes

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208803
Hmm, the Red/Green blinking on the heartbeat LED doesn't strike me as normal.

Does the WiFi configuration utilty see it? HexNetConfig.jar

-Uwe-

kristokes

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208803
Well, that's a pretty good indication that the magic smoke that makes it work hasn't escaped. :D

Is that on the same port on the PC, and using the same cable?

-Uwe-

Yes, this laptop has only one USB port.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Listen to the sounds if video is unclear.
Sorry, was watching it on mute.

If that config utility screenshot is current, then A) nice serial number! :) and B) that is some extremely old software on that unit, with all manner of issues. I can't quite make out your VCDS Desktop version in that video but it may not care for talking to a HN interface down that far in revision. You should try to get it up-and-running in Infrastructure mode, connected to the Internet, and upgraded to current.

Edit: Screenshot in your OP shows Beta 14.8.1, which is latest. Wouldn't be surprised at all if it has heartburn talking to that HN as-is.

Jason

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hmm, I would expect VCDS to explicitly say something to the effect of, "That firmware is too old".

-Uwe-

kristokes

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208803
So any suggestions on what I should do? I don't have access to the VCDS Cloud all the time, that's why I tried setting this up.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Nothing wrong with setting that up, but even if VCDS version 14.8.1 could talk to the interface, it would insist that you update the interface to current versions, so you might as well try that.

-Uwe-

kristokes

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208803
Ok, is there a walk-through on updating the interface?

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Hmm, I would expect VCDS to explicitly say something to the effect of, "That firmware is too old".
I would have thought so too, but I've never tried to use things that far out of sync before.

Not saying it's *THE* problem, just that it's *A* problem and needs to be worked through anyway.

Jason

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Put it in infrastructure mode on a network where it has internet access. Point a browser at it, and in VCDS-Mobile, click [Options] -> [Check for Updates]. Lather, rinse, repeat until it's "Up to date".

There next version of the "Configuration" utility will have the ability to do updates as well, but I don't have a firm date for that yet.

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I would have thought so too, but I've never tried to use things that far out of sync before.

Not saying it's *THE* problem, just that it's *A* problem and needs to be worked through anyway.
Agreed.

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607

Go to this thread: http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?23-HEX-NET-Introductory-Videos

Watch the intro video for Infrastructure mode. Then go to Options -> Check for Update. You'll need to do so a minimum of three times to catch all the updates. You may see an "upgrade failed" dialog pop up after some of them; it is a cosmetic bug and can safely be ignored. Keep doing it until hitting Check for Update reports you're up to date.

Jason

Back