Hex-v2 worked at first...now I just get communication errors

Shiftypower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333483
Trying to adapt a used ecm from the junkyard to my 2000 mk4 golf gls tdi Immo-2. Doing this to minimize downtime while I send off my current ecu to get tuned. Both part numbers are exactly the same except one is German (original) and the secondhand one I bought From the junkyard says Brazil on the metal housing. I was only able to communicate with my ecu a handfull of times before I just kept getting communication errors. On the used ecu I followed the instructions on the Immo 2 instructions and I couldn’t get it to start the car, then it wouldn’t connect at all. I tried two different computers same result. Also of note is I’ve bought a used cluster off eBay as well because I ruined my old cluster with a botched soldiering job where I tore off a pad to the check engine light led, which was probably just fine. but I’ve been chasing this no check engine light on key on down a long and deep bunny hole it’s driving me nuts I’ve got about 50 days until the smog is due. looking for guidance

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I rather doubt the problem is your HEX-V2. More likely the car, which sounds to be something of a disaster area.

Communications with the ECU on those cars goes through the cluster. Pull the cluster, put a jumper between the "K" and the "W" pins on the two harness connectors and then see if you have comms to the ECU.

-Uwe-

Shiftypower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333483
Will do. Is that on the blue connector? Yah this car has turned into a bit of a dumpster fire disaster. And to top it off I had the spiciest Indian food I’ve ever eaten in my life yesterday, which is ok because I do my best thinking and paperwork on the toilet.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Will do. Is that on the blue connector? Yah this car has turned into a bit of a dumpster fire disaster. And to top it off I had the spiciest Indian food I’ve ever eaten in my life yesterday, which is ok because I do my best thinking and paperwork on the toilet.
I don't have wiring diagrams handy, but my recollection is that "K" is on one connector and "W" is on the other.

-Uwe-

Back