Thread: Hex-v2 worked at first...now I just get communication errors

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Hex-v2 worked at first...now I just get communication errors

Trying to adapt a used ecm from the junkyard to my 2000 mk4 golf gls tdi Immo-2. Doing this to minimize downtime while I send off my current ecu to get tuned. Both part numbers are exactly the same except one is German (original) and the secondhand one I bought From the junkyard says Brazil on the metal housing. I was only able to communicate with my ecu a handfull of times before I just kept getting communication errors. On the used ecu I followed the instructions on the Immo 2 instructions and I couldn’t get it to start the car, then it wouldn’t connect at all. I tried two different computers same result. Also of note is I’ve bought a used cluster off eBay as well because I ruined my old cluster with a botched soldiering job where I tore off a pad to the check engine light led, which was probably just fine. but I’ve been chasing this no check engine light on key on down a long and deep bunny hole it’s driving me nuts I’ve got about 50 days until the smog is due. looking for guidance

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I rather doubt the problem is your HEX-V2. More likely the car, which sounds to be something of a disaster area.

Communications with the ECU on those cars goes through the cluster. Pull the cluster, put a jumper between the "K" and the "W" pins on the two harness connectors and then see if you have comms to the ECU.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will do. Is that on the blue connector? Yah this car has turned into a bit of a dumpster fire disaster. And to top it off I had the spiciest Indian food I’ve ever eaten in my life yesterday, which is ok because I do my best thinking and paperwork on the toilet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiftypower View Post
    Will do. Is that on the blue connector? Yah this car has turned into a bit of a dumpster fire disaster. And to top it off I had the spiciest Indian food I’ve ever eaten in my life yesterday, which is ok because I do my best thinking and paperwork on the toilet.
    I don't have wiring diagrams handy, but my recollection is that "K" is on one connector and "W" is on the other.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.