Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audi A5 F5 (B9) Steering Wheel Stalk replacement coding

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Audi A5 F5 (B9) Steering Wheel Stalk replacement coding

I am planning to change the Steering Wheel Stalks assembly in an Audi A5 2018 Sportback (B9). Does any one know what coding might be needed when a new Steering Wheel Stalk assembly is installed. The new cars don't come with separate Slip ring and stalks. Everything is a single unit. Is the G85 Steering Wheel sensor calibration routine the same in the B9 cars?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Moved to Retrofits.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can I ask why the change is needed / what you are trying to retrofit?
    VAG Car Coding
    Adaptation | Coding | Diagnostic | Retrofit - London, United Kingdom

Authorised VW Group Services Provider and Independent Repairer
    @vagcarcoding

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am trying to retrofit a Heated Steering Wheel. It's no longer an available option in the UK on the 2018 A5 Sportbacks. It was available until last year and is still available in many countries.

I have the required new Steering Wheel. But need to buy a new Steering Wheel stalk assembly.
    And since I need to install a new Steering Wheel stalk assembly for the Heated function, I thought I might as well get one that comes with the ALA button.

So when I install the new Steering wheel stalk assembly that will need to be coded to the car. So as a basic step I guess the Steering wheel sensor will need calibration. Is the procedure on the B9 cars the same?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I Can help You code via online Acces to Fazit/S42
    VCDS HEX NET | VCP | O...S online | VAS 6154 | O...S E online | SVM Coding | IMMO | Keys | CP

Touran 5T 2018 2.0TDI 190

Post Thanks / Like
    Good stuff, got to love a heated wheel!

Well I am not sure on the answers to your questions but if you are in or around London I can assist with any of the needed works if VCDS will not complete the job. I have online access should SVM or CP be needed.
    VAG Car Coding
    Adaptation | Coding | Diagnostic | Retrofit - London, United Kingdom

Authorised VW Group Services Provider and Independent Repairer
    @vagcarcoding

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is someone prepared to tell me what I need to do if only VCDS is required? Also is the VIN number stored in the Steering Wheel Stalk assembly controller? I.e. Do I need to buy a new one or will a used one also work?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having just seen the A Map and B Map of the Steering Wheel Stalk, I can see that the car's VIN number is indeed stored in it. However the part itself has no coding possible. So how does one go about coding a new Steering Wheel Stalk to the car when the part doesn't accept coding? Is there even a concept of a module in the car that stores the car's Vehicle Order? Or is the Vehicle Order only stored online at VW HQ? This confirms that I can't use a Used part unless there is a way to change the VIN on that part?

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the part have Adaptation channels? VW are moving over to using only adaptation and no coding, so worth checking I think.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    The A Map shows some Adaptation channels. But the only one of note is the Steering Wheel Heater Temperature setting which is known. However the Block map shows a lot of values that the control has either learnt by itself, were pushed to it or were coded in. But if the part itself can't be coded how did those values get into the control module. That's my question.