2006 Audi A3 2.0T 6MT - Buyer’s Advice Needed

Green's Garage

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=310052
Hello guys and gals,

Not quite sure if this is the correct place to post this but...I’m currently in the market for an A3 sportback preferably with a manual transmission and stumbled across a pretty clean example with approximately 120k miles. The dealer is asking $6,600. The car allegedly has no accidents reported.

I live in Brooklyn and will be using this car for local travel ONLY commuting to and from work/picking up the baby from daycare. The wife has a brand new Jetta so if this has to sit out for a repair or two occasionally it’s not that big of a deal, but my main question here is this:

What should I be on the look out for with the A3 8P’s as far as drivetrain/electrical are concerned?

Are there any well known issues with this car in general?

Is the timing interval the standard VAG (inspect belt/tensioner) at 60k/80k/100k?

Does anyone have any experience with the 6 speed standard transmission?

Is the turbo on the 2.0T prone to consuming tons of oil/leaking tons of oil much like the 2.0Ts/1.8Ts in the VW line up from the early 2000’s?

Should I consider a different small hatchback?

Am I wasting my time and money with this car?

Thanks in advance!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I've had a 2006 since new. My son drives it now. However, it has much lower miles. It has not had any major problems.

One thing to find out: The BPY engines had an issue with the cam / high pressure fuel pump interface. IIRC, Audi extended the warranty on the relevant parts and repair to 120,000 miles. I suggest finding out whether the fix for that has been applied.

-Uwe-

Green's Garage

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=310052
Thank you for the response! I’ll definitely take a deeper look at the BPY extended warranty. I’ve broadened my search area and found a few in eastern PA with lower miles but they’re also asking closer to $10k. I’m more partial to the facelifted 8P’s but since this is a commuter car I’m trying to keep it as cheap as possible.

Was yours/your son’s a 6 speed? If so is there a specific brand of clutch you’d recommend for it?

Back