Thread: 2006 Audi A3 2.0T 6MT - Buyer’s Advice Needed

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

2006 Audi A3 2.0T 6MT - Buyer’s Advice Needed

Hello guys and gals,

Not quite sure if this is the correct place to post this but...I’m currently in the market for an A3 sportback preferably with a manual transmission and stumbled across a pretty clean example with approximately 120k miles. The dealer is asking $6,600. The car allegedly has no accidents reported.

I live in Brooklyn and will be using this car for local travel ONLY commuting to and from work/picking up the baby from daycare. The wife has a brand new Jetta so if this has to sit out for a repair or two occasionally it’s not that big of a deal, but my main question here is this:

What should I be on the look out for with the A3 8P’s as far as drivetrain/electrical are concerned?

Are there any well known issues with this car in general?

Is the timing interval the standard VAG (inspect belt/tensioner) at 60k/80k/100k?

Does anyone have any experience with the 6 speed standard transmission?

Is the turbo on the 2.0T prone to consuming tons of oil/leaking tons of oil much like the 2.0Ts/1.8Ts in the VW line up from the early 2000’s?

Should I consider a different small hatchback?

Am I wasting my time and money with this car?

Thanks in advance!

2. Likes Eric liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've had a 2006 since new. My son drives it now. However, it has much lower miles. It has not had any major problems.

One thing to find out: The BPY engines had an issue with the cam / high pressure fuel pump interface. IIRC, Audi extended the warranty on the relevant parts and repair to 120,000 miles. I suggest finding out whether the fix for that has been applied.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

4. Likes brooklynt3ch11214 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the response! I’ll definitely take a deeper look at the BPY extended warranty. I’ve broadened my search area and found a few in eastern PA with lower miles but they’re also asking closer to $10k. I’m more partial to the facelifted 8P’s but since this is a commuter car I’m trying to keep it as cheap as possible.

Was yours/your son’s a 6 speed? If so is there a specific brand of clutch you’d recommend for it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brooklynt3ch11214 View Post
    Was yours/your son’s a 6 speed? If so is there a specific brand of clutch you’d recommend for it?
    Yes, 6MT. Has not needed a clutch.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

7. Likes brooklynt3ch11214 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent, good to know.