Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OBD1 to OBD2 adapter - 1991 Passat 16v auto what vehicle connectors to use????????

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vwtech View Post
    I say go old school and forget the OBD 1 port unless you have to use it. Really never helped in CIS fuel system anyway.
    If you have the mil light then I'd try if I couldn't get the light out.
    Fuel pressures with CIS setup. System pressure then Control pressure tests.
    Then ECU electrical tests back probing at ECU connector with a digital meter.
    Then absolutely have no vac. leaks. Vac usually a big problem because it controls fuel delivery by lifting air flow meter plate.

This is how you diagnose CIS it's just how they did it before OBD1 and how the system was designed.
    Engine light and self diagnoses was an after thought to keep the Feds happy.

Whats the problem with the car?

Good Luck
    A little wonky on start up. Takes a few more turns then it should 8 out of 10 times. I feel the CSV or the temp sensor that controls the CSV may be an issue. Or possible the injectors themselves. The car has 120,000KMs on it and only 2000KMs in the last 10 years. Granny only drove it to the store and back. Sat in a garage the entire time. When we bought it, it wouldn't run but a tune up cured that. Now once it is running it runs very well. May also be vacuum leak somewhere. Going through everything now. lol
    Thanks Brett

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about cold start valve 5th injector function and status of idle stabilizer?

Sounds like FP regulator and accumulator are tired.

See VT0407 CISEM FIS
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified Coal Cracker
    Post Thanks / Like
    CSV = (cold start valve) ? Is that what you mean? Actually called a cold start injector.
    Thermal Time switch supply's a ground to cold start injector for up to 8 seconds during cranking.
    Key on cold start injector should have power at one terminal during cranking.
    Thermal time switch provides the ground for up to 8 sec. depending on temperature.
    You can either remove injector and actually watch it spray fuel during cold start.
    Or disconnect injector and use a test light between terminals should light up during cranking for a few seconds.
    This does not tell you injector is working though. Pulling injector you actually see it work which is better.
    You really only get 1 shot at testing it! Once the thermal time switch heats up quickly! You won't get another shot to test it till it cools back down again.

I actually have home made cheat sheet for testing CIS fuel pressure systems in word format easy too understand if you need them. PM me your e-mail address.
    This is CIS-E correct? Silver or Aluminum fuel distributor.
    Or CIS? Black fuel distributor.
    91 to me would be CIS-E but you are in Canada?

Good Luck and enjoy the rabbit.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm an air cooled Westfalia guy. To us it is a valve. lol Ya cold start injector.

Once it is started it is rock solid. Idle does not move at all and it runs very well. Just the odd ball wonky start. When cold it is rough for a few seconds and you need to play with the throttle and when hot it is 50 50. Sometimes it starts right up and sometimes it does not and you need to try a couple times. Today started perfect hot. Yesterday took 4 tries, 5 second each to start after driving it for a while. Cold start seems to start but falter for a few seconds and then evens out and runs well.

Injector/injectors leaking down?
    Fuel pressure in supply line leaking back into tank?

Last edited by 1975 Kombi; 04-01-2018 at 07:12 PM.
    Thanks Brett

Verified Coal Cracker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheat sheet sent.

You need CIS fuel tester hook up. Residual pressure will tell you if the injectors are leaking and flooding.

Good Luck

6. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Word 95. wow. I'll have to convert it to something newer. Thanks lol
    Thanks Brett

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an FYI SLMC.....

Didn't forget you & am still waiting for WSO Wurth supply in Germany & Happy Easter!
    Further!
    CIS E "Moronic" does not incorporate a Thermal time bitch......

ECT G62 FAIL was very common I have in stock vintage OEM!
    If ignition timing base setting for distributor is not correct will result in cold start being hindered in the 9A in addition to base position TS.
    Be sure TS and air idle screw are set proper with timing.

OP: You may indeed want to check the check valve at fuel pump and accumulation + for faulty regulation and or stuck open evap check valves or vacuum leaks messing with sensor plate or the actual air flow meter potentiometer base setting too.

Remove injectors and watch spray pattern is best test into glass jars to see what is happening cold, at same time gives you opportunity to check for cracked o-rings or just change them anyway because they always leaked at brass air shroud hat in intake.
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

9. Likes Uwe, vwtech liked this post
    Verified Coal Cracker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now I am a Bitch.
    And so old I used word 95 to write something in 1995.

Jack I know your still waiting on the harness stuff.
    You are also right cold start injector info was for CIS.
    Why did you write this in post 12..... "How about cold start valve 5th injector function and status of idle stabilizer?"
    I wasn't thinking right and just explained 5th injector because you mentioned it Dick!

The cheat sheet explained it right.

Differential Pressure Regulator Current

To ensure smooth running, the system supplies additional fuel to a just started engine and a cold engine, by increasing differential pressure regulator current for a short period after starting and during warm-up. The starter supply's the signal to the E.C.M., which increases differential pressure regulator current for approximately 40 seconds on a just started engine. The coolant temperature sensor supply's the information to the E.C.M. for cold running enrichment, which increases the differential pressure regulator current and decreases the current gradually as the engine warms-up.

And I am sure you'll edit this too.

O.P. sorry about old word version. What do you want I wrote it a long time ago at least I still got it.
    You will need a 15K ohm resistor to simulate a cold motor. I think you can just disconnect it to do this also?
    You will also need a harness to measure the amperage of the differential pressure regulator.

Good Luck

11. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now I am a Bitch.
    And so old I used word 95 to write something in 1995.

Jack I know your still waiting on the harness stuff.
    You are also right cold start injector info was for CIS.
    Why did you write this in post 12..... "How about cold start valve 5th injector function and status of idle stabilizer?"
    I wasn't thinking right and just explained 5th injector because you mentioned it Dick!

The cheat sheet explained it right.

Differential Pressure Regulator Current

To ensure smooth running, the system supplies additional fuel to a just started engine and a cold engine, by increasing differential pressure regulator current for a short period after starting and during warm-up. The starter supply's the signal to the E.C.M., which increases differential pressure regulator current for approximately 40 seconds on a just started engine. The coolant temperature sensor supply's the information to the E.C.M. for cold running enrichment, which increases the differential pressure regulator current and decreases the current gradually as the engine warms-up.

And I am sure you'll edit this too.

O.P. sorry about old word version. What do you want I wrote it a long time ago at least I still got it.
    You will need a 15K ohm resistor to simulate a cold motor. I think you can just disconnect it to do this also?
    You will also need a harness to measure the amperage of the differential pressure regulator.

Good Luck

Thermal Time switch supply's a ground to cold start injector for up to 8 seconds during cranking.
    It's all good SLMC....
    My ref Thermal time bitch = "Thermal time switch" .........it doesn't exist in CISEM, nor would a warm up regulator, but you didn't mention the WUR.
    Many variables can contribute to a rough cold start in CISE-"Moronic"

Just didn't want the OP looking for a switch that doesn't exist & as he is already confused!

13. Likes vwtech liked this post
    Verified Coal Cracker
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree!
    CIS E will confuse a lot of people.

Good Luck