Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OBD1 to OBD2 adapter - 1991 Passat 16v auto what vehicle connectors to use????????

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

OBD1 to OBD2 adapter - 1991 Passat 16v auto what vehicle connectors to use????????

I have an engine issue with my 1991 Passat and I wish to connect the vagcom and scan for fault codes. My issue is I don't have the typical OBD1 connectors on my vehicle that the 2X2 adapter can connect to and want to know if anyone has run into this and what to do.

Typically there is one white and one black connector on the vehicle to access the fault codes and the same on the 2X2 adapter and each of these connectors has a specific shape so they can't be connected incorrectly. I have one white and two blue on my vehicle and they are all the same shape. I believe that the two blue connectors are for the auto but not sure and one connector has only one terminal filled in on the connector.

2X2 adapter normal: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/2x2.html

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by 1975 Kombi; 03-30-2018 at 08:54 PM.
    Thanks Brett

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope I can add a black connector to the open slot beside the white. It is just power and ground and I will check the white connector to see if it has the blue wire on top and the yellow wire on the bottom. If that is true I should be good to go.

Or the black connector might be there just pushed back into the console. I'll check tomorrow and post back.
    Thanks Brett

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Black....... Power/Ground
    White .........RAPID DATA TRANSFER & CA OBD mandate lines for initialing 04 vs 08
    Blue ........alternate for ABS & GEARBOX line and blink tester mode.....basically not used!

VAG 1551 BLINK alternate mode is in contrast to rapid data transfer & when not using an RS422 to link a VAG1767 to the VAG1551.

This was used in order to perform a cross check function of TPS or throttle switches and set CO for the DPR settings on the CISEM, further then clear the DTC as a result of unplugging the ECT to do so with the VAG1551!

Self study 1991 model change SSP 400 or PART # WSP 521-400-00

RTFB your WD and meter stuff out.......
    TSB's must be checked because many cars were wired wrong and the white was running power and ground, while blue was an acting DATA line!

NostraJackAss Has Spoken!
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 03-30-2018 at 09:22 PM.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

4. Likes Zenerdiode, vwtech, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that's a lot of info. I don't think my kids Passat has ABS so blink tester mode. I will check the wiring diagrams and see what's what.

So I guess the question is can I read the codes?
    Last edited by 1975 Kombi; 03-30-2018 at 09:24 PM.
    Thanks Brett

Post Thanks / Like
    You might be able to.....& you might not, if the baud rate isn't set slow enough.

I just don't recall hooking VCDS up to the 16V because I come from the old boys clubs now with the blue boxes.

Wait for Uwe to confirm or Eric.......?

What seems to be the issue causing the needs for tissues?

Show me some pictures of jam sticker & under hood and if this has a MIL on dash......most likely doesn't.

https://s31.postimg.org/g0izy7ml7/CISEM.png

Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 03-30-2018 at 09:44 PM.
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

7. Likes Zenerdiode liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    VAG 1551 BLINK alternate mode is in contrast to rapid data transfer...
    Ah, fond memories of when I was a Ďslip of a ladí and lying on my back, upside down on the driverís seat, with my head in the footwell; LED, resistor and strap in hand, to flash out ĎBlink Codesí from my Audi 80 Sport (Typ 89). Really chuffed when my little LED started flashing.

Neighbours thinking Iím weird...

Whatís a VAG1767 Jack?

9. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What’s a VAG1767 Jack?

OP keep in mind your best case scenario for repairs with CISE & even Motronic are using the DVOM and straight up old school raw tests as described in the RTFB.......This is when techs were actually techs and understood what they were doing to a degree & the RTFB was more useful!

Now Dr. Z.......

A VAG 1767 takes the place of the VAG1367 and was a timing machine to watch RPM with engine speed sensor and added long temp sensor probe for gearbox's.
    It also came with an inductive pickup directly, its own battery and card.

It looks very similar in size to the VAG1551 and units all migrated with a gas analyzer on a medical type trolley from Grundig Siemens.

The speed sensor was used directly in that hole in the plastic screw in the bell housing to ID TDC.

VAG1767 \/ minus inductive coil cable in hole, speed sensor, temp probe & timing light.

VAG 1367 \/ also there was a machine made by Siemens but it wasn't used very long I still have one.

VAG 1267 \/

VAG 1551 \/

VAG1363A GAS \/
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 03-31-2018 at 08:15 AM.

11. Likes Uwe, Boki Ar, D-Dub liked this post
    Verified Coal Cracker
    Post Thanks / Like
    I say go old school and forget the OBD 1 port unless you have to use it. Really never helped in CIS fuel system anyway.
    If you have the mil light then I'd try if I couldn't get the light out.
    Fuel pressures with CIS setup. System pressure then Control pressure tests.
    Then ECU electrical tests back probing at ECU connector with a digital meter.
    Then absolutely have no vac. leaks. Vac usually a big problem because it controls fuel delivery by lifting air flow meter plate.

This is how you diagnose CIS it's just how they did it before OBD1 and how the system was designed.
    Engine light and self diagnoses was an after thought to keep the Feds happy.

Whats the problem with the car?

Good Luck

13. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most importantly be sure to vacate any oil leak into the distributor cap on 16V!

15. Likes vwtech liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If this were a US model car, in principle, I think the ECU and TCU on this car should both talk. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if models built for Canada were a bit different back then.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

17. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post