Why Upgrade?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
We have gotten several inquiries from customers who have legacy interfaces about using them on the latest cars. You are welcome to try a scan using the latest version of VCDS (which can always be found here) and email it to us. This should show details of what is and what is not compatible.

1) Why upgrade?

The HEX-V2 product announcement contains some information about why we discontinued our mainstay HEX+CAN that we had sold since 2004.

Vehicle Needs:
  • A HEX-NET or HEX-V2 is needed to fully support the latest vehicle platforms (MLBevo and the Chassis shown here). New releases of VCDS will take advantage of the hardware features in the new interfaces. For full performance of our software, users will need to use the new interface products: HEX-NET and HEX-V2. We pushed the HEX+CAN as far as we could. Now, for the newest platforms, the new interfaces are required. We have also discovered some Adaptation Channels in vehicles as far back as 2015 that use so many bytes that they are only supported by the HEX-NET and HEX-V2.
  • Lamborghini vehicles are explicitly not supported by any of our interfaces except the HEX-NET.
  • Model Year 2019 and newer vehicles are only supported with our current interfaces (HEX-V2 and HEX-NET).

New Features/Functions:
Since ongoing development of VCDS is being done for use with our current interfaces, some new features are only available when using a HEX-NET or HEX-V2 interface, for example Extended UDS Fault Code Information. Another new feature available only when using a HEX-NET or HEX-V2 is Experimental Coding. Currently in Beta versions (which are HEX-NET and HEX-V2 only), you can run Whole Vehicle Maps.

Design Enhancements:
The HEX-NET and HEX-V2 are designed with user-replaceable USB wires (the standard printer-type work fine as a substitute) unlike the older permanently connected design of the legacy interfaces. This can be handy if, for example, a wire gets damaged when closed in a car door.

If you are using a legacy interface on older cars then VCDS should still work fine with it. If you work on newer vehicles or wish to take advantage of newer features, then you should upgrade.

2) How to upgrade?

Licensed, registered users in good standing with Ross-Tech are eligible for these trade-in programs.

If you purchased a system from one of our authorized distributors you can contact them to ask if they have a trade-in offer. Not all of them do but it's worth asking and may save you time/money.

Last edited:

raziel90

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=172805
Hi
I have a passat cc from 2009 at the moment and ai+usb+can cabel and i wonder what will i be able to do if i upgrade to a hex-net unlimited that i can't do with my old interface?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hi
I have a passat cc from 2009 at the moment and ai+usb+can cabel and i wonder what will i be able to do if i upgrade to a hex-net unlimited that i can't do with my old interface?
If you're using VCDS on a ten year old car, there's no terribly compelling reason to upgrade your interface. The biggest thing a HEX-NET will get you on that car is wireless (WiFi) connectivity to a PC, and the ability to use VCDS-Mobile.

-Uwe-

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
So I'm confused at the moment. Do I need to update?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
So I'm confused at the moment. Do I need to update?
If you only work on VAG vehicles that are older than 2015 then a HEX-CAN will be OK, but if you work on vehicles newer than that there will be some adaptation channels that a HEX-CAN cannot handle so you will need a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET to guarantee you can "access all areas".

And if you work on 2019 or newer models then you definitely need either a HEX-V2 or a HEX-NET as VCDS software now detects if you try to use a HEX-CAN on those model years.

Reactions: Uwe

stuartb3502

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=150057
Hello, VCDS user since 2010. Just registered on here after reading about the new interfaces and licensing model.

Ugh.

I fear the product licensing change to VIN restricted makes it a no go for me. I have only used my HEX+CAN on our two cars and only very occasionally. I bought it as I was retrofitting RNS510s to both. I did some adaptations for fun and the very occasional read of fault codes. Say we buy one new 2019 VW group car (which is a likely scenario). I'll have to upgrade to a new interface and buy say 3 VINs. If I do anything on our existing cars requiring a VIN registration, my purchase is then useless when we replace either of those cars (which again is a likely scenario). Doesn't seem like great value compared to what you offered in the past unless I'm missing something? Is it not possible to have a smarter VIN registration algorithm which allows for replacing a car? I know it needs to ensure that professional usage could not game this, but there would seem to be ways to avoid this. Off the top of my head without too much thought (I'm sure you guys have smarter brains)... before unregistering a VIN, you have to connect to that car again. And the software would enforce a minimum period between first use on the car and this de-registration process (e.g. 6 months). If I'm paying for use on 3 cars, I should not have to consider or limit my changes of cars to comply with a software license.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hello, VCDS user since 2010. Just registered on here after reading about the new interfaces and licensing model.

Ugh.

I fear the product licensing change to VIN restricted makes it a no go for me. I have only used my HEX+CAN on our two cars and only very occasionally. I bought it as I was retrofitting RNS510s to both. I did some adaptations for fun and the very occasional read of fault codes. Say we buy one new 2019 VW group car (which is a likely scenario). I'll have to upgrade to a new interface and buy say 3 VINs. If I do anything on our existing cars requiring a VIN registration, my purchase is then useless when we replace either of those cars (which again is a likely scenario). Doesn't seem like great value compared to what you offered in the past unless I'm missing something? Is it not possible to have a smarter VIN registration algorithm which allows for replacing a car? I know it needs to ensure that professional usage could not game this, but there would seem to be ways to avoid this. Off the top of my head without too much thought (I'm sure you guys have smarter brains)... before unregistering a VIN, you have to connect to that car again. And the software would enforce a minimum period between first use on the car and this de-registration process (e.g. 6 months). If I'm paying for use on 3 cars, I should not have to consider or limit my changes of cars to comply with a software license.
The interface doesn't have a clock/calendar in it, so there is no way to enforce a time limit because the clock/calendar on a PC can easily be changed.

As for value: A HEX+CAN sold for $349. A 10-VIN HEX-V2 sells for $299 (without a trade-in) and $149 (with trade-in of the HEX+CAN). Ten VINs should cover the average home user for many, many years.

-Uwe-

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
Further to what Uwe said above, seeing as you're in the UK - a 10-VIN interface is £299 inc. VAT in the UK, (and if you managed to use all 10 you could upgrade the license to Unlimited later for £169 - so only an £18 penalty compared to the £450 cost of buying unlimited up-front)

If you speak to the supplier you bought the HUC from they may be able to offer a trade-in, but before you do that check out the price you could sell it for 2nd-hand.
We've seen 10 year old HUC interfaces selling on Ebay for more than we originally sold them for, as people buying 2nd hand tend to assume (usually incorrectly) that they are going to want to do advanced functions on more than 3 or 10 cars)

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

stuartb3502

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=150057
Ten VINs should cover the average home user for many, many years.

-Uwe-

As long as I constrain my car buying/changing to suit your licensing needs. I doubt we'll we'll ever agree that the approach is wrong in principle. Thanks for replying.

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
As long as I constrain my car buying/changing to suit your licensing needs. I doubt we'll we'll ever agree that the approach is wrong in principle.

By your own admission you've had VCDS for 9 years, and have used it on 2 cars:
I have only used my HEX+CAN on our two cars and only very occasionally.

If you bought your HUC from a UK distributor, in 2010 the going rate was around £260-£265 - call it £262 for the sake of argument, so that's £131 per car, for 9 years of use, with no ongoing update costs.

If your usage were to follow the same pattern going forward, a 3-VIN interface would cover you for £225 (£75 per car) or a 10-VIN for £299 (£30 per car).
That strikes me as a better deal from the new licensing model, especially given inflation.
Using the Bank of England's inflation calculator, £262 in 2010 was worth the equivalent of £350 in 2018 (2019 is not listed yet). Or to put it another way, in 2010 terms a 3-VIN interface only costs £179! :thumbs:

beepi

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this information.
I really wonder, do you think the HEX+CAN might cause any damage to the newer models with unsupported chassis?
I specifically refer to long-coding of the 5F module.

My car workshop hasn't upgraded their interface to the HEX V2 just yet and I wanted to get their help unlocking my RVC function for my Ibiza 2019.
The scan output was similar to this one, but I wasn't sure about the warning: "Unsupported vehicle.Please upgrade to a current Ross-Tech interface."

Would they be able to do the long-coding for my car?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
My car workshop hasn't upgraded their interface to the HEX V2 just yet and I wanted to get their help unlocking my RVC function for my Ibiza 2019.

Would they be able to do the long-coding for my car?
I would recommend against trying to change anything on a 2019 car with a HEX+CAN.

-Uwe-

GeriatricGinger

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=255667
I have the HEX+CAN unlimited and want to upgrade it to the HEX-NET, since I now also have a 2019 Passat. I paid like 350$ for the HEX+CAN Pro. But to upgrade it to the HEXNET, am I right that it's an additional $450 plus my hex+can??
Thanks.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
But to upgrade it to the HEXNET, am I right that it's an additional $450 plus my hex+can??
The upgrade from a HEX+CAN to HEX-NET with unlimited VINs is $399:
In effect, that's a $200 trade-in credit for the HEX+CAN that you paid $349 for all those years ago.

There are also less expensive upgrades. You can get a 10-VIN HEX-V2 for $149. Unless you're using it professionally, 10 VINs should last a very long time, and if/when you use them all, you can upgrade the license to Unlimited VINs for an additional $169.

Or you could just keep the HEX+CAN (which has no VIN limit) for whatever older cars you're working on and purchase (no upgrade) a 3-VIN HEX-V2 for $199 to use on your 2019 Passat.

-Uwe-

AdvTechTS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=244935
Hi, I have an HEX+CAN in Australia (purchased from an AU distributor). Can I do the upgrade directly with Ross-Tech in the US?
Cheers, Chad.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
You are a registered user in good standing. Yes, you can upgrade direct through Ross-Tech.

Did you contact your distributor (Mount Automotive) in Australia? Did they tell you they do not do upgrades? They have the option as there is very little margin in upgrades for them.

Have you considered the shipping costs? Shipping from the US to Australia by FedEx is costing $100 or more. We only ship by Fedex International.

You might be better off selling your H+C and applying the proceeds to a new unit from an Aussie Distributor. The all in costs might be less.

AdvTechTS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=244935
You are a registered user in good standing. Yes, you can upgrade direct through Ross-Tech.

Did you contact your distributor (Mount Automotive) in Australia? Did they tell you they do not do upgrades? They have the option as there is very little margin in upgrades for them.

Have you considered the shipping costs? Shipping from the US to Australia by FedEx is costing $100 or more. We only ship by Fedex International.

You might be better off selling your H+C and applying the proceeds to a new unit from an Aussie Distributor. The all in costs might be less.
Thanks Bruce, I hadn't thought of the additional freight and I have only checked their website. I got my HEX+CAN from mount in 2015. Their website says A$1054 A$988 (US$730) MAES - HEX-NET so it does leave quite a margin for freight. I'll contact them and ask for the upgrade option.

bkr

Reaction score
Just looked at the new VCDS HEX V2, and the store here in Norway states on the webpage that there's no LT3 available in this one. True or not?

Back