Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hex-Net logging issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by westerner View Post
    I got pretty excited when I saw 'Fix for data logging' in the release notes. Now that I have done some testing, my excitement has waned.
    If you can give more details about what still doesn't function as expected it would help...

2. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    If you can give more details about what still doesn't function as expected it would help...
    All the details I have previously given still apply. I see no change at all. It is still impossible to obtain a log of my transmission temperature. The log contains only one value, which is evidently the coolant temperature, just like before. Here's a link to the log I generated in testing a few days ago https://s3.amazonaws.com/docbucketjmb/LOG-5(7).csv

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Something that's been described as:
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    deprecated [...] and isn't currently supported correctly by VCDS-Mobile.
    is not going to get addressed in a "fix". If this is ever implemented in VCDS-Mobile, it would be described as an "enhancement" or something like that.

FWIW, VCDS running on a PC will get you those values.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something that's been described as:

is not going to get addressed in a "fix". If this is ever implemented in VCDS-Mobile, it would be described as an "enhancement" or something like that.

-Uwe-
    Then you should put a "NO" in the 'Data Logging' row for the VCDS-Mobile column on this page: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Functions

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by westerner View Post
    Then you should put a "NO" in the 'Data Logging' row for the VCDS-Mobile column on this page: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Functions
    It logs data just fine from control modules that use all methods except this very unusual one, which was not supposed to be used at all after the early-to-mid 1990s.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just so we're all on the same page, I think westerner is talking about missing the TCM temp in OBD2 mode. That should be fixable.
    You ain't metal till you got a clutch pedal

8. Likes westerner liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I think the TCM temp is well in hand. As NETech points out in comment #8, one of the temps shown is from the transmission. I'm sure he's correct. One of the temps seen in the screenshot in comment #7 is the temp we want. But only ONE temp ever makes it into the log file. I don't care if it never shows on the VCDSMobile screen, I just want it in the log file on the HEX-NET side so I can later post-process it.

Here's a screen recording I made just now on a trip to the store: https://s3.amazonaws.com/docbucketjmb/vcdsMobile.mp4 Here is the log file corresponding to this recording: https://s3.amazonaws.com/docbucketjmb/LOG-5(8).csv I sped up the video in the interest in brevity. I also truncated some of the end of the video, so the log file covers a longer period of real clock time than the video.

None of the problems a developer would face in fixing this have anything to do with the 9141 protocol. It's just all wackiness in your own code. Note in the video, by the time it ends there are 5 temperatures displayed. The car only has two controllers. Maybe the others are from the blinker fluid controller and the muffler bearing controller and something else. But only one stinking temperature is ever committed to the log. The 9141 protocol has nothing to do with these discrepancies.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

-Uwe-
    I tried that experiment today and got these useless results: https://s3.amazonaws.com/docbucketjm...5-xx-xx-xx.CSV

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No, I mean transmission fluid temperature directly from the transmission, not via generic OBD-II.

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like