Hex-Net logging issues

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Right, it's really old-school.

Use Measuring Blocks, not Advanced Measuring Values. Go to Group 005 and look in Fiield 1.

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Use Measuring Blocks, not Advanced Measuring Values. Go to Group 005 and look in Fiield 1.
The question of whether to use Advanced Measuring Values or Measuring Blocks is a recurring theme over the last few weeks.

Maybe it would be worth considering expanding the message box to suggest that the other option is the one supported by the module concerned?
That may help reduce the confusion and subsequent questions on here (and sometime assumption that there is a problem in VCDS)?

Reactions: Uwe

westerner

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6138
There's a hill in my neighborhood. If I attach my UltraGauge Blue and drive up and down the hill, the transmission temp gauge I defined moves gradually up and down by 2 degrees F. If I drive the same course with my expensive laptop teetering on the back seat to record a log from my expensive HEX-NET I get the following log: https://docbucketjmb.s3.amazonaws.com/LOG-02-005-xxx-xxx.CSV which pretty much only toggles between 68C and 80C.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
There's a hill in my neighborhood. If I attach my UltraGauge Blue and drive up and down the hill, the transmission temp gauge I defined moves gradually up and down by 2 degrees F. If I drive the same course with my expensive laptop teetering on the back seat to record a log from my expensive HEX-NET I get the following log: https://docbucketjmb.s3.amazonaws.com/LOG-02-005-xxx-xxx.CSV which pretty much only toggles between 68C and 80C.
OK, that doesn't seem right. What does it show when the transmission is cold (ambient temperature)?

-Uwe-

westerner

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6138
I stumbled on a discovery. VCDS works better if it gets an assist from UltraGauge. If I first connect my UltraGauge and then yank it and connect VCDS/Hex-Net, the VCDS GUI makes more sense and its log makes more sense. Here is the GUI without and with an assist:
VCDSNoAssist.png

VCDSWithAssist.png

I've already provided a no-assist sample of a VCDS log. Here is a log after an assist: https://docbucketjmb.s3.amazonaws.com/LOG-02-005-xxx-xxx-With-Assist.CSV The values gradually increase from my garage's ambient temp.

I was hoping I would see some improvement in the VCDS-mobile/Hex-Net configuration after an UltraGauge assist, but I didn't.

Last edited:

westerner

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6138
I wasn't able to reproduce my results this morning either. Second image in each case.

Back