Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Touareg 7P US model retrofitted with Euro tow bar & controller

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello again. Picking up where I left off last year.
    Went over the wiring diagram again for the J345 trailer module.

The "V317 Ball hitch swiveling motor" and "G473 Trailer hitch motor position sensor" are connected to the "J345 Towing recognition control module" via a 24 pin connector.

There appear to be 2 types of J345 modules that fit my 2013 7P Touareg:

The 7P0-907-383-C (that I have) with the large connector coming from the towbar being 18 pins:

and the 4H0 907 383 L, with the large connector coming from the towbar being 24 pins (as described in the wiring diagram above):

I am wondering if my troubles are a result of this mix-up. Any comments are welcome.
    Last edited by flyingpenguin; 12-03-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Your picture links don't work, even when I copy and past them like this:
    https://by3302files.storage.live.com...130&height=800.
    I get a page that asks me to sign in. Please use a proper image hosting service as described here.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

3. Likes flyingpenguin liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Done. Thx.

5. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did You get from junkyard complete set, all parts removed from one car? (Mechanical parts, control module and wiring loom)?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did. complete set removed from 2013 7P Touareg...

Also followed Bigbigtom's suggestion over at mytreg.com to use coding 0100000202000000, which was not accepted. As of yet do not know which exact module Bigbigtom actually has installed. I suspect that the older units need 2nd binary location to be 00 instead of 06.

Would be helpful to obtain the correct wiring diagram for the 7P0-907-383-C (based on T16 + T12 + T12 connectors)..

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    If You still can get VIN from donor car, WD in Erwin by this VIN should be correct for Your parts set

9. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    My thought too, but impossible to retrieve donor vehicle VIN. Will try to locate VIN of Trailer equipped 2013 7P and check ERWIN.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same issues with the basic calibration code when i fitted the factory fit Swivelling towbar to an 4F A6 MY2011 which uses what looks like the same control module (Actually Westfalia made). I found the westfalia instructions fairly useful as their own aftermarket kit used the same controller and was wired the same as the factory fitted unit. Not sure if this applies exactly the same as yours but here is the instructions i think for your 7P (https://www.pfjones.co.uk/westfalia_...1765300113.pdf).

I found that I had a microswitch that was stuck on my set up which wasnt registering the towbar as locked in place. Once you get to the point of having the red flashing light on the control you should be able to use Measuring Blocks to observe the microswitch statuses to check wiring and function. Once the switch was working on mine cycling it manually a few times cleared the fault and the light on my control went to a steady green. The towbar release on mine is a manual knob however, i believe yours is electric but hopefully the same principle applies.

Dean

12. Likes flyingpenguin, Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dino20vt! The further I dig, though, the more I am leaning towards incorrect pin-outs from the trailer control unit (J345) to the trailer hitch release button (E754 / part# 7P6 959 511 J). On a Russian site there is mention of section 19 in the Touareg 7P wiring diagram that is missing from my version purchased through erWin. If anyone would be willing to share that particualr section 19 for my perusal, that would be much appreciated..

14. Likes Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Turns out erWin has an option to pay 7 for one hour access. Just enough to download the relevant diagrams.. digging further.

16. Likes PetrolDave liked this post