Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The roar of the March Lion

Post Thanks / Like

The roar of the March Lion

March came in like a lion all right this year, with *two* nor'easters dumping on our area in less than a week. Our local power company was down to their last 100 customers without power (out of 110,000+ without power) from the last storm when the flakes started flying for this one. I haven't been outside to take an official measurement yet, but it looks like about 5cm with rates of 2.5 - 5 cm per hour forecast for this afternoon. Wet snow again, sticking to the trees and surely going to cause more power outages.

There's a weather joke about knowing that you are about to get walloped when you see Jim Cantore and a Weather Channel TV crew standing on your lawn. Jim is in New England today, but his co-star Jen Carfagno is set up 23km to our south this morning in the town of Central Valley in a commuter parking lot across from the Woodbury Commons outlet mall.

I'll post pictures later, when the lighting is a little better.....

2. Likes Bruce, Boki Ar liked this post
    Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    As of midnight last night, our local power company still had 9,833 customers without power going into this storm. At the peak, our power company had over 600k customers without power. I consider myself fortunate as we only had 34 hours without power. It was not a terrible hardship.

The other fun part of these storms is the saturated ground here. We have had one the most rainy Febs on record. The ground is nothing but mush! Trees are going over easy in the winds that come with these storms. Southeast PA will see another batch of outages with heavy wet snow and 35-45mph winds.. not like Friday's storm but still significant. With this storm, we will have a big dump of heavy wet snow which will pull trees down.

I did have a tree come down on my home - no damage - just a PITA. Was really cool to watch. Earlier in the day, half the tree fell away from the house into the yard. We knew the tree was stressed and it was only a matter of time until the rest came down. In the wind, we could see what remained of the trunk twisting... Well, I was eating dinner, the tree just outside the sliding glass door at my back. My son is watching the tree and I see his concern as he shouts, "Here it comes!" Well, you have not seen a fat old man move as fast as this fat old man moved.. and we watched the tree. What a ballet! The pirouette and the gentleness with which it set itself on the house was as if angels were guiding it to a safe resting place. Really! Could not believe how gentle it touched the house - barely a sound. Then it came to a rest and set there til we took it down on Sunday.

I suspect more fun times around the corner...

Seems the newsies have given all a new holiday today.. the storm has yet to materialize. The roads just wet. And, the roads were empty this am coming to work. Wuses rule!
    Last edited by Bruce; 03-07-2018 at 08:23 AM.

4. Likes vreihen, Boki Ar liked this post
    Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Seems the newsies have given all a new holiday today.. the storm has yet to materialize. The roads just wet. And, the roads were empty this am coming to work. Wuses rule!

6. Likes Bruce, vreihen, Uwe, Boki Ar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On the "weather lab" deck railing to the right is a NWS-approved Stratus rain gauge (in snow mode), a cheesy $1.89 "garden store" rain gauge, and an item that I can't talk about and am too lazy to blot out of the picture.....

8. Likes Boki Ar liked this post
    Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now its starting to stick on the roads.

10. Likes Uwe, vreihen, Boki Ar liked this post
    Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like

12. Likes Boki Ar, Andy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have some big 'ol flakes coming down now.....

14. Likes Boki Ar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

In my country, there was a problem due to a sudden increase in temperature. From -15 to +15 C.

Today we had sunshine, heavy showers and ice. Like in the summer months. Some places have a big problem with floods.

16. Likes Uwe, vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still coming down at a moderate clip as darkness falls. A few hours ago, a tree in the woods next to the garage fell with a crash. My wife was pulling out of the driveway when she heard the crash...and saw the tree as it came crashing down into the driveway right where she was parked a few seconds earlier! It hit my trailer and there is a stray branch that broke off stuck to the CATV feed from the pole to the house. I haven't been outside to survey the damage yet.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Ughhh. The tree is broken by the frost or by the weight of the snow? What's the temperature outside?