Page 52 of 94 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT GENERAL NEWS THREAD ANYTHING GOES!

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 'Right to Repair' Movement Is Gaining Ground and Could Hit Manufacturers Hard
    http://fortune.com/2019/01/09/right-...manufacturers/

In the EU and at least 18 U.S. states, regulators are starting to listen and considering proposals that address the impact of planned obsolescence by making household goods sturdier and easier to mend, reports the BBC.

About time but a tad late still.......
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been making a conscious effort to buy goods I can repair. It's REALLY hard work to find anything!

Then there is the cost - people want cheap crap AND they want it repairable??? Good luck.

After our Toaster crapped out, I spent a bit of time researching what I wanted.

I eventually found the Dualit Toaster, which I could buy in NZ for NZ$ 699!!!!!

After buying it on Amazon UK and shipping it to NZ... I paid NZ$360! (US$250)

So while I've still spent double what a decent toaster costs, I have a toaster that I can buy all the parts for, and is DESIGNED to be repaired! Overall, I don't expect it to cost me less than replacing toasters every time they crap out, It means I don't have to dispose of the old one, and I can make a manly attempt at repairing it

Plus... LOOK AT IT! After I got it, one of the guys at work got one out of his storage, from 1993. It has one element burnt out, so I've been playing "NZToasterNurd" for a while , restoring it from this state:

Old and New:

Mine was hand assembled by Michael, in the UK (so far the electrics still work, and it hasn't leaked any oil!):

Allan
    The R32ran Thread
    How to post a full Auto-Scan
    "Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound"

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is this not how things used to be, unfortunately the world we live in now is one that is throw away and wasteful. I welcome this right to repair movement but at the same time the common sense some of our population have I am also very worried for there safety.

4. Likes NZDubNurd, PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been making a conscious effort to buy goods I can repair. It's REALLY hard work to find anything!

Then there is the cost - people want cheap crap AND they want it repairable??? Good luck.

After our Toaster crapped out, I spent a bit of time researching what I wanted.

I eventually found the Dualit Toaster, which I could buy in NZ for NZ$ 699!!!!!

After buying it on Amazon UK and shipping it to NZ... I paid NZ$360! (US$250)

So while I've still spent double what a decent toaster costs, I have a toaster that I can buy all the parts for, and is DESIGNED to be repaired! Overall, I don't expect it to cost me less than replacing toasters every time they crap out, It means I don't have to dispose of the old one, and I can make a manly attempt at repairing it

Plus... LOOK AT IT! After I got it, one of the guys at work got one out of his storage, from 1993. It has one element burnt out, so I've been playing "NZToasterNurd" for a while , restoring it from this state:

Old and New:
    I think with all the fraud out there as example an EEprom with a time clock to stop printing a page or for AECD's being manipulated by "whoever" such as tuners or OEM such as "diesel-gate" , sure makes me glad I can just go do mechanical and DVOM tests to prove a diagnostic path, and like the good old days!

Maybe I will make a necklace out of my PSI sensor for the DPF for my TDI & that sits in front of me as a constant reminder.

There is something to be said about a well designed super efficient all mechanical device & with minimal electronics & no matter how much copper you plan to save seems to be cheaper than any gold board or chipset.

Things are too complex & sometimes for no good reason and reality is more harmful to the environment by shear production or waste due to unneeded irreparable replacement and a dumb population ensues!
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

6. Likes Uwe, NZDubNurd, Sacha35 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Things are too complex & sometimes for no good reason and reality is more harmful to the environment by shear production or waste due to unneeded irreparable replacement and a dumb population ensues!
    Amen to that

8. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts, NZDubNurd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amen to that

Post Thanks / Like
    https://nypost.com/2019/02/05/texas-...ding-vape-pen/

Texas man killed by exploding vape pen

Still want to use this in your mouth or in your EV?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    https://nypost.com/2019/02/05/texas-...ding-vape-pen/
    Texas man killed by exploding vape pen
    Still want to use this in your mouth or in your EV?
    If he had died in a fire caused by careless smoking, this wouldn't have made the news outside the county he's in.

That said, there are some poorly though-out vape devices that can indeed turn into pipe bombs if the battery in 'em goes into thermal runaway. I bought one like that about five years ago and never felt comfortable using it, so it saw almost no use at all. The ones I do use, there's simply no way for them to develop any over-pressure at all, much less enough over-pressure to propel a piece of something fast enough to sever an artery. Yes, burns are still a possibility, but that's true for every device with a Li-ion battery in it.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think everyone here would be devastated if we heard you got hurt this way.
    I don't trust these batteries after some personal observations but I drilled holes in my flash lights to to relieve possible PSI gassing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think everyone here would be devastated if we heard you got hurt this way.
    I don't trust these batteries after some personal observations but I drilled holes in my flash lights to to relieve possible PSI gassing.
    Good move. The holes need to be up near the positive end of the battery, because that's where a round cell will vent if it does. Lots of the poorly though-out vapes have vents at the bottom, near the negative end, where the won't do any good at all if the cell swells, and an failing cell will do exactly that.

Speaking of which: This is a cell from a Dell Venue 8 Pro that had swelled in in use. It still took and held a charge. After extracting it from the tablet (kind of a PITA), it was till at ~4.3V and we decided to try to see how spectacularly it would fail if we applied a dead short to it:

Guess what? All it did is swell some more. After a few minutes, I poked a knife through it:

That deflated it and let some magic smoke out, but there were no flames, and certainly nothing resembling an explosion.

I also took its sister cell and poked a knife through it without shorting it first. That one smoked a bit more:

Anyway, it baffles me how people actually get these things to explode.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.