Page 108 of 118 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1171

Thread: EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT GENERAL NEWS THREAD ANYTHING GOES!

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still drive an ALH & I believe my reasoning is, well it's easily justified.............

My concern is that "we" get locked out of the OBD or repair information & in spirit of it being proprietary and because now they claim it's ZEV.

I happen to agree with you Uwe, sure sounds like a control method to limit peoples overall mobility and break peoples free will to a degree, capping & trapping the class structure.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    VW close to buying large stake in Chinese battery company

https://www.ft.com/content/23713162-...3-9a26f8c3cba4

Volkswagen is close to buying a large stake in the Chinese battery company Guoxuan as it seeks to take more control over the supply chain for electric vehicles.The German carmaker, which already has a strategic partnership with China’s biggest battery company Contemporary Amperex Technology (CATL), is in advanced talks to buy up to a fifth of Guoxuan, according to a person briefed on the matter.A decision is expected within weeks. The talks were first reported by Reuters.The world’s largest carmaker is embarking on a €33bn electric vehicles offensive, but has struggled to secure the raw materials for the batteries it needs to achieve its aim of selling 3m electric cars by 2025, underlining the importance of its move to buy a stake in Guoxuan.If VW’s longer-term plan to produce 26m electric vehicles by 2029 is to be realised, the company would have to secure more batteries than the total currently produced worldwide. Last year Volvo Cars, a niche carmaker that produces 600,000 vehicles a year, struck a deal to buy batteries from LG Chem and CATL until 2028, an agreement it estimated required “more or less the same amount of batteries as the whole of the global supply” during 2018.While many carmakers have reached long-term deals to buy batteries from suppliers, VW’s pending deal is the first time that a traditional manufacturer has proposed taking a stake in a cell maker directly.Guoxuan, which is listed in Shanghai, is based in Hefei, a city where VW’s joint venture with JAC already builds battery electric vehicles. China, which is the world’s largest electric car market, has targets that require carmakers to meet quotas for “new energy vehicles” that do not pollute. Tesla has already begun producing cars in the country at a new Shanghai facility.A 20 per cent stake in Guoxuan would be worth about $560m, and make the German group the company’s second-largest shareholder after its founder, Li Zhen, who controls a quarter of its shares through a holding company.The insertion into the supply chain is the latest unconventional move from VW, which has sought to rebuild its reputation since the 2015 diesel scandal.RecommendedLexAutomobilesGerman industry: car alarm PremiumThis week VW’s chief executive Herbert Diess said “the time of classic car manufacturers is over” as he laid out a radical strategy that would see the car goliath, which sold almost 11m vehicles in 2019, develop its own software and remake its relationship with suppliers.Traditionally, carmakers develop a small number of key parts — such as engines — themselves, relying on a web of supply groups to provide more commoditised items from windshields to gearboxes.When making electric cars, most carmakers plan to build battery packs, the equivalent of an electric car’s engine, themselves, with the thousands of cells that make up the packs purchased from a third party group, such as LG Chem or CATL.VW declined to comment on the talks with Guoxuan.Unlike other German carmakers, VW has invested in its own battery cell facilities, joining up with Swedish company Northvolt to build a factory in Salzgitter.
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

3. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ Jack: Do you care to make a guess as to when we will no longer see the major car manufacturers producing petrol/diesel powered cars? Can't be that far into the future - I reckon

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    ^^^ Jack: Do you care to make a guess as to when we will no longer see the major car manufacturers producing petrol/diesel powered cars? Can't be that far into the future - I reckon
    I'm not Jack, but I would say that's at least ten years out, probably 20.

Roughly 90 million cars are produced each year world-wide. There is nowhere near the battery manufacturing capacity needed to make them all BEVs. Even if the battery factories were built, raw material production (cobalt, lithium, and so on) is an order of magnitude or more short of what would be needed. Then there's the rare earth metals needed for all those traction motors...

So what other alternatives exist? Hydrogen? There's no distribution or refueling infrastructure, and hydrogen distribution is notoriously difficult. Due to an H2 molecule's tiny size, hydrogen loves to leak away. It also has a nasty tendency to embrittle metals.

I'm confident these problems can be solved, but it won't happen overnight.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

6. Likes PetrolDave, DV52 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still wondering what will happen when an EV fire and major collision take place in "battery tunnel" oh and on a good cold rain day?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...1lYQcTzV0aKQZe

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the Future.....

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/i...pe-140394.html

Ionity: Charging a Nissan Leaf to Cost 50 Euros in Europe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Here is the Future.....

It was inevitable that charging an EV would have a price tag, .... there's no such thing as a free lunch

10. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm still wondering what will happen when an EV fire and major collision take place in "battery tunnel" oh and on a good cold rain day?
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...1lYQcTzV0aKQZe
    Probably about the same thing that would happen in a major collision involving a petroleum-fueled car that led to 20 or so gallons of gas or diesel catching fire.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here is the Future.....
    Wow! 0.79 EUR / kWh !?!?! What a deal that is -- for Ionity!

FWIW, my electricity bills here work out to about $0.15 / kWh.

-Uwe-

13. Likes Jack@European_Parts, PetrolDave liked this post
    VCDS Distributor
    Post Thanks / Like

15. Likes Uwe liked this post