EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT GENERAL NEWS THREAD ANYTHING GOES!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Huh? "Dodge Durango" and from what I saw in the video, it was an older one. So what does this have to do with hybrids or EVs? ;)

It was a question....... :rolleyes:
What would of the outcome been if inside a parking garage and at the charging stations of many EV's parked in an isolated area is the question?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
RTR3SK0J.jpeg

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/07/05/toyota-wiring-rats-lawsuit-dismissed/

Anyone want some "hot fire" sauce for soy based wiring harness licorice treats?

The future looks interesting for sure!

dafrazi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=173774
We had a discussion about soy based insulation at work last week. It was and might still be used in some outdoor, communication utility, cable jackets. Our crews have been replacing increasing numbers of services from squirrels finding the cable jacket delicious. Maybe the cable manufacturers should start putting hot pepper oils in the jacket like some new wood preservatives.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
We had a discussion about soy based insulation at work last week. It was and might still be used in some outdoor, communication utility, cable jackets. Our crews have been replacing increasing numbers of services from squirrels finding the cable jacket delicious. Maybe the cable manufacturers should start putting hot pepper oils in the jacket like some new wood preservatives.

Just doesn't make any sense to me why no metal screen is put over at least the pollen filter & so a door to the Rats of NIMH colony can't be commenced by eating through it, just Fuckin bizarre?

Nicodemus now lives in the squirrel cage of blower motor or is it his exercise wheel with gymnasium?

d5a399de391259838d820d526dc42e92.jpg

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
The 'Right to Repair' Movement Is Gaining Ground and Could Hit Manufacturers Hard
http://fortune.com/2019/01/09/right-...manufacturers/

In the EU and at least 18 U.S. states, regulators are starting to listen and considering proposals that address the impact of planned obsolescence by making household goods sturdier and easier to mend, reports the BBC.

About time but a tad late still.......

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
I've been making a conscious effort to buy goods I can repair. It's REALLY hard work to find anything!

Then there is the cost - people want cheap crap AND they want it repairable??? Good luck.

After our Toaster crapped out, I spent a bit of time researching what I wanted.

I eventually found the Dualit Toaster, which I could buy in NZ for NZ$ 699!!!!!

After buying it on Amazon UK and shipping it to NZ... I paid NZ$360! (US$250)

So while I've still spent double what a decent toaster costs, I have a toaster that I can buy all the parts for, and is DESIGNED to be repaired! Overall, I don't expect it to cost me less than replacing toasters every time they crap out, It means I don't have to dispose of the old one, and I can make a manly attempt at repairing it :D

Plus... LOOK AT IT! After I got it, one of the guys at work got one out of his storage, from 1993. It has one element burnt out, so I've been playing "NZToasterNurd" for a while :D, restoring it from this state:

Old and New:

50236814_10218181635870486_6169877695032197120_n.j  pg

Mine was hand assembled by Michael, in the UK (so far the electrics still work, and it hasn't leaked any oil!):

Sacha35

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=75264
Is this not how things used to be, unfortunately the world we live in now is one that is throw away and wasteful. I welcome this right to repair movement but at the same time the common sense some of our population have I am also very worried for there safety.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I've been making a conscious effort to buy goods I can repair. It's REALLY hard work to find anything!

Then there is the cost - people want cheap crap AND they want it repairable??? Good luck.

After our Toaster crapped out, I spent a bit of time researching what I wanted.

I eventually found the Dualit Toaster, which I could buy in NZ for NZ$ 699!!!!!

After buying it on Amazon UK and shipping it to NZ... I paid NZ$360! (US$250)

So while I've still spent double what a decent toaster costs, I have a toaster that I can buy all the parts for, and is DESIGNED to be repaired! Overall, I don't expect it to cost me less than replacing toasters every time they crap out, It means I don't have to dispose of the old one, and I can make a manly attempt at repairing it :D

Plus... LOOK AT IT! After I got it, one of the guys at work got one out of his storage, from 1993. It has one element burnt out, so I've been playing "NZToasterNurd" for a while :D, restoring it from this state:

Old and New:

I think with all the fraud out there as example an EEprom with a time clock to stop printing a page or for AECD's being manipulated by "whoever" such as tuners or OEM such as "diesel-gate" , sure makes me glad I can just go do mechanical and DVOM tests to prove a diagnostic path, and like the good old days!

Maybe I will make a necklace out of my PSI sensor for the DPF for my TDI & that sits in front of me as a constant reminder.

There is something to be said about a well designed super efficient all mechanical device & with minimal electronics & no matter how much copper you plan to save seems to be cheaper than any gold board or chipset.

Things are too complex & sometimes for no good reason and reality is more harmful to the environment by shear production or waste due to unneeded irreparable replacement and a dumb population ensues!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
https://nypost.com/2019/02/05/texas-man-killed-by-exploding-vape-pen/
Texas man killed by exploding vape pen
Still want to use this in your mouth or in your EV?
If he had died in a fire caused by careless smoking, this wouldn't have made the news outside the county he's in.

That said, there are some poorly though-out vape devices that can indeed turn into pipe bombs if the battery in 'em goes into thermal runaway. I bought one like that about five years ago and never felt comfortable using it, so it saw almost no use at all. The ones I do use, there's simply no way for them to develop any over-pressure at all, much less enough over-pressure to propel a piece of something fast enough to sever an artery. Yes, burns are still a possibility, but that's true for every device with a Li-ion battery in it.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I think everyone here would be devastated if we heard you got hurt this way.
I don't trust these batteries after some personal observations but I drilled holes in my flash lights to to relieve possible PSI gassing.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I think everyone here would be devastated if we heard you got hurt this way.
I don't trust these batteries after some personal observations but I drilled holes in my flash lights to to relieve possible PSI gassing.
Good move. The holes need to be up near the positive end of the battery, because that's where a round cell will vent if it does. Lots of the poorly though-out vapes have vents at the bottom, near the negative end, where the won't do any good at all if the cell swells, and an failing cell will do exactly that.

Speaking of which: This is a cell from a Dell Venue 8 Pro that had swelled in in use. It still took and held a charge. After extracting it from the tablet (kind of a PITA), it was till at ~4.3V and we decided to try to see how spectacularly it would fail if we applied a dead short to it:

agQV85r.jpg

Guess what? All it did is swell some more. After a few minutes, I poked a knife through it:

xyVA5kK.jpg

That deflated it and let some magic smoke out, but there were no flames, and certainly nothing resembling an explosion.

I also took its sister cell and poked a knife through it without shorting it first. That one smoked a bit more:

MbPzHBy.jpg

Anyway, it baffles me how people actually get these things to explode.

-Uwe-

Back