Thread: Lack of heat from dash panel 2001 TDI beetle standard trans

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Lack of heat from dash panel 2001 TDI beetle standard trans

Morning all, This is a project I acquired, and IMO does not need a Auto scan, could be wrong.

2001 TDI beetle. Lack of heat from dash or foot well. My first thought was Thermostat, so replace it (refilled with up lift tool) and these little guys are hard to warm up as stick shift with glow system.

That said when on the road partially covered radiator for testing I have 195 F, and OK heat, but not dynamic. Then I notice small chunks of foam rubber stuck in the vents. Did a little research and noted both lines into Heater core from fire wall are hot. So it is plugged or not able to transfer heat I.E. plugged by FOD, something stuck on face of core or someplace else, just my dumb opinion.

Read some threads and seems the foam rubber decays and gets displaced. My thinking is that it will be an RR just like leaking HC but looking for some easier fix but assume it will be partial or all removal of dash.

Larimore.

2. Likes Vasco Ferraz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Lock-down of sick people: Quarantine
    Lock-down of healthy people: Tyranny

4. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    UWE, good morning and thanks, sounds like what I'm dealing with, have a nice day.

Larimore.

Verified VCDS User Vasco Ferraz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Larry,

Before destroying the car make sure that you have no stepper motor damaged and the steppers are calibrated.

I am talking with no experience (just with the little experience of how the vents works on my Golf mk5).

What I mean is that even without any foam there is no change to get all the air leaking inside the dash before reaching the vents.

For example, the footwell vents are a very rigid plastic-plastic connection without any rubber or foam. And the air flows with no leaks just fine.
    Last edited by Vasco Ferraz; 02-25-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    Vasco Ferraz

7. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User Vasco Ferraz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Manton View Post
    Lack of heat from dash or foot well.
    Also, what do you mean by lack or heat:
    - No ventilation at all.
    - Getting cold air instead of hot air.
    Vasco Ferraz

9. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vasco,, I have heat but just not dynamic, leading to believe by you that a blend door is not opening fully, just don't know, but also degraded foam for sure, my guess several things making a perfect storm.

Regardless will have to remove some stuff to investigate. The up side is, this is not my car, and they will have to decide if they want too pursue it. Dirty oil, cracked windshield, some body damage, basically not very well taken care of, so I'm don't get too bully when fixing something nobody cares about, JMO.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Larrymore.....

You can take a vacuum hose and insert down the vents than blow compressed air in reverse direction from all angles.

Inspection can be done with a lit snake camera.........

Under the hood reverse hose connections for coolant & to back flush the core.

If car isn't making heat temp another reason could be efficiency has increased due to over advanced pump timing.

Running a 92 C T stat helps because it holds it in the block longer, but blocking radiator does assist.

Retarded timing = net more heat in combustion process in TDI as does a coolant restrictor orifice at the return to expansion tank.

An inline heater core T stat is also an option for TDI like in later cars.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

12. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Hello Larrymore.....

You can take a vacuum hose and insert down the vents than blow compressed air in reverse direction from all angles.

Inspection can be done with a lit snake camera.........

Under the hood reverse hose connections for coolant & to back flush the core.

If car isn't making heat temp another reason could be efficiency has increased due to over advanced pump timing.

Running a 92 C T stat helps because it holds it in the block longer, but blocking radiator does assist.

Retarded timing = net more heat in combustion process in TDI as does a coolant restrictor orifice at the return to expansion tank.

An inline heater core T stat is also an option for TDI like in later cars.
    Jack, I did think of the timing maybe off, just did not look At TDI timing, but may yet. NOt familiar with the restrictor but have seen something similar on a Dodge Caravan. Is this a VW purchase or an aftermarket device, or home made???

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Restrictor can be made easily dealer sells with hose so not cost effective.
    We used to take them out on early 068 eco-diesels because car would over heat on hills in hot climates and was a service action, tip or TSB.
    Extended T-stat can be bought at Jokeswagen from later 03L TDI.
    T-stat on AFT can be bought to raise the hold time in block.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........