Audi A3 2.0T FSI BPY Crank with no start.

vwtech

Verified Coal Cracker
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=7573
Does the inside of that adjuster look normal? 3rd pic.
Sure looks bad in the pic. Looks like teeth are gone?

Good Luck

botscoolnesss

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=66573
That mark in first picture is off........

The white mark was from a previous owner, i have it timed to the engraving on the gear from the factory and the OT Arrow on the block.

None the less that much of a difference wouldn't cause the engine to not start, would it? this is how I've had it timed since I did the job about 20K miles ago.

Does the inside of that adjuster look normal? 3rd pic.
Sure looks bad in the pic. Looks like teeth are gone?

Good Luck

As far as the cam adjuster, it looked okay, the grooves are from the plastic rings off the cam cover. Apparently that's normal for the rings to cause grooves like that from what ive read.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yeah Okay but did you check the key-way that is on cam to cam gear and did you check the key-way on adjuster behind the barrel to cam that shears?

Did you check for over PSI regulation from the oil pump?

botscoolnesss

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=66573
Yeah Okay but did you check the key-way that is on cam to cam gear and did you check the key-way on adjuster behind the barrel to cam that shears?

Did you check for over PSI regulation from the oil pump?

I can check those tomorrow i have to go deeper and remove the cam cover to see that,

as far as the PSI regulation, how would i check that?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
A gauge or by draining all oil and filter and starting car with no oil "briefly"!

If it starts with no oil in it than you know it's a hydro-lock and then know what to fix.

Did you put a factory G28 in?

Last edited:

botscoolnesss

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=66573
A gauge or by draining all oil and filter and starting car with no oil "briefly"!

If it starts with no oil in it than you know it's a hydro-lock and then know what to fix.

Did you put a factory G28 in?

Okay ill give that one a shot tomorrow, drain the oil and ill try that method.

I haven't but ill probably just put my factory g28 back in since it tested properly for resistance and i can return the autozone AFAIK.

botscoolnesss

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=66573
Well, I got a chance to take that top cam cover off, the key ways that you said to look for are all good.

Just got rained on so i couldn't do anything more, plus i need to buy that cam alignment tool lol

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Please xxplain how you verified the key-ways by mere VC removal and do you have pictures please?

botscoolnesss

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=66573
Please xxplain how you verified the key-ways by mere VC removal and do you have pictures please?

Not from valve cover removal, but by the actual camshaft metal cover.

Here's a picture, also I can rotate the oil adjuster just barely about 1mm without the Cam's turning, I assume this is normal I made a video nonetheless.

Also as you can see my timing chain tensioner popped up and the Cam's are completely out of time now so I'll have to reset the Cam's before I can even try to crank it again.

https://youtu.be/hrip0DuAt7g

IMG_20180314_134725.jpg

botscoolnesss

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=66573
What about the belt side key-way?

I couldn't get a clear pic due to the cover being in the way, but from what I saw it looked good. I'll probably have to get it all apart to re-do the timing maybe I can get a clear picture then.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yeah well I have news for you........

The gear and the adjuster must be completely disassembled in order to verify it didn't break where you can't see it.

Your inspection process is incomplete, but lets hope you get lucky anyway.

botscoolnesss

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=66573
Yeah well I have news for you........

The gear and the adjuster must be completely disassembled in order to verify it didn't break where you can't see it.

Your inspection process is incomplete, but lets hope you get lucky anyway.

Should've figured as much! Haha.

A while back I had the oil fill cap open and was watching the intake camshaft turn when cranking the motor, would that still even be possible if that keyway was broke?

Also if it was broke what would be the odds that the cams were still visually "in time" when i took the valve cover off?

I'm just so confused as to what could be wrong at this point. after re-assembling the cams etc, I might get a different compression tester and try again cause it sounds, to me at least, like a bent or bad valve. I don't get it. :banghead:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
A while back I had the oil fill cap open and was watching the intake camshaft turn when cranking the motor, would that still even be possible if that keyway was broke?

YUP!

Also if it was broke what would be the odds that the cams were still visually "in time" when i took the valve cover off?

That is the point they indeed can deceive you & that is why they must be inspected as I have described.

Let's just hope this isn't your issue but we must verify.

You must also check the key-way on the crank to the harmonic balancer and lower timing belt gear by removal or cross checked to the bell housing inspection area.

I'm just so confused as to what could be wrong at this point. after re-assembling the cams etc, I might get a different compression tester and try again cause it sounds, to me at least, like a bent or bad valve. I don't get it.
banghead.gif
progress.gif

When removing the cams to verify the adjuster and key-ways, the valves become all closed and a you can take a compression tester adapter and supply regulated air to each cylinder to measure seal resistance + for blow by.

Example of tester........

ATS2EM-KIT-2.jpg

Last edited:

botscoolnesss

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=66573
YUP!

That is the point they indeed can deceive you & that is why they must be inspected as I have described.

Let's just hope this isn't your issue but we must verify.

You must also check the key-way on the crank to the harmonic balancer and lower timing belt gear by removal or cross checked to the bell housing inspection area.

When removing the cams to verify the adjuster and key-ways, the valves become all closed and a you can take a compression tester adapter and supply regulated air to each cylinder to measure seal resistance + for blow by.

Example of tester........

I see, The only problem with doing a leak down test is that I don't have my air compressor with me, and the car is in my dorm parking lot on base. So what I can do is somewhat limited. It also doesn't help i live in the middle of nowhere, Mississippi.

Another thing that caught my attention that I was thinking about is I've heard its pretty common for the oil pickup in the oil pan to get clogged with metal etc, Especially after my cam follower / HPFP failure , a couple hundred miles ago, Do you think that could be causing my symptoms? I was going to drop the pan anyways as I'm sure it needs to be clean of metal particles.
I havent got any codes or Low pressure lights however...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I see, The only problem with doing a leak down test is that I don't have my air compressor with me, and the car is in my dorm parking lot on base. So what I can do is somewhat limited. It also doesn't help i live in the middle of nowhere, Mississippi.

Another thing that caught my attention that I was thinking about is I've heard its pretty common for the oil pickup in the oil pan to get clogged with metal etc, Especially after my cam follower / HPFP failure , a couple hundred miles ago, Do you think that could be causing my symptoms? I was going to drop the pan anyways as I'm sure it needs to be clean of metal particles.

DAM............!

OIL PUMP & SUMP DUMP TIME + REGULATION!

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

botscoolnesss

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=66573
DAM............!
OIL PUMP & SUMP DUMP TIME + REGULATION!

Wow! Very informative! Appreciate it, still probably wouldn't be a bad idea to clean up down there tho.

No one likes metal shavings get all caught up down there. :D

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Wow! Very informative! Appreciate it, still probably wouldn't be a bad idea to clean up down there tho.

No one likes metal shavings get all caught up down there. :D

Holy shit ........You don't say...........>

botscoolnesss

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=66573
Haven't had a whole lot of time between work and the shitty weather every weekend, I did get some parts and tools and got the cam adjuster off. Found this on the keyway.

IMG_20180331_112407.jpg

Larry Manton

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112505
Haven't had a whole lot of time between work and the shitty weather every weekend, I did get some parts and tools and got the cam adjuster off. Found this on the keyway.

Blame it on Jack, he has big shoulders, but I would duck while reading his response, all good, now you have a direction.

Larimore.

Back