01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179) 010 - Open or Short

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
It seems to me OP that you are not testing the harness correctly or have addressed the black tape FOD enough?

You need to verify the wiring can carry current and not just voltage to components.

Disconnect all sensors & module and tone plus load test each track.......I mean authenticate every one of them.

Fix all or replace the harness & needed parts as per the RTFB.

Only install parts that belong with the proper part number & index, further based on VIN number and PR codes.

Don't fuck around with this safety stuff!

NostraJackASS Has set you to Ignore a second time going forward & for doing stupid nefarious cheapo shit that could or does hurt others! :banghead:

Geoffzie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=309752
Uwe, I understand your position ... and I would LOVE to be able to buy new airbag components ... but the dealer wants $585 for a new control module! I simply cannot afford that ... I'm retired on SSI and that's almost half my monthly paycheck!

Guys, it's not like I'm being "cheap" to save the money ... so I can go to the Bahama's!

I didn't screw this car up ... but I am really trying my best to get a properly working airbag system, with no faults on this car ... but my funds are limited.

I agree Jack, I believe the faults are probably in the wiring itself ... and after finding the taped-up wires under the driver's seat ... I need to check the ENTIRE airbag wiring harness for other "modifications".

Then I can go from there.

Reactions: Uwe

Geoffzie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=309752
Figured out the electrical tape under the driver's seat ... must have been done by the dealer. Under the tape there were butt-connectors installed to apparently replace a bad electrical connector under TSB 6908-02. Although the electrical tape looked suspect ... the butt-connector replacement job looked well done.

I even checked wire colors at Pull-a-Part on another Jetta ... to make sure they connected the correct colors ... they did.

Here's a post on the TDIClub Forum for Mk5 Jettas ...

Fixed my airbag light on Saturday night...performed the procedures in TSB 6908-02. Fairly simple to follow, just involves eliminating a plug and connecting the wires through butt connectors, or in my case we soldered the wires together. Took about 45 minutes to remove seat and perform the fix. Code 199 is the drivers side, 200 is the passenger side as outlined in the TSB.

So ... that's not my problem.

Geoffzie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=309752
Jack, I really haven't had time to get into this in depth yet ... I just briefly visually scanned last week for areas under the seats and under the dash where the wiring had been obviously tampered with. That's when I found the taped wiring under the driver's seat, and the cut wires at the Airbag Module plug.

By the way, I had watched those videos before and downloaded the PDF when I first got my Bentley Manual ...

I also noticed that my Bentley for Volkswagen Jetta A5 is missing a few pages for the "Jetta BGQ 2.5L Engine Management - From May 2005". Starting on Page EWD - 40, the pages for Fuel Injectors, Throttle / Accelerator Pedal, Coils, Fuel Pump / Relays / Gauge, Upstream O2 Sensor, and other things ... is missing ... but then you probably already knew that.

I had to use the diagrams for the BGP 2.5L engine.

I've been trying to get the "Passetta" ready to go to the dealership for the 12-year-rust-through warranty work ... I'm getting close.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Jack, I really haven't had time to get into this in depth yet ... I just briefly visually scanned last week for areas under the seats and under the dash where the wiring had been obviously tampered with. That's when I found the taped wiring under the driver's seat, and the cut wires at the Airbag Module plug.

By the way, I had watched those videos before and downloaded the PDF when I first got my Bentley Manual ...

I also noticed that my Bentley for Volkswagen Jetta A5 is missing a few pages for the "Jetta BGQ 2.5L Engine Management - From May 2005". Starting on Page EWD - 40, the pages for Fuel Injectors, Throttle / Accelerator Pedal, Coils, Fuel Pump / Relays / Gauge, Upstream O2 Sensor, and other things ... is missing ... but then you probably already knew that.

I had to use the diagrams for the BGP 2.5L engine.

I've been trying to get the "Passetta" ready to go to the dealership for the 12-year-rust-through warranty work ... I'm getting close.

Are you sure this is the case?

Isn't there a split of production showing all the BGQ WD from 2004/11> and then 2006/6 >?

Maybe that is why you keep messing up?

Doesn't air bag section WD show up to 5 different dates, country area or type and productions in WD?

Geoffzie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=309752
Jack, for the Jetta 2.5L engine management, my Bentley lists these diagrams ...

- Engine Management 2.5L engine code BGP (from May 2005) - EWD-51
- Engine Management 2.5L engine code BGP (from July 2006) - EWD-369
- Engine Management 2.5L engine code BGQ (from May 2005) - EWD-40 <----------------> (This is the one that's incomplete)
- Engine Management 2.5L engine code BGQ (from July 2006) - EWD-358
- Engine Management 2.5L engine code CBTA, CBUA (from July 2007) - EWD-294
- Engine Management 2.5L engine code CBTA, CBUA (from Dec. 2008) - EWD-390

With the exception of EWD-40 above (BGQ 2.5L - from May 2005) ... all the rest are COMPLETE Engine Management wiring diagrams. And I've only found the omissions with the BGQ 2.5L Engine Management diagrams beginning on page EWD-40 ... nothing else.

I haven't found any omissions for the rest of the Bentley diagrams, including the Airbag System diagrams ... they seem to be complete. Bentley has them for US and Canadian vehicles ... here's USA (EXCEPT the SportWagen and BPY 2.0t) ...

- Airbag System EWD-162 (from Nov. 2004)
- Airbag System EWD-166 (from May 2005)
- Airbag System EWD-190 (from July 2006)
- Airbag System EWD-305 (from July 2008)

And I was incorrect when I said I used the BGP diagrams for my engine ... I used the BGQ diagrams from July 2006 on page EWD-358 for my 2005 Jetta (and only where items were missing from EWD-40).

If you have the Bentley Service Manual for A5 Jetta from 2005-2010 ... check it out.

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
No sir mine is complete ...... :rolleyes:

RB and ERWIN............green lite!

I am not just questioning years on air-bag but also types observed?

Geoffzie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=309752
Bentley shows 19 different wiring diagrams for Airbag System for MK5 Jetta 2005 - 2010 USA and Canada.

Only the Canadian diagrams show the options of "Front Only without Head airbag", "Front and Rear with head airbag", etc ... the USA diagrams show no such distinctions. I assume that's what you mean by "type"?

Bentley airbag diagrams list no "type" other than that.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Well don't you think you better read them all and figure out which one is correct?

Geoffzie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=309752
I've already determined which Airbag diagram matches my car ... pg. EWD-162 (from Nov. 2004) ... the next diagram is EWD-166 (from May 2005). The build date on my car is 04.04.2005.

Although the Airbag Control Module plug pin-outs are identical for both EWD-162 and EWD-166 ... which would include cars built up to the next wiring change EWD-190 (May 2006).

One other thing I noticed is that the quick-release plug latch on the airbag module is completely gone on my car ... don't know what they did to it. So the plug is just pressed into the airbag module ... possibly not making complete contact? That's something else I'll have to check when I get back into it. I probably should graft on a new plug anyways ... since they kind of butchered up the wires, and didn't shrink-wrap them when they did their "modifications".

Geoffzie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=309752
Is it tied into the main dash harness ... or is it a separate harness?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
What does it matter I reckon you will only get one from the pick and pull anyway?

Geoffzie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=309752
I probably would Jack ... I sure can't afford a new one!

I briefly looked online (just to get a part number) at http://www.realoem.me/Volkswagen/RDW and didn't see an "Airbag Wiring Harness" listed individually.

Since I connected the driver's door crash sensor DIRECTLY to the Airbag Control Module plug (and bypassed the entire harness) ... and it STILL didn't work, I'm thinking it may be a fault with the plug itself or the pins / contacts withing the plug. They obviously had it off quite a few times.

The crash sensor fault is the only airbag fault I'm getting ... that tells me that the wiring going to the other airbag components is good.

Hopefully I'll get into it next week.

Address 15: Airbags Labels: 1K0-909-605.lbl
Part No SW: 1K0 909 605 E HW: 1K0 909 605 E
Component: 1S AIRBAG VW8R 024 6300
Revision: 03024000 Serial number: 0037KD011YYR
Coding: 0012627
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: 2E0606BBAC12E1D7D04-807A

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 1K0 959 339 B
Component: BF-Gewichtsens. 006 0003

Subsystem 2 - Serial number: 633 SME

Subsystem 3 - Serial number: 6342MSME08474E5AO

Subsystem 4 - Serial number: 6351HSME05714A40+

Subsystem 5 - Serial number: 6361HSME060944191

Subsystem 6 - Serial number: 63727SME05394844/

Subsystem 7 - Serial number: 63827SME054A5338%

1 Fault Found:
01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179)
010 - Open or Short to Plus - MIL ON

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Have you toned out the pins end to end to harness plug & at module, did you check all fuses, further did you sand the connectors with a fiberglass pen then install Stable contact enhancement 22A?

Have you observed resistance readings in controller diagnostics and compared to meter and sensor?

EXAMPLE:

Have you compared resistance values to right crash sensor at module with left?

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

Geoffzie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=309752
did you check all fuses

Yes, see my earlier post ... i pulled virtually ALL the fuses and checked them.

Have you compared resistance values to right crash sensor at module with left?

Good idea Jack! I was going to plug the driver's sensor into the passenger's harness ... just to see if it was good. But I like your idea better ... I don't have to take the passenger's door skin off! If I check the complete sensor circuit at the module plug ... I should get about the same resistance for both drivers / passengers side.

I know the driver's door harness is good, I replaced that ... so the wires and plug / socket at the door jamb are good, and everything on the door works consistently (fuel pump, interior lights, windows, door locks, trunk, and gas release). But I will check continuity again ... since I just purchased a new Multi-meter (my old one was probably 30 years old!).

did you sand the connectors with a fiberglass pen then install Stable contact enhancement 22A?

I haven't yet ... although the plug looked good, with no corrosion ... I didn't realize it might be a connection problem when I had it apart. I've got some Deoxit that I've used before that seems to work good.

If all of the above fails to resolve the crash sensor short ... I'll check the remaining Airbag Module wires.

Geoffzie

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=309752
Door harness is new (I mentioned this previously) from eBay, supposed to be genuine VW (part # 1K5971120H) ... new in box ... $108.95. After reading of all the problems people were having with early MK5 Jetta driver's door harnesses ... I decided to buy new rather than used.

It fixed my other problems with door locks / interior lights / fuel pump ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-Jetta-05-06-Front-Driver-Left-Door-Wiring-Harness-Genuine-1K5971120H/351981836306?fits=Model%3AJetta&epid=1517902138&hash=item51f3c09812:g:AAcAAOSwlMFZEwH5&vxp=mtr

Back