Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179) 010 - Open or Short

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've already determined which Airbag diagram matches my car ... pg. EWD-162 (from Nov. 2004) ... the next diagram is EWD-166 (from May 2005). The build date on my car is 04.04.2005.

Although the Airbag Control Module plug pin-outs are identical for both EWD-162 and EWD-166 ... which would include cars built up to the next wiring change EWD-190 (May 2006).

One other thing I noticed is that the quick-release plug latch on the airbag module is completely gone on my car ... don't know what they did to it. So the plug is just pressed into the airbag module ... possibly not making complete contact? That's something else I'll have to check when I get back into it. I probably should graft on a new plug anyways ... since they kind of butchered up the wires, and didn't shrink-wrap them when they did their "modifications".

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't you think you should change the air bag harness no?
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is it tied into the main dash harness ... or is it a separate harness?

Post Thanks / Like
    What does it matter I reckon you will only get one from the pick and pull anyway?
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I probably would Jack ... I sure can't afford a new one!

I briefly looked online (just to get a part number) at http://www.realoem.me/Volkswagen/RDW and didn't see an "Airbag Wiring Harness" listed individually.

Since I connected the driver's door crash sensor DIRECTLY to the Airbag Control Module plug (and bypassed the entire harness) ... and it STILL didn't work, I'm thinking it may be a fault with the plug itself or the pins / contacts withing the plug. They obviously had it off quite a few times.

The crash sensor fault is the only airbag fault I'm getting ... that tells me that the wiring going to the other airbag components is good.

Hopefully I'll get into it next week.

Address 15: Airbags Labels: 1K0-909-605.lbl
    Part No SW: 1K0 909 605 E HW: 1K0 909 605 E
    Component: 1S AIRBAG VW8R 024 6300
    Revision: 03024000 Serial number: 0037KD011YYR
    Coding: 0012627
    Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
    VCID: 2E0606BBAC12E1D7D04-807A

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 1K0 959 339 B
    Component: BF-Gewichtsens. 006 0003

Subsystem 2 - Serial number: 633 SME

Subsystem 3 - Serial number: 6342MSME08474E5AO

Subsystem 4 - Serial number: 6351HSME05714A40+

Subsystem 5 - Serial number: 6361HSME060944191

Subsystem 6 - Serial number: 63727SME05394844/

Subsystem 7 - Serial number: 63827SME054A5338%

1 Fault Found:
    01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179)
    010 - Open or Short to Plus - MIL ON

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you toned out the pins end to end to harness plug & at module, did you check all fuses, further did you sand the connectors with a fiberglass pen then install Stable contact enhancement 22A?

Have you observed resistance readings in controller diagnostics and compared to meter and sensor?

EXAMPLE:

Have you compared resistance values to right crash sensor at module with left?

Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 03-10-2018 at 06:55 PM.

7. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    did you check all fuses
    Yes, see my earlier post ... i pulled virtually ALL the fuses and checked them.

Have you compared resistance values to right crash sensor at module with left?
    Good idea Jack! I was going to plug the driver's sensor into the passenger's harness ... just to see if it was good. But I like your idea better ... I don't have to take the passenger's door skin off! If I check the complete sensor circuit at the module plug ... I should get about the same resistance for both drivers / passengers side.

I know the driver's door harness is good, I replaced that ... so the wires and plug / socket at the door jamb are good, and everything on the door works consistently (fuel pump, interior lights, windows, door locks, trunk, and gas release). But I will check continuity again ... since I just purchased a new Multi-meter (my old one was probably 30 years old!).

did you sand the connectors with a fiberglass pen then install Stable contact enhancement 22A?
    I haven't yet ... although the plug looked good, with no corrosion ... I didn't realize it might be a connection problem when I had it apart. I've got some Deoxit that I've used before that seems to work good.

If all of the above fails to resolve the crash sensor short ... I'll check the remaining Airbag Module wires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the door harness new or used you changed?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Door harness is new (I mentioned this previously) from eBay, supposed to be genuine VW (part # 1K5971120H) ... new in box ... $108.95. After reading of all the problems people were having with early MK5 Jetta driver's door harnesses ... I decided to buy new rather than used.

It fixed my other problems with door locks / interior lights / fuel pump ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-...FZEwH5&vxp=mtr

Post Thanks / Like
    I know you wrote it just wanted clarity..........