Page 6 of 97 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on weaponry

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    They were just about out of .22LR. I think I may have shot their last 50. I guess there are still some supply/demand issues? Anyway, I'll have to hunt around. Any recommendations?
    Interesting - was trying to find a link for the pail o' .22's and saw this:

See also: http://ammoseek.com/

2012 A8L 4.2 Oolong/Titanium. Premium, LED, Driver assist, Rear seat comfort, Dual pane, Alcantara, Panorama

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, congrats Jason! Keep an eye on gunbot for .22LR deals. Stay logged in at midwayusa and be ready to pounce when you see a deal. Your local gun shop may keep limited quantities behind the counter for reasonable prices so it doesn't hurt to ask. Remember that after you reinstall the barrel pull back the bolt and let it slap against the barrel several times before loading and firing it. Supposedly that makes sure everything is mated correctly. Post or PM with any questions.

3. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's your favorite ammo for target practice with the 10/22?

I'd experiment a bit on my own, but .22LR seems to be unobtainable locally unless you stalk the delivery trucks. It's easy enough to get online, but shipping charges will eat me up for small random orders. I'd rather just order a case of something known good. What do you think of Federal Auto Match Target?

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds a little overkill, and bare lead. Federal Champion and Winchester Super X (both 36gr CPHP) work well for me in the SR22. There's the tried and true CCI Mini mag as well. My advice, go with something copper plated (you're going to be loading a lot in your mags, meaning at lot of lead on your fingertips if you don't go copper plated), and avoid Rem golden bullet that puts yellow "plating" flakes everywhere including the insides of your gun.

6. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jason NEEDS this link:
    http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/

-Uwe-

8. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jeez, those prices make me sick to my stomach. Pre-panic I got the Fed Champion 525 and Win Super X 525 for 3.xx cents a round. Minimags have always been a little more expensive. Just trying to say, don't pay .223 prices for 22LR
    When you're ready to shoot at the pests, go with CCI Velocitors or Stingers, if you can find them.

10. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    I have it, from Andy or someone back in this thread. That's where I found the above deal. I realize the term "deal" is relative here in 2014.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, .22 lr is still cheaper to shoot than any center-fire ammo, but the difference used to be much greater before the panic two years ago..

-Uwe-

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Sounds a little overkill, and bare lead. Federal Champion and Winchester Super X (both 36gr CPHP) work well for me in the SR22. There's the tried and true CCI Mini mag as well. My advice, go with something copper plated (you're going to be loading a lot in your mags, meaning at lot of lead on your fingertips if you don't go copper plated), and avoid Rem golden bullet that puts yellow "plating" flakes everywhere including the insides of your gun.
    This is why I consult experts!

Got myself some Federal Champion copper-plated ammo on the way. Also ordered two BX-25 magazines, and a Volquartsen automatic bolt release because I see what you mean about the ergonomics. Having self-administered a clue-by-four about why I was shooting high at a distance (rental was likely sighted for 50-75 yrds), I'm excited to get back into it.

Next question: recommended cleaning stuff? The Ruger manuals are agnostic as to specific tools and chemicals.

Jason

14. Likes Eric liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think everyone at RT does it different I like Hoppe's with cotton patches and a fiberglass rod (off label-use for a HF wire running kit after a contractor borrowed it and snapped an end off), followed by CLP. Once in a blue moon I'll run a nylon brush down the bore, but not every time. One thing that we all agree about, only go in the direction of the bullet down the bore, never back and forth.

16. Likes jyoung8607, jakematic liked this post