Advice on weaponry

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
A guy walked into a crowded bar, waving his un-holstered pistol and yelled, "I have a Ruger 9mm with a ten shot magazine and I want to know who's been sleeping with my wife."

A voice from the back of the room called out, "You need more ammo".

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
I can already see one annoying thing about these designs (not that the entire concept of the silly laws isn't annoying enough). I have tried several times to tilt the upper forward while the bolt is locked back ... which obviously doesn't work since the BCG is half buried in the stock at the time. So you deplete a mag and the bolt locks open, but you need to close it before cracking open the action to do a mag change.

Reactions: Uwe

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
There are also several vocal opponents to everything to do with fixed magazines, saying that they are dangerous when clearing a double-feed jam because the gun was originally designed with removable magazines for these occasions. As a minimum, they insist on a removable floor plate on the magazine, so that it can be unloaded in the event of a double-feed jam.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
hysL2tQ.jpg

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
G20, 10mm 180gr, 10 shots 25yd free hand, 4x fired freshly annealed brass. I ultrasound cleaned the gun last week-end, maybe I should do that more often :D

p5yLiPN.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
You have an ultrasonic cleaner big enough for a pistol? What are you using in it for solvent? I have some P7s that could stand to get that treatment! :D

PS: I thought Glocks don't need to be cleaned? :confused:

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
You have an ultrasonic cleaner big enough for a pistol?
Yup... no problem for a G20, a G40 might be pushing it though.
What are you using in it for solvent?
20% MPro7, 80% distilled water for an hour. Then blow dry, and immediately Lyman TurboSonic Lube for another hour, otherwise it's insta-rust.

I have some P7s that could stand to get that treatment! :D
Will be glad to try on your cheapest one first, with the understanding that I'm not responsible if it comes out rainbow colored or pink ;)

PS: I thought Glocks don't need to be cleaned? :confused:
I think I ran close to a thousand rounds this time. With a match barrel, that's pushing it...

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
I hate posting after Eric. :p

I tried shooting these targets at 25 yards with my slung 10/22 and didn't do too horribly:

9VzZwT1.jpg

I had a helluva time even seeing the three smallest targets though. I should try with actual corrective eyeglasses next time.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Will be glad to try on your cheapest one first, with the understanding that I'm not responsible if it comes out rainbow colored or pink ;)
There's no such thing as a cheap P7 anymore -- check Gunbroker. But no worries about the color. Worst case, I'd get it hard-chromed or NP3'd...

-Uwe-

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Maybe it would come out like this:
Sig-Sauer-P239-Rainbow-Titanium.jpg

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Ha, there's tape over the fiber optic illumination tube. I bet it's too bright in direct sunlight.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
We now have a Lee "Bulge Buster" set up for 10mm and .45 ACP. This is basically a push-through carbide die that removes any unsightly love handles from brass that has been around the block a few times:

JgbPDhp.jpg

I bulge busted most of the Winchester .45 ACP:

Cs1tHdG.jpg

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
From tomorrow's edition of our local newspaper.....

http://www.recordonline.com/news/20160711/requests-soaring-this-year-for-handgun-permits-in-region

Requests soaring this year for handgun permits in region

More than 4,800 people in Orange, Ulster and Sullivan counties sought handgun permits in the first six months of this year, a demand surge that more than doubles last year's application pace and follows a string of mass shootings in the U.S. that may have helped fuel the local trend.

Requests for handgun permits in all three counties through June 30 already had far surpassed the total applications for all of 2015.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office had taken the fingerprints of 1,630 prospective handgun owners as of that date, or 240 more applicants than it fingerprinted last year.

The county is on track this year to surpass its previous application peak of 2,615 in 2013, when demand soared after the state enacted the SAFE Act to tighten gun restrictions in response to the school massacre in Newtown, Conn.

Ulster and Sullivan have seen even sharper spikes than Orange.

The 718 gun permits sought so far in Ulster is 60 percent higher than the full-year total for 2015; Sullivan's 460 applications are about 30 percent over last year's tally.

The figures for all three counties reflect people who are seeking to become handgun owners for the first time, not existing owners adding new guns to their collections.
The sheriff's departments that review the handgun requests and gun-rights advocates attribute the leap in gun demand to two related factors.

One is the spate of heavily publicized gun attacks like those that occurred at an Orlando nightclub in June and a San Bernardino, Calif., office in December, which they say has made people fearful and anxious to protect themselves.

The other is the renewed calls for gun control after those killings - a push they say inspires people to get guns before new regulations prevent them from doing so or make it harder.

"Since Orlando, we have been overwhelmed," Orange County Undersheriff Ken Jones said. "Every time there's an event, we see a significant increase in submissions."

The jump in local application numbers preceded the latest violent spasm that has dominated the news: the shooting of 12 police officers and two civilians by a lone gunman during a demonstration in Dallas on Thursday night.

The protest was itself a reaction to police officers fatally shooting two black men in back-to-back incidents in Minnesota and Louisiana, a sequence of events that sharpened the nation's anguished debate over race and policing but also featured gun violence as a shared element.

Motivation for buying guns

John McGovern, chief civil officer for the Ulster County Sheriff's Office, argued that 24-hour cable news coverage of mass shootings has heightened viewers' anxiety, making them feel vulnerable to similar attacks.

He said people seeking gun permits lately are concerned not only about their own safety but about protecting people around them in the event of an attack.

"I think people are waking up to the fact that criminals have guns, and are always going to have guns," McGovern said.

A 51-year-old Montgomery man :rolleyes: who recently got a handgun permit - and whose wife got one, too - told the Times Herald-Record that hearing gunfire at noon near his workplace in the City of Newburgh last year inspired him to get a gun, even though he's not allowed to bring it to work.

But he had other reasons as well: fears of bear encounters at home, and fears that Democrats will impose further gun restrictions.

"The biggest motivator to me at the time was the political climate being favorable for possibly the last time in my lifetime," he explained by email.

That new gun owner - who asked that his name be withheld for fear that his home would be burglarized - said the recent mass shootings played no part in his decision.

Similarly, a group of permit applicants recently waiting to be fingerprinted at the Orange County Sheriff's Office also dismissed those high-profile incidents as a factor, complicating somewhat the conventional explanations for increased gun demand.

Though none of the seven permit seekers approached by a reporter in Goshen was willing to discuss their reasons in any detail or be identified, one woman said that her husband had guns and that she wanted to be able to handle a gun if something happened to them. Another simply said: "It's something I always meant to do."

George Rogero, a gun-safety instructor from Blooming Grove who has operated the gun advocacy web site OCShooters.com for about 15 years, calls himself a "Clinton convert": someone transformed into a gun rights' champion by the passage of the federal assault-rifle ban under President Bill Clinton in 1994.

He contends that new gun restrictions and demands for them have the paradoxical effect of inspiring people to get guns, before new regulations erode their ability to do so.
Today, he said, there are fresh ranks of "Obama converts."

"When the politicians come in and say, 'We're going to come in and take your guns,' more people say, 'No, you're not,' " said Rogero, who argues that the growing popularity of sport shooting also has contributed to the trend.

Long processing times

One effect of the increase permit demand has been longer wait times.

In Ulster County, it now takes as long as 10 months to complete the multi-stage process, which culminates in a judge's review.

In Orange County, even with the Sheriff's Office processing applications seven days a week, the backup is so severe that applicants calling today to get fingerprinted won't get an appointment until October.

The leap in permit applications dovetails with recent statistics from the FBI, indicating that 26.5 million background checks for firearm purchases were done in the U.S. during the last 12 months - a nearly 30 percent increase over the total for the preceding 12 months.

Leah Gunn Barrett, executive director of New Yorkers Against Gun Violence, agrees with gun rights' advocates that fear is increasing gun sales but calls that an unfortunate trend, one that she said is driven by a myth that owning a gun makes you safer.

She argues that the increased risk of accidental shootings, suicides, homicides and break-ins that come with gun ownership has the opposite effect.
"This is a myth that the NRA has been pushing to get gun sales up," Gunn Barrett said.

cmckenna@th-record.com

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Some of that story sounds familiar. ;)

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Some of that story sounds familiar. ;)

I'm sure that it's just coincidence. ;) Seriously though, I thought that the article came out pretty good considering the graboid political atmosphere.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
My wife's permission letter from the king arrived today. She should have the permit and SR-22 in hand by the weekend!

If there is going to be a RT range outing in PA this year, the last hurdle on my end has finally been cleared. Jason?????

In case Jason missed this while I ASSume he was away in Jamaica, mon.

Her permit was also unrestricted. I'm 2 for 2 in the "why do you want unrestricted" letter department. Still need to go to Scranton for non-resident PA permits as insurance one of these days, since NY doesn't have reciprocity with many states that PA does...Murderland notwithstanding.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Woo hoo!!! My latest purchase just arrived at my doorstep:

41Liy7Ft3IL._SX425_.jpg

Seems like it took forever to get here, having to travel by ground thanks to silly shipping laws.....

Back