Page 77 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on weaponry

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    what an idiot, over 4 boxes of ammo.

The rest of it looks like fishing expedition.

2. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    From the "anything can be a weapon" school:
    Starbucks Customer Fighting Off Masked Robber With Chair Caught On Tape.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

4. Likes D-Dub liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    In californistan I'm surprised the customer didn't get arrested for brandishing a weapon, and sued by the robber for pain and suffering.

6. Likes Uwe, vreihen, Da Tow'd liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was it a tacticool black chair? Those are the most deadly. You can actually whack someone repeatedly without reloading.

8. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaps10 View Post
    Was it a tacticool black chair?
    Oh come on, desert tan surpassed basic black for "tacticool" factor a decade and a half ago.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

10. Likes vreihen, Flaps10 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/eme...arei-shooting/
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11895435

Three shot, two women dead, house on fire in Whangarei shooting:

Image taken from MY road! I can see the hills it's on from my dining room - maybe a mile and a half away!

This is where my 5 and 7 year old stopped on the school bus, and watched the helicopter land (They were stoked! )

UPDATED 5.20pm Two women had gone to a home to carry out a property inspection when they were shot and killed near Whangarei, police have revealed.

Police are addressing media after the women - who were related - were shot at a rural Northland address.

A man was also shot.

Tear gas was used and shots were fired between the alleged offender and police.

They believe the man is still at the house but it is unclear if he is alive.

Police said the incident was not gang related.

About 11am, police and the Armed Offenders Squad were called and cordoned off the area, on Mt Tiger Rd about 10km from Whangarei.

Two people were feared dead and a man was in a stable condition in Whangarei Hospital with moderate injuries.

This afternoon, the house was on fire. Witnesses described seeing big plumes of black smoke.
    I haven't heard who the two Women are yet, but I really feel for their familes - 2 of them, gone at the hands of someone who clearly had some issues.

We had some critical equippment out of action at the Hospital, and a lot of us made a lot of effort to get it ready for these victims, but only 1 of the 3 ever made it that far

Police now believe the offender is "unlikely" to have survived the standoff with police and the house fire.

I'd quite like confirmation he is "immobilised"/caught before bedtime!

Post Thanks / Like
    This article actually slipped past the editors of that failing newspaper New York Times.....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/24/o...to-school.html

Why I Bring My Gun to School

Antonia Okafor
    ON CAMPUS
    JULY 24, 2017

It was my first year as a public policy graduate student at the University of Texas, Dallas, and I was taking all my classes at night so I could work during the day. Every evening, after class got out around 10, I had to walk through the sprawling parking lots to get to my car. I dreaded that time of day. I would pray that no one was lurking in dimly lit areas or behind cars, and I’d try not to think about the campus police alerts I’d seen about sexual assaults in the area.

I had survived such an assault myself when I was a child. The incident left me acutely aware of the realities of being preyed upon just because you are physically smaller and less likely to protect yourself. I know what it means to feel defenseless.

Now my only means of protection was a rape whistle. I would hold it in one hand and my phone in the other, the numbers 9-1-1 pre-dialed and my finger on the call button. As I neared my car, I would start to jog. It scared me to think that even if I dialed the number and blew the whistle, by the time anyone got to the scene it might be too late. When I got to my car, I’d get in, lock the doors and look behind me to make sure no one was in the back seat.

This was in 2015, around the time the Texas Legislature began debating, and ultimately passing, a so-called campus carry bill. I grew up in a Democratic, immigrant household in a suburb outside of Dallas, where guns and gun policy were never discussed, so I hadn’t paid much attention when similar bills failed in 2011 and 2013. But that year something changed. I was 25 years old, commuting alone, and as a minority woman, I felt particularly vulnerable.

I started fighting for students’ rights to carry concealed weapons for selfish reasons: I wanted to be able to protect myself. But I quickly found a network of women who felt the same way I did, and we began to advocate for our safety together. I eventually became the Southwest director of Students for Concealed Carry, and am now the founder of the self-defense nonprofit Empowered, which will open its first chapter this fall, at the University of North Texas. (I have also appeared in ads for the National Rifle Association, but I am not employed by the organization.)

When I started advocating for concealed carry on campus, I was not a “gun enthusiast” or a member of any Second Amendment organizations. I had only recently been taught to shoot by a concerned local firearms instructor who had heard about a scare I had with a cyberstalker.

But from the minute I put my hands around a Ruger LC9 pistol, the gun I regularly carry with me now, I felt more in control. I felt empowered to be holding a tool that could protect me physically, and I was determined to learn how to use it responsibly. It was a relief to know that I could shoot if I had to, even though I would never use my gun unless it was a last means of self-defense. I got my concealed carry license a year ago.

In addition to Texas, Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Mississippi, Oregon, Utah and Wisconsin all now allow students with concealed carry permits to carry guns inside the buildings of college campuses. I have learned that there are a lot of misconceptions about these bills. In Texas, only concealed handgun license holders who are 21 years old or older can carry firearms on campus. The rule applies only to public schools, and those schools can also set aside gun-free zones in whatever locations they choose.

Still, I regularly encounter liberals who fear irresponsible gun use and think that college kids (even if they are 21) can’t be trusted with firearms. I understand that fear is a powerful motivator on both sides of this issue. But I fiercely resent being told that I can’t protect myself according to my rights as an American.

The Justice Department estimates that one in five women are assaulted during college. This number does not surprise me, although plenty of my fellow conservatives take issue with it. I have met so many women through my gun advocacy who felt helpless in the face of sexual assault before they carried a weapon — they felt that no one would listen to them, that they didn’t have any options. It is a huge failing of the conservative movement not to take this seriously. Even if the one out of five statistic is imprecise, isn’t one assaulted woman bad enough?

Female gun ownership isn’t a matter of political affiliation. I’ve met women across the political spectrum who own guns for self-defense or for shooting recreationally. In particular, black women have become a lot more interested in gun ownership and shooting classes.

The rights and values of gun-owning women aren’t being addressed by either political party. While conservatives aren’t paying enough attention to sexual assault, liberals are actively hurting women’s access to self-defense. Many liberals — including many female professors my organization approached as potential sponsors for Empowered — don’t support a woman’s “right to choose” when it comes to her own self-defense. They can’t get behind a vision of female empowerment that doesn’t match their own.

Contrary to popular belief, there is a place for young, pro-Second Amendment women in modern feminism. And there is a place for them on college campuses.

Correction: July 25, 2017
    An earlier version of this article misstated an aspect of Texas law allowing people to carry a gun on public college campuses. People who have obtained their gun licenses from certain other states do not have to undergo training with a Texas-certified instructor to carry a firearm on campus. It is not the case that anyone who does so must get training in Texas.

Antonia Okafor is a graduate student at the University of Texas, Dallas.

13. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    This article actually slipped past the editors of that failing newspaper New York Times.....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/24/o...to-school.html

15. Likes D-Dub, Flaps10, vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NZDubNurd View Post
    Three shot, two women dead, house on fire in Whangarei shooting:
    Turns out... it's a guy I vaguely knew! Had his number in my phone! Have been to his house

Unsurprisingly, there's been a call made for tougher gun control... one person making these calls is a "lawyer"...

The gunman had NO gun license and had been declined for one... so all the guns he had were illegal anyway - tougher laws would STILL have been being broken...

Where do we get these "Experts"???

17. Likes PetrolDave, vreihen, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NZDubNurd View Post
    Where do we get these "Experts"???
    My guess is that lobotomies are 100% free under your national healthcare plan.....

19. Likes NZDubNurd liked this post