Advice on weaponry

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
I sighted in Bruce's .30-06 Remington 700 (180gr pointed softpoint lead bullet on right), my .30-06 Remington 700 (150gr all copper GMX bullet in handloaded shell in middle) and my CVA .50 cal muzzleloader (270gr all copper bullet on left). All hit minute of deer on the 1/7th scale deer at 75 yd. That'll do, deer ... that'll do.

Hd8Va0z.jpg

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Thanks Andy. 10" off at 75 yards after the slight accident in the garage during hunting season where the rifle fell over and hit the concrete floor is pretty significant. Thanks for dialing it back in. It was on my list to do but since you and Shaun had a day scheduled, glad you could take the time to center it.

I plan to take my rifle to Ross Mountain and shoot there next week. Make sure I am good to go. Make sure the bone head behind the rifle can put it on target!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
How better for Eric to celebrate October 10th than by dual-wielding 10mm pistols:

Also we used Ye Olde Looke Through Barrel trick to get Mike's new Remington 700 .30-06 deer rifle onto paper and he humanely harvested a 1/7th scale 2D deer:

OQZdupv.jpg

Dp184nn.jpg

KofWZ6g.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
How better for Eric to celebrate October 10th than by dual-wielding 10mm pistols:
Well that was a bit disappointing. I was expecting a mag-dump from both of them! :D

-Uwe-

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Well that was a bit disappointing. I was expecting a mag-dump from both of them! :D

-Uwe-

It would take weeks to locate all that brass. :p

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490

LTL weapons are still weapons. The promo vids are straight out of dystopian 80's movies.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Here's one for the "advice on weaponry" thread...

I am currently entangled in the affairs of someone who, rather suddenly as of last week, now meets the ATF's definition of a prohibited person. It's extremely likely they would no longer pass a background check. This person already owns a number of firearms. To fix this problem quickly, I've proposed to buy them all, bring them home, and then worry about resale later at my leisure to make myself whole, and they have agreed.

This is absolutely, positively not a straw purchase/holding situation. It's in the interests of this person and my other loved ones to see these firearms out of the household quickly and permanently. That's why I'm involved.

Does anyone here have experience, advice, or resources to look at for handling such a situation? My initial thought was to make the transaction happen at a FFL dealer, but IDK if the seller gets background checked as well, and if that's going to produce more drama than it's worth. Is there any particular problem with two private citizens doing business privately? Do I want a record of the sale? Does it matter that I'm traveling interstate to do so? Should I delete this post and call a lawyer? :confused: Looking to get this done simply and quietly, and hopefully fully legitimately.

Advice on good auction sites or other ways to put a good average market value on various things-that-go-bang would also be appreciated, since I'd like to make this as close to break-even as possible for myself.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Assuming you are an Ohio resident, the first question is whether the other party is also an Ohio resident? If not, then you absolutely must use an FFL.

If the person is an Ohio resident, then it's up to Ohio. Some states have no restrictions on private transfers, other prohibit them entirely, and some states are in between. An example of the latter: In PA, private transfers of long guns are OK, but handguns require the parties to make the transfer at an FFL. A bit of searching indicates Ohio has no restrictions, except that the person on the receiving end may not be a prohibited person:
https://consumer.findlaw.com/consumer-transactions/private-gun-sale-laws-by-state.html

Now whether it's a good idea for you to accept these firearms w/o going though an FFL is whole 'nother question, which I don't feel comfortable trying to answer.

Without an FFL, I'd want a written bill-of-sale listing the makes, models, serial numbers, both parties' contact info, and I'd probably put copies of both parties' IDs on it was well. This will protect you in case one of more of the guns has some kind of illicit history, and it will protect the other party if the authorities ever question what became of the firearms he used to own.

If you do get an FFL involved, I do not think the seller has to undergo a background check. I believe the FFL will wish to record the seller's info and will likely want ID, but I don't think that's required by law or regulation.

Note: I'm giving you this from memory.

The only firearms auction site I'm at all familiar with is Gunbroker. I have purchased some guns that way years ago; they were shipped to a local FFL, where I paid the fee to have them transferred. The FFLs were never particularly interested in where the guns came from; just that I (as the buyer) could pass the background check.

-Uwe-

PS: He needs to get rid of any and all ammo as well. I doubt it happens often, but I remember reading about some case where the authorities were pissed at someone who was a prohibited person and busted him after finding nothing more than a few loose cartridges in various calibers.

Last edited:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I'm a resident of Ohio, and the person in question is a resident of Missouri. I'm traveling down there in a couple days, and I'd planned to do business in person while assisting with certain other aspects of the shitshow-in-progress. Everything in question (ammo included) has already been temporarily placed beyond physical access, so it's just a matter of completing the transfer and bringing them home.

I'm perfectly fine using a FFL, in fact I prefer to do so, fully documented and above board. My only worry was the seller's name being run at some point and somehow that turning into a "O RLY seller [has|had] guns so FEDGOV SMASH" sort of situation, which would suck when we're trying to do the right thing. So it's nice to know that's not typically a problem.

Is a FFL dealer in MO going to have any particular problem handling a transfer to an Ohio resident in person? I don't need to have this stuff shipped to an Ohio FFL, do I?

Bringing this around to a marginally forum related topic, comments welcome on whether storage in the "trunk" underneath the carpet-and-fiberboard hatch storage cover in a Mk7.5 Golf R counts as "not immediately accessible" to the driver for purposes of transiting Illinois. ;) Internet advice on this topic consists largely of "go around" if I'm not interested in buying storage cases for all this crap.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I'm a resident of Ohio, and the person in question is a resident of Missouri.
Then I believe a private transfer would be illegal on the federal level.

Is a FFL dealer in MO going to have any particular problem handling a transfer to an Ohio resident in person? I don't need to have this stuff shipped to an Ohio FFL, do I?
If there are handguns involved, I believe the answer is yes, it needs to be handled by an FFL in your state of residence. With long guns, it might be acceptable to the feds, but most FFLs won't do it anyway.

Bringing this around to a marginally forum related topic, comments welcome on whether storage in the "trunk" underneath the carpet-and-fiberboard hatch storage cover in a Mk7.5 Golf R counts as "not immediately accessible" to the driver for purposes of transiting Illinois. ;) Internet advice on this topic consists largely of "go around" if I'm not interested in buying storage cases for all this crap.
I would second that advice.

I think the "right" way to do this is for you and the other party to take the whole batch of stuff to an FFL in MO and let him ship it all to your FFL in OH.

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Then I believe a private transfer would be illegal on the federal level.
Well, I'm glad I asked.

If there are handguns involved, I believe the answer is yes, it needs to be handled by an FFL in your state of residence. With long guns, it might be acceptable to the feds, but most FFLs won't do it anyway.
At least one, yes. I know there's a S&W .357 revolver, an AR-15 of some flavor, and potentially "a few others" not yet known to me.

I would second that advice.

I think the "right" way to do this is for you and the other party to take the whole batch of stuff to an FFL in MO and let him ship it all to your FFL in OH.
Agreed. Thanks for the pointers. Looks like it's time to make some phone calls.

Having looked into this further, it looks like it's basically impossible to receive a gun while traveling, which is interesting. So you'd have no way to acquire a gun while staying at your southern residence? Or vice versa, if your southern residence is the official one now, you couldn't buy a gun while up north? It looks like you can technically buy but not receive, the FFL has to ship it to your home state FFL for the Federal background check (which makes literally no sense).

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Having looked into this further, it looks like it's basically impossible to receive a gun while traveling, which is interesting. So you'd have no way to acquire a gun while staying at your southern residence? Or vice versa, if your southern residence is the official one now, you couldn't buy a gun while up north? It looks like you can technically buy but not receive, the FFL has to ship it to your home state FFL for the Federal background check (which makes literally no sense).
It's been a while since I looked at the nuances of this. If you have a residence in more than one state, my recollection is that it's a bit of a gray area, and again there may be a difference between a long gun and a handgun. The ATF considers you a resident of that state while you are actually residing there, even if your official residence (driver's license, voter registration etc) make you a resident of a different one. So in theory, I should be able to purchase a long gun from an FFL down in FL. The catch is that the weapon must be legal in the state of one's official residence. This means most FFLs are simply unwilling to deal with anyone from out-of-state, and and that goes double so for anyone from areas of the country known to have various restrictions on capacity and other features. PA has no restrictions, but since it's in the "northeast", people don't realize it's a relatively free state when it comes to firearms. Bottom line: I've only ever purchased firearms in my home state of PA.

-Uwe-

bobster

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=406029
I would go with any of the options listed above. I do not own an SR-22 but shot a friends at the range and liked it. I would get one with the threaded barrel so it can be suppressed easily. It this day and age you may find it hard to find a decent firearm for sale reasonably.

I don't see your state listed but the NRA offers a Hunter Education Safety course for free if your state allows it. I took it last year and it is very in-depth and informative. LINK

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
I have become such a fudd. I went to the shooting range and fired exactly TWO shots on the 75yd range, just to confirm my .50 cal muzzleloader and .30-06 rifle are sighted in to minute-of-deer:

RiQMdWu.jpg

cq0pHeI.jpg

SCz5hPt.jpg

FYI, those aren't ideal shot placement for real-sized deer, you'd want lower and to the left in the heart/lung/liver area but for a 1/7 scale animal hitting an inch away from point of aim is good enough for me.

It was a beautiful day and I had the place mostly to myself:

t9YftbU.jpg

hYn2hRg.jpg

Nature gave me some bright targets for my .45 ACP Sig P220:

W53svRj.jpg

I think I might need to buy a .22 TCM pistol:
mba4ROh.jpg

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
it happens to all of us Andy.. Fudd Smith.. Fudd Bear.. but, Fudd Ross may be shooting from the balcony deck this year... more on that later!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I think I might need to buy a .22 TCM pistol:
One of the few handgun calibers for which ammo is currently available at a reasonable price. Who'd have thunk it?

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yet in 2017, the ATF stated in a letter that
As a result of this FTISB evaluation, the submitted "PF940C" is not sufficiently complete to be classified as the frame or receiver of a firearm and thus not a "firearm" as defined in the GCA. Consequently, the aforementioned items are therefor not subject to GCA provisions and implementing regulations.

So they explicitly say, "Yeah, what you're selling is legal" but then a few years later they come and do a raid?

-Uwe-

Back