Advice on weaponry

Katie Ross

Web Mistress
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN1-000276
He takes her to the range, but most @ RTRC feel one should shoot their own reloads only. I reload 9mm often enough that I'm not likely to mess any of the steps and never having had an issue in the 8000 9mm reloads I shot so far confirms that, so I have no qualms letting guests shoot mine :) I will also shoot Andy's reloads (no homo) in 9mm and .45 :thumbs:

Not often enough to keep my aim from going to shit!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
He takes her to the range, but most @ RTRC feel one should shoot their own reloads only. I reload 9mm often enough that I'm not likely to mess any of the steps and never having had an issue in the 8000 9mm reloads I shot so far confirms that, so I have no qualms letting guests shoot mine :) I will also shoot Andy's reloads (no homo) in 9mm and .45 :thumbs:

On a related note:

:popcorn:

Reactions: Uwe

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Hah! Does Eric still have the most reloads out of everyone?

Yes, by far. He accounts for almost 64% of the total while I am at 20%.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
11.4% of the total of 32,575 rounds we've made.

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
ZCc4RgK.jpg

10 shots from Glock 20 at 25yds. 10mm is the best mm :)

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Lately we've been having a pest problem in the form of crows. It may be partially due to us getting chickens a while back (fully grown and given to us with the large coop). Regardless of why the crows are there, the accumulation of bird shit on top of every fence post, the chimney, etc was enough for me.

My first couple of quarrels with the dark creatures was when I grabbed my airsoft Glock 18 (for those without the glock decoder ring, the G18 is a select fire weapon. Keep in mind here I'm talking about an airsoft gun, not the real one). With the G18 I would basically mag dump their ass from across the yard and hope to chase them off.

Now that they hang out in the area and start fighting with each other in the dark mornings, my woman has agreed to look the other way while I kack one with more appropriate means. Birds tend to get creeped out if you kill one of their kind and then hang the remains up. Come to think about it, I would probably avoid some guys yard if he had a couple of dead humans hanging up.

So I pulled out the little Ruger target 10/22 I posted pics of earlier in this thread, and the box of very, very quiet 22 ammo. No need for a silencer, these short 22 rounds are "primer only". They're not only subsonic, the loudest thing you hear is sound of the round hitting the target. On your end all you hear is click, like it's an unloaded gun. The first few times I shot these rounds I thought for sure it was stuck in the barrel. That is when I switched from paper targets to a piece of wood, so I can hear the "whack" when it hits.

This type of ammo is not proving to be accurate, but will shoot in a sub-2" group at 30-ish feet. Knowing that the trajectory of this super feeble ammo would be completely different than conventional 22 ammo, I grabbed a chunk of 2x4 and dialed in my scope to produce good results at 30'.

The next day I heard one on the fence post outside our bedroom window. You have to single load each round with your fingers, so I got set up and there he was. I got one so far, though he was able to get off the property before I could curb stomp his ass.

I'll update as I harvest more.

------------
unrelated...
My handloads for rifles, taught to me by my father many years ago have produced some really good results. These targets are from a long while back but represent why we do this.

This target was shot by my son at 200 yards, over my Remington 700 in .243
justin200yds.jpg

The called shot was when I fired the rifle I was shooting right as he was bearing down next to me. There are four rounds in the little clover leaf and the squares are 1".

This one is me shooting the same rifle, same distance, but seated with a tall bipod the way most coyote shooters do.
243200yd58Vmax.jpg

This next one is only 100 yards, shot by me with my Sako A75 single shot, in 22PPC
Sako1feb6.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What, no double-taps? :rolleyes:

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Not when there's a chronograph in front of the barrel :) Double taps are eminently do-able even with nuclear loads. Plenty of real estate to grip around.

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
I've been down as low as 1.0 weapons in my life and when it was, it was my P220.

100% reliable and stupid accurate. Ergos are flawless and the single action trigger is great. I always carry decocked and thumb the hammer back on the way up. For me, DA is for belly gun distances when retention is primary.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Flaps, you may appreciate this:

9QwzR5H.jpg

I picked it up a couple years ago, old stamped steel slide (note the dual roll pin) and heel magazine release (which is retro-cool but kinda annoying). I got it from our LGS and it came with 6 mags, a cop holster, all in a sketchy looking brown paper bag. :thumbs:

QT2oWWL.jpg

I have since replaced the grips with non-cracked ones, but they are very hard to find - again that heel magazine release.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Also here's some .223 about to get loaded:

EpuvB5o.jpg

Reactions: Uwe
Back