Advice on weaponry

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The situation is this: neighbors (the LEO) decided to start raising racoon bait, wife decides "we" (translated: me) need to raise racoon bait too.
tyFGzUy.gif

RTHQ has a very wide selection
RTHQ doesn't have anything at all. But the people who work there, well... :cool:

My collection grew by about $10K for free the day before that NJ law went into effect!
Fixed that for you.

flygteye

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=79663
Seeing as "gun" is the new four letter word in the media these days, it sure is nice to see some positive conversation about it. I don't have anything to add about the .22 handgun as I don't know much about .22 handguns, but for a rifle I'd go with the Ruger 10/22 also.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Hey...don't go hating on The Garbage State because of their strange concepts of public safety. (*) My collection grew by about $10K for free the day before that NJ law went into effect! :p

Fixed that for you.

You had no way of knowing this, but I stood by helplessly and watched the First Amendment die yesterday at work. :mad: I have no intention to let the Second Amendment die this week as well!!!!!

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
The Ruger 10/22 rifle is getting a lot of positive comments here and among some other friends. I think I will eventually be going with [meme://whynotboth.jpg] anyway. There are several ranges around here with rental guns. I think I'll visit a range and try out a 10/22, and I'll probably end up buying one. Then once I'm comfortable with that and I've got a relationship with the people at that range, take some of their training classes and think about an SR22.

Jason

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
As a Savage 64 FXP owner myself (and Ruger semi-fanboy), I do find the 10/22 ergonomics weird, if not dumb. I think it's the USB connector of firearms. But mags are cheap and aftermarket support is great if you're into that ;)

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
As a Savage 64 FXP owner myself (and Ruger semi-fanboy), I do find the 10/22 ergonomics weird, if not dumb. I think it's the USB connector of firearms. But mags are cheap and aftermarket support is great if you're into that ;)
Well, that's the idea behind renting one first, by Uwe's recommendation among others.

I might like to have a scope, but beyond that I don't think I'll be adding a bunch of tacticool trinkets.

Speaking from experience, 10/22's can have a neat party trick:
Is that the 10/22 Breakdown variant? How do you like it... is it worth the extra money?

Jason

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Is that the 10/22 Breakdown variant? How do you like it... is it worth the extra money?

Jason

Yep, I like the takedown for its compact storage and it's just plain neat. There is about $100-150 premium for that feature so might not be worth it for everyone. Then again, there doesn't seem to be any downside in terms of repeatability or accuracy compared to regular 10/22 models. Most aftermarket stuff works on takedowns other than barrels. One thing to keep in mind with 10/22's is it's darn hard to keep them un-modded. Every single part of the gun including the receiver has multiple aftermarket sources all claiming better and enhanced this or that. With the Savage 64, you are protected from this temptation by the lack of aftermarket parts. :)

BTW, here are some more pics from my Appleseed shoot:

http://imgur.com/a/SocOW

Even if you don't even own a gun, I highly recommend going . They will lend you everything you need:

http://appleseedinfo.org/

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Most aftermarket stuff works on takedowns other than barrels.
And stocks. At least not w/o lots of modification. :p

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Yep, I like the takedown for its compact storage and it's just plain neat.
D'oh! Almost sounded like a legitimate gun enthusiast there in my last post, then I screwed it up. :)

There is about $100-150 premium for that feature so might not be worth it for everyone. Then again, there doesn't seem to be any downside in terms of repeatability or accuracy compared to regular 10/22 models.
Good info, thanks.

Most aftermarket stuff works on takedowns other than barrels. One thing to keep in mind with 10/22's is it's darn hard to keep them un-modded. Every single part of the gun including the receiver has multiple aftermarket sources all claiming better and enhanced this or that.
My intent is to buy a tool to do a job, no different than I do for my cars.

That's not to say it won't spin wildly out of control into a major hobby. After all, HEX-NET was just a tool. ;)

Jason

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Heck, for a only a few dollars more, you could get stainless (so you'd have far fewer worries about rust) and get it Cerakoted in the camo pattern of your choice. :cool:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
See, this is why I was avoiding the whole gun thing for so long. It gets so complicated. I come in with a simple question, like, "what is the part number of a good short-range raccoon ventilator?" and it starts simple. Then it goes off the rails, like shoe/purse shopping with my wife.

:)

Jason

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
See, this is why I was avoiding the whole gun thing for so long. It gets so complicated. I come in with a simple question, like, "what is the part number of a good short-range raccoon ventilator?" and it starts simple. Then it goes off the rails, like shoe/purse shopping with my wife.

Just don't do this, and you'll be fine....

031.jpg

Back