Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
What I would buy for a do-it-all .22 pistol is a Ruger SR22. Not too big to conceal, not too small to aim accurately, and very reliable.
Hrm... interwebs say it's chambered for .22LR which would certainly be handy if I wanted a rifle later. I'll put it on the short list.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
Where's "Back home"? The laws do indeed vary by state and if you wish to be a "law abiding citizen", you have to check the laws of every state you'll pass through. www.handgunlaw.us is a good place to start. Personally, I only claim to be a "peaceable citizen", not a law-abiding one.
Back home is St. Louis. In addition to Missouri, we pass through Illinois and one of Indiana or Kentucky depending on my mood and the weather. If I recall correctly, even without a permit I should be mostly okay if it's unloaded and secured in the trunk. Then I read that individual cities like Chicago (not that we'd pass through) have their own rules and I quit reading before my blood pressure spiked any further. I don't know how people who actually carry keep track of this stuff.

Jason