Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DSG Tcu programming

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Personally I think better drivers would be had, if everyone had to learn how to drive a manual clutch motorcycle & before getting behind a wheel.
    This. If you survive a couple of years of daily commuting on a motorcycle, you'll probably be a petty safe driver.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    learn how to drive a manual
    All my cars before were manual. My other 2 cars are still manual.
    I use my GTI on weekends at the drag strip, so I see the merits of the DSG.
    In Jamaica, we have a serious traffic problem due to poor road designs and inconsiderate drivers who choose to block every intersection by disregarding the traffic lights.
    The manual gearbox in this country becomes the dinosaur reserved for the drag-strip and the few open roads we have here. Otherwise, clutch wear is prevalent which inching forward in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NitrousOxide View Post
    The manual gearbox in this country becomes the dinosaur reserved for the drag-strip and the few open roads we have here. Otherwise, clutch wear is prevalent which inching forward in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
    That's down to driving technique - my previous car was an Audi B7 RS4 with a 4.2L V8 and a manual gearbox (there was no DSG option) which I used as my daily commute in "rush hour" traffic that averaged 11mph stop-start bumper-to-bumper traffic, that still had the original clutch (with no slip even when I gave it full beans) when I sold it at 10 years old with 85,000 miles on the clock.

4. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    averaged 11mph stop-start bumper-to-bumper traffic
    Our traffic is slower than that here (a real stand-still). The only time there is movement is early mornings, and late evenings.

My Mitsubishi Evolution 7 has a Stage3 clutch which is either fully engaged, or disengaged. There is no slipping in between.

My beater Mazda RX7 (financial mistake) has a Stage2, so it is more bearable.
    Last edited by NitrousOxide; 04-13-2018 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Added clutch type

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NitrousOxide View Post
    In Jamaica, we have a serious traffic problem due to poor road designs and inconsiderate drivers who choose to block every intersection by disregarding the traffic lights.
    In that case, a standard automatic with a hydraulic torque converter would probably be better than a DSG, since a DSG also has a clutch that will wear out in constant start/stop conditions.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

7. Likes NZDubNurd, PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, but I like the feeling of a distinct "shift" when I'm on the track or open road.