Sticky HEX-NET or HEX-V2 Firmware Update Failed?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Tried everything, rebooting, uninstalling, reinstallling, different internet connections (wifi from home, thetered from mobile phone and such with no luck), deactivated windows firewall and many more.
Try again. Server was down for a bit earlier.

-Uwe-

5PBKD

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=312442
Try again. Server was down for a bit earlier.

-Uwe-
Thanks Uwe.. worked flawless.

Tomorrow I'll run an Auto Scan of my new car (Cupra Formentor - Chasis Code: KM shares Manufacturer code with Seat brand -VSSZZZ-).

BruceG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=359669
Update!! it works now :banghead:
Here's what I did... it may be helpful for someone in the same situation.
I attached my cable to my laptop and started VCIconfig, it gave me the same error! I unplugged the cable (without closing VCIconfig) to plug it back to a different USB port. I started the update and it went smooth after!!!
Odd and weird, but it works :confused: I spent 5 hours yesterday trying to update the firmware but this time it took less than 5 minutes!
Thanks
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Everyone,
I can't update my firmware! I went through this post and did everything it says.
I tried two computers (laptop and desktop) using fresh VCDS software on both devices.
However, my CB says 0.0, and the cable flashes red, not blue or green.
Any idea how to fix it??
Thanks in advance.
ALf.png
unable.png

Last edited:

VWT6

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295527
Attempt to update HEX-V2 from CB:0.4553 to 0.4555 lead eventually to the error depicted above - CB: 0.0 and left LED flashing red :eek:

A kind of early symptom was that the status line at the bottom was fluctuating randomly: Transferring 27% remaining 1, 19% 1, 23% 2, 1% 86, etc. I gave up after 2 hours and did the steps in the post above and the problem was solved in about 2 minutes :thumbs:.

PS. The registration issue - was it a bit random lengthy message "A vehicle identification number (VIN) is required to properly load data for UDS modules...." when trying to connect (any) module? Perhaps related only to recent CB version(s) as haven't seen that earlier?

PS2. @Eric thanks again for the "repeat"-functionality for the maps in Beta 21.8 >here< Extremely useful :thanks:

Last edited:

Isaac-1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=438210
I have a HEX-V2 which I bought last spring and just did a software update, which now requires a firmware update, when I try to do the firmware update I get the same connection failure message noted above about can't connect to TCP port 11000, I have tried doing the firmware update 2 or 3 times per day for the last 3 days with no luck. Any help resolving this would be most appreciated.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@Isaac-1: Hi. I'm not sure if this will help, but some time ago when I first upgraded my laptop (to a later release Surface PRO), I had a similar issue with the TCP port 1100 message (in my case, I suspect that the bi-directional handshaking facility that TCP needs to operate wasn't happening correctly)

Anyhow - to fix the problem, I reconfigured the status of VCDS to "public" in windows defender screen below.

Again, not sure if your situation is the same, but it's an easy try - so worth a shot IMO!

Don

DG4VQY3.png

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
We recently had another person all frustrated that he couldn't do a firmware update, and the problem ended up being the network/router he was using. So a different network connection (such as tethering off your phone's hotspot) is also worth trying.

-Uwe-

MrWoodcock

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=490763
Hello,

My Hex-v2 is all of a sudden having an issue with interface staying connected. It's easily duplicated by trying to update the firmware but happens when I try other features like scanning a vehicle.

When I plug in the adapter I hear windows connect and the status light turn blue. Opening up the config, I can see the serial and version like it would expect.
X3OwSy3g5m_jNjSZCFbnxV12GxV_Oey2ECOqTxCDpYI4huGLZwq-MTOG00B-RdGp0j7M0Pxo9VZ_fUVrCLR9a6s0gGHWy5QosMaKCH-0U4D_W6nSdeJmnEgooMdxEIuEqjxs4ycfdA=w2400

Going to the update tab, I can check and locate an update.
YNUYP1epkMoO6UMqjsXT7eFwc48rGMx1oDC1VwDoqO4r4gFCL5dGbAuR9tsPee9bjSPOw1wrrVApHPkIkAh2O7E9RS8JkSgkv-PeJ7yujbg0DiNdLgv-JYi3GE-mM5G4tzFAwpvnwg=w2400

When I click download the interface disconnects, the light flashes green and stays that way.
H_TVO2Hh6pjUvHXyFkDE-XB_2dVhzeL05p75xAPGk9_aFjbSXl4SSTLShbujmXQrM-WXMMd8TbrynlvQuY3X1VvNy5GBPo0tCMx-OxsLYl1SdtLHLbvX8qxIrXXCHAqe6vJHqkAhSw=w2400

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It's easily duplicated by trying to update the firmware but happens when I try other features like scanning a vehicle.
First thing to try: A different USB port (assuming you have one).
Second thing to try: Updating using a different PC. You don't need to install VCDS for this, you can just grab VCIConfig.exe and hidapi.dll.
Next thing to try: A different USB cable (any USB-A to USB-B "printer" cable).

If none of this solves the problem, please e-mail or call Support; your HEX-V2 is clearly still under warranty.

-Uwe-

MrWoodcock

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=490763
Different Computer worked! Little annoyed that my $3K laptop, which I have used before, is not working now.

Thanks!

Edit: Maybe the interface just needed to be updated. Now my laptop is connecting and scanning just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
"Bad update download" sounds like you have some kind of antivirus or firewall type software that interfered with the download.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Different Computer worked! Little annoyed that my $3K laptop, which I have used before, is not working now.
$3k? What kind of laptop is this? Details please?

Is it safe to think that you didn't uncheck "Fix Windows HID power mgmt..." in the installer?

Any chance it's putting the USB ports to sleep? Check Power Options -> Advanced Settings and make sure that "USB selective suspend" is set to Disabled:

USB-SelectiveSuspend.png

-Uwe-

egecko

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=347315
Hopefully this information can help others that are having upgrade issues, as well information from previous posts.

I had this same problem within the 1st year of purchase (when I registered on the forums). It pretty much had the same results as everyone else, letting it update overnight, stuck on transferring, etc.

-I completed a hard reset 45-50 secs after reading a post from Uwe. NOGO

-Tried different computers Mac w/HexNetConfigV1.9 & V2.0, 2 Windows PC VCDS and both Ver of HexNetConfig. NOGO

-Miraculously a popup appeared and stated UDP PORT 777 and TCP PORT 10002 (Not PORT 11000).

-I verified Windows PC's IP address and opened both PORTS using PortForwarding to the PC IP.

example:
Name: HEX-NET777
Destination IP/Port: 192.168.15.211:777
Protocol: UDP

Name: HEX-NET10002
Destination IP/Port: 192.168.15.211:10002
Protocol: TCP

Update completed within a few minutes and I was back up again.

Afterwards, I disable the PortForwarding until next time I update and just use Mac HexNetConfig for setup (and Windows only if needed).

**Of course I have to update the PortForwarding PC IP if I have to set to DCHP, but I keep it set for Static IP.

My network setup:

Fiber to the Home

Ubiquiti:
EdgeRouterX
USGPro (Unifi Security Gateway Pro)
16port PoE Switch
Several Access Points

• Informative

cpockette

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=353164
I recently experienced the same issue trying to update the firmware and found I had to temporarily reduce the security level on my WiFi Router from Maximum to Typical. This allowed for a successful network test and update.

• Informative

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
temporarily reduce the security level on my WiFi Router from Maximum to Typical.
What kind of router is it? Make & model might be useful here.

-Uwe-

cpockette

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=353164
COX communications brands it "Panoramic". The manufacturer is actually Arris , model TG1682G.

Click on "Firewall", then IPv4. You can then select the security level.

• Informative

Ash3Auto

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=444321
Hi all

Had the same problem with update taking a long time to complete. Really frustrating to wait while a customer is waiting for their vehicle. Ended up closing the update after 2hours.

Tried the same thing that BruceG has done, updated in 2 minutes.

Thank you Bruce :)

Doccutter

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=71879
Hello! Any chance the server is down? I’m trying to connect, my cable says it needs a firmware update, but I’m getting the error in VCIconfig, says it can’t connect to server.

widi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=512383
Hello! Any chance the server is down? I’m trying to connect, my cable says it needs a firmware update, but I’m getting the error in VCIconfig, says it can’t connect to server.
I have the same, not connected to the server...

Back