Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HEX-NET or HEX-V2 Firmware Update Failed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

HEX-NET or HEX-V2 Firmware Update Failed?

No, chances are it's not "bricked". Here's what you need to do:

1) Unplug your interface from all sources of power. If it's plugged into a computer, unplug the USB cable from the computer. If the other end is plugged into a car, pull the interface out of the car's OBD-II port. Let it rest for a bit. While it rests:

2) Find a PC. No, not a Mac running Windows in a VM; we need a machine that runs Windows natively. Beg, borrow, or steal one if necessary. Installing Windows on a Mac using Boot Camp will also work.

3) Make sure you have a current version of VCDS installed. The current "Release" version is always available for download from this page.

4) Make sure that the PC has internet access and that Windows Firewall isn't blocking our software's access to our server via TCP port 11,000. The current version of the VCDS Installer takes care of that for you if you don't un-check the relevant option. Note: Some routers can also be overly agressive about blocking outbound traffic. This is rare with "home" routers, but somewhat more common with those installed in corporate environments.

5) Plug your interface into a USB port on the computer.

6) Start VCIConfig manually. There should be a shortcut to it in your Windows Start menu:

Or you can start it directly in your VCDS folder:

VCIConfig should find the interface and show you its serial number. If it doesn't, unplug the interface and try a different USB port (assuming the computer has more than one), then click [Refresh Interface List].

If you get a MessageBox indicating that VCIConfig can't read the current versions like this:

... just dismiss that message; do not reboot the interface at this time.

7) Click on the Update tab and then click the [Check for Updates] button.

If this doesn't get you all fixed up, please post a screen-shot so we can see what's going on in VCIConfig.

-Uwe-
    Last edited by Uwe; 03-08-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

2. Likes Derek, Boki Ar, Santos, Dana, DrPeter and 2 others liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    `USB device not recognised` message. Tried on new cables and 4x computors. All previous usb drivers removed and fresh new instal and still it does not recognise the USB device. WI Fi to Hex-Net connects.
    On older version can diagnose through Wi Fi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RyMar View Post
    `USB device not recognised` message. Tried on new cables and 4x computors. All previous usb drivers removed and fresh new instal and still it does not recognise the USB device. WI Fi to Hex-Net connects.
    On older version can diagnose through Wi Fi.
    Mind posting a screen-shot of this error message?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    My one failed today now doesn't read the hex-v2 ARGH any other suggestions ?

All i get is the green led flashes when first connected then just flashes red
    Last edited by Kam_VAG; 03-03-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam_VAG View Post
    My one failed today now doesn't read the hex-v2 ARGH any other suggestions ?
    All i get is the green led flashes when first connected then just flashes red
    What does VCIConfig say?

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    What does VCIConfig say?

-Uwe-
    Nothing left it over night to do its magic and nothing still the same.

https://ibb.co/mbGsq7

https://ibb.co/dD4Cq7
    Last edited by Uwe; 03-04-2018 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Added in-line images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Reboot the interface. Reboot your computer. Reboot whatever is in between your computer and the internet (router, modem, whatever).

I just updated an old interface from 0.4401 to current status, so I'm confident everything on our end is working.

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Reboot the interface. Reboot your computer. Reboot whatever is in between your computer and the internet (router, modem, whatever).

I just updated an old interface from 0.4401 to current status, so I'm confident everything on our end is working.

-Uwe-
    I have formatted my hard drive re installed windows. Once its installed i will download latest version of VCDS.

Anything else i can do apart from what i wrote above ?

Post Thanks / Like
    CB: 0.0 Is that a problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam_VAG View Post
    I have formatted my hard drive re installed windows. Once its installed i will download latest version of VCDS.

Anything else i can do apart from what i wrote above ?
    Since VCIConfig sees the interface (as evidenced by the serial number), I am confident this is recoverable. The real question is, where is is the blockage?

Formatting your HD and re-installing Windows is rather more drastic than I would have done.

-Uwe-
    Last edited by Uwe; 03-05-2018 at 12:07 PM.

12. Likes Patxi liked this post